Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: front speakers for arcam system?  (Read 5676 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
front speakers for arcam system?
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:07:38 PM »
i know i know, i'm going to be auditioning stuff like mad.  but i'd like to know which i should be auditioning

came across a SICK deal on some arcam stuff that seems too good to be true (if i buy the system, i'm going to pick it up in person just to be safe) and i need speaker ideas.  I think i may be keeping my older tannoy mercury's for rears (can't really afford to get a full surround speaker system now and the tannoys will do the job).  

what would you guys recommend for the fronts?  don't want to spend a fortune here, but i have no idea what i'll spend really.  keep it reasonable.  under 2k for sure (new or used)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:front speakers for arcam system?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 09:15:14 PM »
(if i buy the system, i'm going to pick it up in person just to be safe)

that's a damn fine idea! nice find it sounds like though... you've been doing a lot of system changes lately, let us know how it all comes out.

as for speakers, I'll leave that up to the pro's on here...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »
what size room?  you get the av8/p7?  (..need to know how much power)
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 09:50:48 PM »
>>that's a damn fine idea! nice find it sounds like though... you've been doing a lot of system changes lately, let us know how it all comes out.<<

haven't made a single change yet, i just posted a ton talking about all the options!

yeah wes, that av8 and p7 (with a dv88plus thrown in for the same price) for pretty much 50% off retail of the 3 units combined.  sell the dv88 for 1k and my current cd and amp for like 350 a piece and that's a hell of a deal i think.  maybe even sell the dac-1.   i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger

as for what size room, for right now it'd be one about 17x16.  way more power than i need, but it's hard to pass up on this kind of sound
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:51:54 PM by scott brown »

Offline scb

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 10:19:46 PM »
friend recommends totem hawks.  never heard of totem, no idea where i'd ever be able to listen to them.  anyone ever heard em?  what kind of sound? probably out of my price range...

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 11:10:27 PM »
Some that come to mind under 2K for a pair are:

Paradigm Reference (can get top of line Studio 100V2 for under 2K), their other smaller models are also a great value for the $$, all their models look to have a very neutral tonal balance. I have the reference active 20's and love them. Quality engineering.

Martin Logan Aerius: Cool looks, planar electrostatic speaker. Definitely go out and demo a pair if you have not heard a planar speaker before, it's like nothing else.

Magnepan 1.6QR: Magnetic planar speakers (ditto comments above)

PSB Stratus Gold/Silver: PSB has been around for a while, most of their speakers are geared towards your price point.

Monitor Audio

NHT

There are a ton of others out there at this price range but these are the first that come to mind.

FYI: I have read a couple reviews of totem speakers, they all have some weird frequency response anomalities that make me less inclined to recommend them. Haven't heard them in person though (being a scientist I like to see good measurements in conjunction with quality sound). Nice wood finishes, I have to say that they seem a little expensive for what you get though.

Happy shopping!!

Ben

PS: some fun sites to check out
www.audioreview.com
www.audiogon.com
www.audioasylum.com

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »
Some that come to mind under 2K for a pair are:

Paradigm Reference (can get top of line Studio 100V2 for under 2K), their other smaller models are also a great value for the $$, all their models look to have a very neutral tonal balance. I have the reference active 20's and love them. Quality engineering.

I love my PR Studio 100's. I use the PR Studio series for surround...100's (front), 60's (rear), CC's (front/back), Servo-15 (subwoofer). I find the PR's to be a bit colored. I used them as my main "all around" speaker for about a year until I came across a deal on a pair of B&W N802's that I could not pass on ;) I use the surround setup for movies, DVDA, and SACD's. I could not be happier. Try to get a pair in Rosenut, as they are beautiful. The Studio 100's are an underrated speaker IMO...give them a full listen. Have fun. Thanks......Jason

**B&W N802's on left, PR Studio 100's on right
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:01:18 AM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 12:06:45 AM »
B&W CDM-7
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1078021257

i run the CDM-7SE version and man, do they sound sweet. they aren't power hogs and have a very warm sound in the vocals.  they are super smooth in their transition.  i love the sound of most B&W products.  i paid $1,100 for a floor model 2 years ago.  you can probably find a good deal on the CDM-9 or CDM-7SE on the used market.

before i bought the CDM-7SE, i listened to the CM4 (lower model, but newer design) and the CDM series sounded much better.  

(CM6 is here):
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1076941639

before i went with B&W, i listened to Tannoy, Paradigm, PSB and many others. i probably drove my local salesman up the wall, but i finally went with the B&W.

my next upgrade will be the B&W Nautilus series and move my CDM-7SE to the rear. i'll never sell them.

good luck and happy hunting,
marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 07:39:24 AM »
I know where you can get the VR2s (von schweikert) new for $1775...shipped!
maybe less if you are not shipping accross the country (as I am).
:)

no sub needed for these puppies.
There is also the 1st gen VR4 as well..., these go for around $1500 I think.
Soooo many to choose from.
;)

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 09:16:32 AM »
arcam goes with b&w like peanut butter goes with jelly..  they sound great together, complimenting each others strengths and almost  phasing out each others weaknesses..

I've got a pair of cdm-9nt I might consider parting with.  Equivalent to the 703 in their new line.  http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/MODEL%20703

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline scb

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 11:08:54 AM »
hmm, i may be interested in those cdm-9nt's

the guy i just bought my new gear from recommended  PSB platinums (out of my price range),aerial acoustic 7 or 8s, or revel 30s.  never heard any of those

how much might you sell those b&ws for?  damn, i gotta figure out where i'd have room for floor standings...

i think i'll probably spend all next week auditioning speakers...

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 11:12:25 AM »
and nick, i may be interested in who sells those vr-2s for that price.  gotta find out who stocks those around here for a listen

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 03:11:26 PM »
Come down and listen to my VR-1s next time you're en route to NC :)  Their sound is a lot like the 2s, though the 2s certainly do better in the low end.

Nick, are you a VS fan as well? I know a guy in Philly with the 4SE, I think, and they sound amazing. He has the woofers on solid state and the rest on tubes. Not a huge fan of their looks and size, but with gorgeous sound. The 4jr that they're coming out with looks like a nice compromise between the standard-ish sized towers and the 4.

I've been happy with my 1s since their arrival. My room has some low-frequency "holes" that I'm not going to try to fix - would rather try again in another apt than get a sub or room treatments.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm a fan of the theory regarding their construction and the designers "goal" to make everything sound like live music.  Seems to be a good match
there are no dealers within many 100's of miles, so I bought them blind.

The dealer I found put me on a conferrance call w/a bunch of older deadheads that are his clients and they couldn't say enough good things about them.
Soo...I took a chance.  We'll see how it comes out, but I susptect that they will deliver the goods big time!

Carl ordered a pair of the VR4jrs for his pending new listening room he's planning on building.  Can't wait to hear them.
The VR2's are still on the small side for my room, but they'll have to do, and I can upgrade later if need be.  Coming from ESLs, I think I wont notice a lack of anything as these suckers seem to drip the punch and impact i've been seeking (and not finding w/my Martin Logans).

I'll have them mid next week.
very anxious!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 03:39:35 PM »
wes
youve got mail
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com