Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wall warts going dead?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wall warts going dead?
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
Never had this happen before. 2 died in the last week powering the same gear. Both used in home and in different receptacles. I ordered a new one just to run another test. And yes I did check both dead ones with a volt meter. Any ideas? Can these things go bad? One is used to power an amp and the other a DAC, but I’m pretty sure they both died while powering the amp. I’m positive the second one did as I was listening without the DAC in the chain.

Both wall warts are the same. 16V 500mah.

Thanks for the help.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Wall warts going dead?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »

Never had this happen before. 2 died in the last week powering the same gear. Both used in home and in different receptacles. I ordered a new one just to run another test. And yes I did check both dead ones with a volt meter. Any ideas? Can these things go bad? One is used to power an amp and the other a DAC, but I’m pretty sure they both died while powering the amp. I’m positive the second one did as I was listening without the DAC in the chain.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, these things are usually very cheaply made.

The amp could have a short or something and draw more than the capacity. That could cause failure.

Do you have a meter like a "Kill-A-Watt" that you can run through to see how much power it's drawing?

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
Re: Wall warts going dead?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »

Thanks for the help.
Yes, these things are usually very cheaply made.

The amp could have a short or something and draw more than the capacity. That could cause failure.

Do you have a meter like a "Kill-A-Watt" that you can run through to see how much power it's drawing?

I agree. It was the amp that blew both wall warts out. So the amp does need to be serviced or another wall wart will blow.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com