Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: shntool questions  (Read 10153 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
shntool questions
« on: July 23, 2003, 12:08:29 AM »
k...i just started using shntool after i got called out for having SBE's in my phish gorge fileset - (sigh) d'oh
i figured out how to install...it works with flac after i copied flac.exe into the installation directory...i figured out how to override the default wav output by using the -o switch...
but after going through the documentation a few times i can't find out how to override the "-fixed" addition to files or exactly how the -d switch works to specify a different directory...
can anyone point me in the right direction or offer up some advice?  also...is there a gui frontend for this?  i don't hate the command prompt but i'm a busy man  :afro:

thanks in advance
simpalicious
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:shntool questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 01:17:09 AM »
Seems like I remember Scott Brown having a way around that.  Maybe not though.

-Kevin

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 09:43:22 AM »
There's an easier way...just use shnfix -o shn * on your wav files. That way it'll convert the wavs to shns and fix sector boundaries all at the same time.

Otherwise, here's Scott's way around it, cut and pasted from an old post:

================
you can edit it so it doesn't add the "-fixed"
download the latest shntool source code.  open up the fix.c source file (it might be core-fix.c or somethign, i can check when at home). 
put a "//" before the #DEFINE postfix line
then down lower, put a "//" on the 2 lines that add the "-" and "fixed".  or i'll send you the binary
(if you're a computer geek already then maybe i should have just said comment out the lines that add the -fixed)
================
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 11:45:27 AM »
right on, +T for diggin up the info!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline greenone

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 11:54:43 AM »
No prob. And as far as I'm aware, there's no front-end GUI for shntool. Of course, if you don't want to deal with shntool at all, just use CD-Wave to record/split your tracks; it forces everything to split on sector boundaries to begin with. +T to Kevin for remembering Scott's post...and to think it was in response to my thread but I'd forgotten it...hehe...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 12:00:50 PM »
i'm going to look into creating a GUI for os x shntool after work today....

Offline blu666z

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 01:52:35 PM »
You are right about the CDWave splitting, but the last track normally has to be fixed.

-Kevin

Offline greenone

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 02:07:19 PM »

Damn, I shoulda pestered about this sooner...

:yahoo: :coolguy:

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 02:18:39 PM »

A buddy of mine and I have kind of started to try this...  Didn't know if anyone really wanted it other than me, so maybe we'll work a little harder. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 02:22:40 PM »
You are right about the CDWave splitting, but the last track normally has to be fixed.

-Kevin
yep that's typically where my SBE's are occurring....and i am using cd wave to split.  anyone know how well the align sector boundaries feature in flac works?  i haven't given it a try yet but i may have to now...or else i'll just run shntool on the wavs after splitting.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 02:52:40 PM »
i'm just going to try one similar to macflac GUI front end.  nothing special.  it probaly own't do EVERYTHING shntool and shorten can do.  all the options will still be available through command line, but i think having fix, len, info, conv shntool commands will be useful in a first version.   to conv to shn all you have to do is the shntool conv function.  

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 03:11:32 PM »

-Kevin

Why not just use CDWave to snip off the last millisecond of the track? Voila, no more SBE & you get to delete the resultant 2K file!
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline blu666z

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 03:33:03 PM »
Good point.

-Kevin

Offline blu666z

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 03:34:09 PM »
It has been a while since I did any Visual Basic stuff, but I don't think it would be THAT hard to write a Windows front end.

-Kevin

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 03:36:09 PM »
It has been a while since I did any Visual Basic stuff, but I don't think it would be THAT hard to write a Windows front end.

-Kevin
d00d, write it, yo!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline blu666z

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2003, 03:44:07 PM »
Got a lot on my plate but I will look into it.

-Kevin

Offline blu666z

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2003, 03:48:02 PM »
What all would it need to do?

1) Fix SBE
2) SHN
3) Len

-Kevin

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2003, 04:24:25 PM »
I'm gonna try and put most if not all functions in the OS X version.  The priorities are LEN, FIX, and CONV...might add the MD5 to it as well...

Offline blu666z

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 04:51:53 PM »
Maybe I will cut out a little early today and see what I can come up with.

