Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $2000 system  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
$2000 system
« on: January 25, 2005, 10:55:28 PM »
so a good friends just took a job with the DOD, he gets a $4k bonus and wants me to put together a system with half of it, I can go a little over budget but not much. This should be a lot of fun! Anyway it is for a small room, he's only concerned with stereo for right now not 5.1.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I was thinking

Toshiba 4960 for source
Some Canare cables or even the Home Depot cable
The Sony 3000es is *such* a good deal it's hard to pass up, any other contenders?
Should leave about $1200 (give or take) for speakers.... so many to choose from :P

any input from you guys?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

Re: $2000 system
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 11:23:44 PM »
What kind of sound is he looking for?  Is this strictly a stereo setup or would he like to incorporate it into a home theater setup as well?  Is DIY an option for cables?

I know the Sony 3000ES is a popular choice around here but if your friend is looking for a setup with a bit more warmth a Jolida integrated hybrid amp would be a nice choice.  The 1501a the preamplifier is tube based using a pair of 12ax7 tubes and the amp section is solid state with 100 wpc.  I'm not sure what the going rate is on the 1501a but one sold for $425 recently on audiogon, so I'd assume that is approximately the used going rate.  I'll also throw out a recommendation for the YS-Symphonies preamplifier, it's a great sounding preamp for the money, combine it with a B&K ST-140 and you'll have a nice combo for about $600.

For the source the Toshiba 4960 or the Pioneer DV-563a would be a good option for an affordable source.  There are a number of aftermarket modifications for both if your buddy wants to upgrade later.

For the cables some sort of DIY is probably the best bang for the buck.  I love my Chris Ven Haus recipe for DIY cat-5 cables, but they're a ton of work so that might not be of interest.  Check out http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/cables.htm , lots of great info here.

I don't have any real input on the speakers other than I really like my Magnepan MMGs but I'm sure for $1200 you can find something  "better."  For $2000 your friend should be able to put together a very nice setup. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 01:03:10 PM by nmculbreth »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 06:46:41 AM »
toshiba.....a good choice for the money.
Sony...another good choice for the money, but there are so many great integrated amps.  the Jolida that was mentioned, the Manley stingray (which I can get cheap....) is a stunning piece in both sound and converstaion.
I've alwasy been interested in the Shanling integrated.  50wpc Class A w/ built in burr-brown 24/96 DAC.  seems interesting...
Stereophile also just reviewed a couple of integrateds that it really liked.  One tube ...25wpc class A that was just a grand.  not bad!
I think a classy tube amp might due the trick here.  Small room...decent budget.  High "wow..i'm impressed" factor, and great, lush sound.  What a way to start your journey into high-end audio.

speakers...I'd look into paradigm monitors.  you can get a decent sounding pair w/a sub for $600 or so.  I"ve been pretty impresssed with the ones i've heard at the local hi-fi shop here in Southern Maine. 
Of coures, the VR1 would be my first choice.  $500 used. 
There are some others that have gotten rave reviews recently.  The EPOS ..can't recall which model.  Maybe something from NHT as well...I think i've read good things about them in stereophile.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 08:41:50 AM »
edit
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 12:08:30 PM by ShittyTapes »
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
Tim, I have a pair of diy cat 5 cables he can simply have. I was going to sell them, but quite honestly I don't even have the time to bother at this time.

PM me your address, and I will get them in the mail when the m-80's arrive sometime later this week.

Daryan

When those arrive, do a continuity check on them. Beware of the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Out of the game … for now?

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 09:33:25 AM »
Tim, I have a pair of diy cat 5 cables he can simply have. I was going to sell them, but quite honestly I don't even have the time to bother at this time.

PM me your address, and I will get them in the mail when the m-80's arrive sometime later this week.

Daryan

When those arrive, do a continuity check on them. Beware of the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

you heard it there first folks.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:37:55 AM »
I don't think running CAT-5 cables with digital amps is a good idea.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:39:22 AM »
I don't think running CAT-5 cables with digital amps is a good idea.

why not?  are these just good for toobs? care to elaborate for a newb
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 10:05:14 AM »
I'm just passing on info I received from the guy with the VSA's.  When I asked how he came about the Acoustic Zen speaker cables he said he planned on CAT-5 DIY he heard about on all the forums.  His Bel Canto guy said it's not a good idea.  They work fine with SS and tubes, but I guess not well with digital switching amps.

SC

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »
They do not work well with digital amps due to the high cpacitance of cat 5 cable in general.  I don't know a bit about why this is, but Wayne at bolder has said as such, and as an EE, I trust what he says.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 12:44:01 PM »
 ??? ??? um why, if you knew this, would you offer up free cables to one who has said they were looking at the 3000ES?  Not trying to be a jerk, but curious.  I'll take it that you didn't know the 3000ES was not a digital switching amp.

However, I'm glad to see the guy wasn't feeding be total bull (not that I would make the cables anyway).

SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com