Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording setup and questions  (Read 3783 times)

Offline daeyel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recording setup and questions
« on: August 08, 2003, 02:10:34 PM »
I run a minidisc set-up as follows
My mic is a Sony ECMDS70P Digital Recording Microphone, running off a Sony Minidisc MZ-N707
Using Memorex MD 80 minidiscs

Is this going to be an acceptable set-up?
Are there any changes anyone would suggest?

I use this setup due to ease of entry, and because many dont realize they can record. I am reading that minidisc isnt much liked due to sound loss, but as I am recording stereo that isnt an issue?

Biggest issue is: Is there a recommended way to remove the music to .WAV or other format? Am running demo goldwave via line-out to computer mic jack. Any secrets to secure best sound policy?

Daeyel

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:recording setup and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 02:25:51 PM »
Is this going to be an acceptable set-up?

If you are happy with the results, it's an acceptable set-up.  :)

Are there any changes anyone would suggest?

You may get boatloads of answers on this one.  What matters is what you and your ears like.  Listen to other gear and figure out what you like better (or worse) about it compared to your own gear.

I am reading that minidisc isnt much liked due to sound loss, but as I am recording stereo that isnt an issue?

The primary issue people have with MD is the compression/data loss.  To many, this compression/data loss is audible and unacceptable (unless it's the sole source).  Recording in stereo does not diminish the compression/data loss, it's still an issue.  Again, if you're happy with MD, stick with it.  

Biggest issue is: Is there a recommended way to remove the music to .WAV or other format? Am running demo goldwave via line-out to computer mic jack. Any secrets to secure best sound policy?

After you have the recording on MD, best way to transfer to WAV is digitally from MD to your PC.

Daeyel
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline daeyel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 02:39:41 PM »
Thanks for reply.  I should add that  I am deaf (77% loss in each ear) so I tend to listen at full volume (headphones). My ears are DEFINITELY not tuned to hear much in the way of imperfection. Bearing this in mind, and that my knowledge of sound transfers is less than zero, how do I tell digital cables from any other? I still would like optimal sound quality for archival purposes.

God, I sound like a moron, don't I? LOL

Least I got 'scuses :P

Daeyel

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 02:46:24 PM »
how do I tell digital cables from any other?

Digital transfers involve more than just digital cables.  The output device (in your case MD) must be capable of providing a digital signal.  Likewise, the input device (your PC) must be capable of receiving a digital signal.  There are multiple formats available for digital input and output.  The most common digital input and output for MD is optical (though some output coax).

If your MD even has a digital output, it's probably optical.  If your soundcard has digital in/output, it may be optical, coax, or both.  But I'm guessing if you're running into the mic-in on your PC, it's the built-in mic-in and there is no digital input available unless you buy a new/additional soundcard.

Your best bet is to check the MD and soundcard documentation.  

God, I sound like a moron, don't I? LOL

Not at all, just a newbie!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 03:35:26 PM »
what you are doing is fine and its the best way to get into taping. I had the same setup for a long while and was pleased. later on after you get the hang of everything you might want to move onto better/other gear.
the show is over go home please.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 04:23:49 PM »
in most cases with portable MDs it doesn't let you transfer VIA USB, and there is no spdif out, so you need to run a 1/8th" male>male cable from the headphone/line out>the line in/mic in on the sound card.  I would recommend using the line in over the mic in.  Sound quality will be better.  If you don't have a line in i think its worth throwing down a couple bucks to get a cheap PCI soundcard with a line in jack.  Thats a great rig to start of with.

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 04:25:17 PM »
Also dont use Memorex MDs.  I used to run MD and they would just stop working right in the middle of a recording.  I would go lay down some extra dough on some Sonys.  Im pretty sure i have heard some other people complain about the Memorex MDs before.

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 04:27:11 PM »
Did you really have trouble with the Memorex??? Im on my third box of them now and have yet to have a problem...

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 06:06:53 PM »
yes i has a serious problem with Memorex.  I taped a couple shows and they would stop right in the middle of a show.  Lake Trout fr example.  I went to go pee and it just stopped without warning.  Battery was fine.  Also i did some recordings with my MD with my band the sound would be prefect, but it would randomly skip in the song.  Then i tried some Sony discs and never had the problem again.  Maybe it was just my pack, but that was enough for me not to buy Memorex again.  But i run a D-8 now, so i dont really deal with MD anymore.  I think its a great way to start though.  Just dont run it on LP2 or LP4.  then you really start to hear it.  The best MD recording i have ever heard was Maktub by Bluz666.  That rocks.  Check it out in kickdown central if it is still up.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 06:18:15 PM »
me too, memorex have only given me problems...  i mean, its great to have them there just in case you run out.. but i use sony colors.  havnt' had problems with em, unless your juggle the deck around then well your gonna have gaps in sound.  if your really gettin into MD taping, then check out www.minidisco.com   they have everything there you'd ever need for MD's from regular recorders to pro recorders..  also check out www.minidisc.org   all kinds of resources for MD tapers, also some interesting stuff on HD recorders check it out if you wanna upgrade to that, or a DAT good luck
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 07:46:51 PM »
Also dont use Memorex MDs.  I used to run MD and they would just stop working right in the middle of a recording.  I would go lay down some extra dough on some Sonys.  Im pretty sure i have heard some other people complain about the Memorex MDs before.

I've had some memorex discs work and many not work. Needless to say the times they don't work they leave big gaps of silence in the tape and I won't ever use them again
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

cpclark

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 07:50:56 PM »
i ran MD for about 8 months and can tell you the difference between that and dat/pc is enormous, i could tell a really huge difference, and the compression, although not as bad as mp3 is still lossy, but a good newbie rig and a great way to start to learn taping

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 05:16:18 PM »
yes i has a serious problem with Memorex.  I taped a couple shows and they would stop right in the middle of a show.  Lake Trout fr example.  I went to go pee and it just stopped without warning.  Battery was fine.  Also i did some recordings with my MD with my band the sound would be prefect, but it would randomly skip in the song.  Then i tried some Sony discs and never had the problem again.  Maybe it was just my pack, but that was enough for me not to buy Memorex again.  But i run a D-8 now, so i dont really deal with MD anymore.  I think its a great way to start though.  Just dont run it on LP2 or LP4.  then you really start to hear it.  The best MD recording i have ever heard was Maktub by Bluz666.  That rocks.  Check it out in kickdown central if it is still up.

Its was DAT.

-Kevin

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 05:33:54 PM »
For a great MD sourced show, check Kevin's 2/18/03 moe.:

http://webdev.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=4335
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com