-Kevni

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 05:50:46 PM »
do flac too, i am using that primarily now as mkwact has decided to shit the bed on my home pc, still works on the laptop though
do you know how to write installers?  it would be cool to have a little prog to install shntool and all the necessary "helper" programs to the %path%, knowutimean?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline blu666z

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2003, 05:56:45 PM »
One step at a time.  Think I'll start with just a front end for now.  I program for a living and don't want to spend all my free time on this.  ;)

-Kevin

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2003, 06:07:14 PM »
c'mon man, don't you wanna work for free?  kickdown so i can flac down, brah!  all your brains are belong to us....
j/k, thanks in advance for anything you do come up with, i'm sure if someone gets it started, then others will be willing to help out improving on it
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline blu666z

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2003, 06:10:13 PM »
LOL!

All my Free Time are belong to me!

-Kevin

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2003, 10:36:18 AM »
post i sent to the mac-tapers@yahoogroups list this morning.  i wrote something up last night that as of now does flac, shn, and some shntool commands. it's got all the functionality, i just need to clean it up tonight and make the interface look less clunky.  already used it this morning to compress some shns, with seek tables appended and an md5 automatically generated.  will finish tonight or tomorrow and have it for you guys by the weekend.  

>>i've started writing a GUI for shntool 1.2.3 and shorten 3.5.1.

Anyway, instead of writing it from scratch, i figured I'd start with MacFLAC and expand on that, since it already does the basics and why rewrite the code for that? I've expanded on a few of the tabs in MacFLAC and added a few other specific ones

here's a rundown of what it does so far:

Decode tab: stays the same. if you feed it flac or shn, it'll give the option of aiff or wav output and decompress accordingly

Encode Tab: new radio buttons for FLAC or SHN output. if FLAC output, you can choose compression ratio like before. if SHN output, you can choose to generate an MD5 for the files you're compressing and it'll do the compression and md5 generation all in 1 shot

checksum tab: before, it was the Fingerprint tab. now it'll do flac fingerprints and MD5 sums. if you drop flac files on this, it'll do flac fingerprint. if you drop SHNS on this, it'll do md5 sum. should i change this to 2 separate tabs? if people ever want to make md5s of flac files, 2 tabs would be better so it wouldn't automatically choose. or i could simply include a checkbox on the 1 tab saying "even though these are flac files, make md5 sums instead of the fingerprint file"

shntool tab: which shntool functions should I include here? i have len and info so far, should I include join? i could include split but then you'd have to feed it a text file, and to be honest, i'd rather do the split through command line shntool anyway, more control and options. so maybe just len and info?

shntool FIX tab: no i didn't forget about this shntool feature. since it's probably the most used and has a bunch of options, i figured i'd give it it's own tab. there will be a file list like the encode/decode tabs, and output radio buttons (output format can be shn, wav, aiff) and there will be a checkbox to create an md5 all in one shot too, just like encode. does anyone ever actually specify forward or backward shift or does everyone just use the default? i was thinking just let it use the default

anything else this should have? in terms of output generated from this app, and by output i don't mean the converted files but things like the output of the shntool len command, or the info command, should this open in a new window? or can i just output that info (which in the case of "shninfo" can be rather long) to a text file in the same dir of the files?

let me know what else this should have

scott
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 10:39:59 AM by scott brown »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2003, 02:49:55 PM »
Well you got a lot further last night than I did. ;)  If you want any help (coding or testing) just lemme know, but right now it sounds pretty good.  

Offline scb

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2003, 03:11:42 PM »
yeah please help test.  works on my powerbook, though who knows how it'll do on othr machines.  i'll post here when i have a copy for people to test

Offline greenone

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2003, 03:43:20 PM »
Count me in for testing too. +T for the effortz/skillz/making me misspell wordz like this. z.

Offline blu666z

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2003, 12:07:20 AM »
I think I might get around to doing this next week sometime.  ANybody wanna throw some more ideas for me to think about while I am on vacation end of this week?

-Kevin

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 08:09:20 AM »

-Kevin

I thought CDwav was the sw to use ? What am I missing ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 11:30:33 AM »
Mark - Nothing. See my reply right below Kevin's post... Trim off the last few milliseconds of the end track to get rid of the SBE.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com