Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Getting into my first decent TT advice

(1/4) > >>

goodcooker:

So my GF is a vinyl junkie of sorts - I lost my collection in the divorce many moons ago and since I move often for work I never really got into collecting again - but is not real savvy when it  comes to gear. Her TT at her house is one of those vintage looking cabinets with a built in speaker and the rig at my house is a Sony TT and receiver she brought over along with a crate of vinyl for us to spin.

I'm looking at a vintage "83 AR ES1 that I think I can get for pretty cheap that includes the tonearm board, Sumiko tonearm and some sort of headshell and a stylus. It's been stored with the belt off of it for a bunch of years and the cherry wood plinth seems to be in very good shape. If I can get for a steal I'm going for it but I'm a little concerned about the rabbit hole that can be getting a vintage TT performing well and up to par.

I'm not interested in doing a shitload of mods to it I just want a decent table to build a living room playback system around.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for places to gather info, replacement parts, etc, that won't break the bank. I'm not interested in spending a shitload of money on this project.

Also weird thing - the platter that is included with the table looks to be the size of a 45 - in most pictures of this table that I can find the platter is the same size as a regular 33 record. WTF?

phanophish:
Roger.

This page seems to show the smaller platter.  Looks like maybe it is the base for the full size.  Don't know that much about those turntables but it sure is purdy.  I'd worry it might be tough to find the real platter that goes with it.

https://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/vintage-ar-es-1-turntable-w-rega-rb-301-extras

raymonda:
Sounds like the picture you are looking at is one of the table sans the outer platter, so you are looking at just the sub platter. If that is the case make sure the seller has the outer platter, too. If you can see the belt then you are loooking at the sub platter. The table you are considering is a good table based on 3 point suspension, which is tried and true method of mechanical vibration control. If all is good, a quick tune up should be all you need to spin some great sound.

Here is a shameless plug but it might be more than you want to spend. Go see my ad in Yard Sale for Thorens TD 850. It comes complete with a killer cartridge. It does cost more but it actually might be just slightly more after you factor in the cartridge.

If you go with the AR, you have lots of upgrades you can do over time that will push the performance upward. There is lots of information on the internet, or PM, and I can help you along your journey.

bhtoque:
Buy a new belt and watch the tune-up videos @ www.vinylnirvana.com

If the outer platter is missing, should be ebay-able if Dave @ VN doesn't have a spare to sell you.

Also read the AR forum @ www.vinylengine.com

More info than you'll ever need, also if you really can't find a platter, reach out to Marc Morin or Steve Frosten on VE forum, they may have too

JAson

twatts (pants are so over-rated...):
Talk to Raymonda...  And then trade your Schoeps for that sweet 'tang...

Terry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version