Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another quick question  (Read 6153 times)

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
Another quick question
« on: May 08, 2003, 05:21:38 PM »
Sorry to bother you guys again but i had two more quick questions.

First, I was talking to a friend who is not a taper but he does sound work so he is familiar with some of the taping equipment. He brought up the idea of running mic>DA-P1 for the first few shows I'm doing over the summer. Then getting enough money together to buy a pre/ad such as a V2-mod. SBM or a mod.UA-5 or something to that effect. My question is would this work or would the DA-P1 overload with the loud music.
Second, If this does work, I would be looking to get some higher priced mics such as AKG 480 with the ck1 and ck3 caps or something else. Would you guys recomened this or should i stay with a lower priced mic such as a akg 391/3. After a lot of thought i decided I wanted switchable caps no matter what.
Thanks alot guys
Geoff
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003, 05:21:58 PM by geoff piper »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:Another quick question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 05:37:13 PM »
oade can do some mod's to the da-p1 that will keep it from overloading under loud SLP's, with the mod's it does a nice job as an all in one unit. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 05:43:19 PM »
oade can do some mod's to the da-p1 that will keep it from overloading under loud SLP's, with the mod's it does a nice job as an all in one unit. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Alternatively, you could get an external phantom power box like the PS-2 and just run line-in on the DA-P1:

480s > PS2 > DA-P1 line-in

And if that isn't enough gain, you could add a couple line transformers to the mix (but I don't think it would be necessary with the 480s):

480s > PS2 > line transformers > DA-P1
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 05:45:27 PM »
good point Brian, +t
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 05:57:06 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. Sorry to bother you all, but when i get an idea in my head then i like to get knowledge of it before i make a decision.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. Sorry to bother you all, but when i get an idea in my head then i like to get knowledge of it before i make a decision.

You're welcome.  Smart play - it always pays to make an informed decision.  Now stop apologizing.   :P  Questions like this are exactly why this board exists and we're all here - to help each other out.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 11:14:21 PM »
i ran akg480/ck61 > ps-2 > d-100 a few times and was pretty pleased w/ my results.  the signal from the 480s was hot enough that i didn't have to worry about using any line transformers.  i have an o.a.r. tape sitting on my hd in shn using that setup if you'd like to get an idea of what it sounds like.  if you are interested drop me a pm here or email me at nculbreth@cinci.rr.com and i can upload it to you tomorrow if you'd like.

nick

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 10:24:29 AM »
nmculbreth is exactly right.  You can run the 480s line in to the P1 if you have a power supply for them.  If you don't have a power supply, you'll want to run either the pad on the mic or the pad on the P1 if not both.  The more wide open (as close to 10 on the dial)you can run the P1, the better.  I ran this set up for a little while and it definately gets the job done.  Just be sure to run the pads!

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 11:06:39 PM »
the only instance where you might need a line transformer is if you do an acoustic show from fairly far away. For electric shows you'll be good to go w/ a power supply>line in.

BTW, I suggest the Denecke PS-2 as was mentioned before. Sounds good and a single 9V will power it for at least 5 or 6 hours in my experience.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com