Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie here, looking for a mic for my MD  (Read 2520 times)

Offline cpjds1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Newbie here, looking for a mic for my MD
« on: September 22, 2003, 12:10:43 PM »
Hello all,

I am glad to have found this place!  I recently bought this MD recorder off of ebay new (haven't recieved it yet) http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/30055985/Images/MZ-N10.1.jpg

It's a Sony MZ-N10.  Now, I also bought this little mic from ebay just so I'd have something to record things with http://home.sprynet.com/%7Ednemeth01/gs/scans/gs-minigold.jpg

So, I have some questions about mics.  I see some places have battery modules you can buy to power your mics even if they will work with plug-in power.  What factors contribute to the quality differences between the two (plugin powered and battery-module powered)?

Also, I would like to get something (a microphone)that will work for almost everything (soft to loud and everything in between) so any hints as to what that might be would be appreciated.

Lastly, after browsing this forum a little bit.....what are "hypers" and "cards"?

thanks for answering my newbie Q's

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Newbie here, looking for a mic for my MD
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 12:14:32 PM »
How much do you want to spend to get into this???  I for one would reccomend getting a jb3 and selling the md, but that would just be the beggining of a long, exspensive process!  Have fun

Daryan

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 02:46:10 PM »
www.minidisc.org

lots of md info there...

i think the reason you see people using batt boxes is because on most, if not all minidiscs the plug in power for the minidisc is weak at best. it does not supply enough power to the mic and the mic inputs themselves are weak in sonic quality.

the bat box supplies the power to the mics, some even have built in attenuators.  the feed from the bat box goes to the line in on the minidisc. you get a better signal that way
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 03:28:02 PM »
like shitty said, it all depends on your budget.  go to the pages referenced, read up a bit and see where you can afford to go.  get good mics and build from there.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 04:26:39 AM »
read up, then go check out the gear at some product or dealer pages

will this be used for stealthing applications? MWHAHHAHA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com