Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Comparison: mk4's > nbox platinum > DR-2D vs mk4's > PFA > mp-3

(1/1)

checht:
At Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this month, recorded sitting next to a friend and thought it would be interesting to compare our recording chain, as we were both running mk4's with active cables.

The two setups, not in any particular order:
mk4's > nbob kcy > nbox platinum > DR-2D
mk4's > KCY 250/0 lg > Naiant PFA 60v > MP-3

We were sitting side by side, mics at same height  >:D. Did my best to match the gains; if anyone can get it closer, that'd be helpful.

The 2 stereo waves, along with Audacity project files with both stereo waves, in this folder:
 https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9bkaklgwozhnkb4/AADHqWl913ez2rK95XInmw7da?dl=0

Interested in whether folks can pick out which is which, and what differences are heard..

TheMetalist:
My guess is that #1 is Nbox Platinum. That sample sounds natural and sample #2 is a bit hotter. Both sounds great, just different characteristics.

I have personally never used Platinum with MK4 but I have used it with MK41V and AKG 61/63. So, my guess is just a guess. :)

tedyun:
Wow the differences are pretty noticable here. I preferred tommy comp2. I found the soundstage wider; low end and mid range more present. The differences could be due to mic placement? Eg., was tommy comp1 in XY and tommy comp2 in DIN?

Playback: PC > Foobar (ABX Comparator plugin) > USB > Sound Devices USBPre2 > Yuin OK1 Headphones

I would guess that tommy comp2 is the nbox based on the fact that the transformers are supposed to smoothen the sound.

--- Quote from: checht on October 27, 2018, 12:47:17 AM ---At Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this month, recorded sitting next to a friend and thought it would be interesting to compare our recording chain, as we were both running mk4's with active cables.

The two setups, not in any particular order:
mk4's > nbob kcy > nbox platinum > DR-2D
mk4's > KCY 250/0 lg > Naiant PFA 60v > MP-3

We were sitting side by side, mics at same height  >:D. Did my best to match the gains; if anyone can get it closer, that'd be helpful.

The 2 stereo waves, along with Audacity project files with both stereo waves, in this folder:
 https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9bkaklgwozhnkb4/AADHqWl913ez2rK95XInmw7da?dl=0

Interested in whether folks can pick out which is which, and what differences are heard..

--- End quote ---

adrianf74:
My guess is comp 1 is the nBox Platinum and comp 2 is the PFA/MP3 showing off what the MP3 can do.  Personally, while comp 2 seems to have more of a soundstage, as Tedyun pointed out, I actually prefer the sound of comp 1 which seems flatter and more natural.

Curious to see which is which. I've voted.

checht:
Comp 1 is the PFA  > MP3 signal path.

Very interesting to read the various comments, thanks for your input.

Going to 3 CRB shows @ the Fillmore in December, and could probably borrow a couple other sets of caps to use while in SF.
Thinking to do three comparisons:
 MSTC64 > MP6 vs mk4's (ORTF) > KCY 250/0 lg > Naiant PFA 60v > MP-6
and
 MSTC64 > MP6 vs mk4v's (ORTF?) > KCY 250/0 lg > Naiant PFA 60v > MP-6
and
mk4's (ORTF) > KCY 250/0 lg > Naiant IPA > Roland R-09 vs mk4's > nbox platinum > DR-2D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version