Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Leaving the battery plugged in?  (Read 5828 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Leaving the battery plugged in?
« on: April 22, 2003, 07:09:54 PM »
Real quick question: I just bought a new bag so I can run my V2 vertically and adjust the levels a little easier than having it flat on the ground. I have enough vertical room to run the mic cables out of the back of it and leave 'em there permanently, and I'm curious - can I just leave my battery plugged in to the V2 between shows for a minimum of pre-show setup, or is this not a good idea? If it's just a question of draining a little juice, it's no big deal - the battery is rated for 87WH - but if I'm risking corroded contacts or something I'll just yank it out between shows.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Leaving the battery plugged in?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 07:23:24 PM »
i dont know specifics, but i wouldn't try it....spondz a little risky and ALWAYS better safe than sorry....when i leave my dat plugged into my eco-charge, it will die in about a day or 2 and thats NOT recording, just being plugged in....but i could be totally wrong.... ???

my 00.02

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 07:29:30 PM »
leave everything plugged into the back of the pre(mic,batt,digi cables), but don't connect the power cable to the battery until showtime.  That should still be super quick to get up and running.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 07:51:51 PM »
All my battery setups are geared as follows specifically so I can do exactly what wboswell recommends:

Device Plug ----------- 4-pin XLR-M
4-pin XLR-F ----------- Battery

This gives me flexibility to swap out any of my 6v batteries for any of the others, and allows me to keep the device battery cable plugged into the unit but free from the battery while also keeping the cabling hooked up to the battery.  Snap the two XLRs together and off I go...easy peasy.

Running my V2 and now V3 vertically, I tape the device cable's XLR-M plug to the side of the V2/3 for easy access before the show so I didn't have to go digging around for it pre-show.  Sometimes the little things make a big difference...(or maybe I'm just an OCD taper)  :P

Are you using right-angle XLRs for your mic and power cables?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 08:39:29 AM »
Are you using right-angle XLRs for your mic and power cables?

Nope...got all the stuff used (thanks to Jonny for the cables!), though after seeing some right-angles in action the other day, they went on my wish list.

Thanks for the suggestions - looking back at your bag pics, Brian, I see what you mean by taping the power cable to your pre for easy access. Looks like a plan. Thanks! +T

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 11:50:41 AM »
(or maybe I'm just an OCD taper)  :P

Aren't we all ;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 12:14:50 PM »
though after seeing some right-angles in action the other day, they went on my wish list.

If your XLRs are supporting the weight of the V2 in your bag, you may want to make the move to right-angle XLRs sooner rather than later - the weight and pressure on the regular XLRs can cause the XLR terminals on the V2 to come loose.  This isn't really specific to the V2, it applies to all scenarios where the XLR connection is supporting the weight of the unit.

An alternative to right-angle XLRs for the weight/pressure problem of regular XLRs supporting the unit:  build a cardboard box support.  Cut holes in the box for the XLRs to pass through.  This way, the weight of the unit is supported by the frame of the device on top of the cardboard box, and the XLRs bear no weight or pressure at all.

In my bag pics, you can see the cardboard box I built and used temporarily - easy peasy, just cardboard and duct/packing tape.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 01:39:40 PM »
I wouldn't leave the battery plugged in between shows... I usually unplug mine but forgot to do it after a show last weekend.  Of course, something bumped the power switch on my Apogee to the "ON" position and when I checked it before a show last night, the 12v was dead.  Thankfully, AC power was availible, but it could've been disasterous.

-Lee
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline greenone

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 01:55:27 PM »
An alternative to right-angle XLRs for the weight/pressure problem of regular XLRs supporting the unit:  build a cardboard box support.  Cut holes in the box for the XLRs to pass through.  This way, the weight of the unit is supported by the frame of the device on top of the cardboard box, and the XLRs bear no weight or pressure at all.

I did see that too...and lord knows I've got plenty of spare cardboard laying around with all the mail ordering I do. :D I'll have to look into that.

As for bean and having the deck plugged in, I know that decks still take juice even if they're sleeping to keep the internal clock going (which is pretty much useless anyway - does ANYBODY use the time/date on a D7/D7??) but I'm wondering if a V2 does. Of course there's an easy way to find out but I don't particularly want to go that route. ;)

Lee, good point about tripping the power on a plugged-in device - the V2's rocker switch is harder to bump accidentally than an Apogee with the housing around it but again, not a risk worth taking.

Thanks to all!

--Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com