Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Why is this not a good idea. wcgr

(1/4) > >>

Elguapo511:
I have a tascam dr-2d  and i just cam across a pair of electro voice 655c (http://www.coutant.org/655c/1643.jpg)

So... I used a xlr > stereo 1/8 inch plug to just run these mics right into the dr-2d mic in  and it works fine.   

my plan is to somewhat stealth these in a loud club.

I assume I am going to run out of battery pretty fast.... but other than that, where am I going to suffer?

Poor pre amp of the tascam? they aren't too bad.  will the mics overload?

Seems like u should buy a preamp to go between, but I'm wondering why this slim and trim rig is a bad idea.

thanks all.

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
Those look awfully large for stealthing, but if you can get away with it more power to you.

I don't know anything about them so can't help with battery life or the sound.

The pre-amp in your recorder is fine. No need for another. I'd spend money on better mics to start out.

EmRR:
655C's can compete, you'd be surprised.  No phantom to pull battery down, nice.  Indeed, they are big. 

Elguapo511:
I guess stealth is the wrong word... yes they are huge,   I guess just low profile for transportation,  and ability to  drink a lot while taping.

They are Omni dynamics and pick up everything so I need to get pretty close,  so small clubs are where it’s at.

Also tryouts by not to get in anyone’s way, band or staff or patrons .

Gutbucket:

--- Quote from: Elguapo511 on January 22, 2018, 07:32:11 PM ---I assume I am going to run out of battery pretty fast....
--- End quote ---

DR2d runs about 5-6 hours on a pair of rechargeable NiMH AA's (recording 4 channels without providing mic power).  If I recall correctly, disposable lithium AAs will run it for about twice that, but double check before you rely on that figure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version