Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stronger T-bar extension for spaced omni's - boundary mounted DPA's  (Read 10856 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Stronger T-bar extension for spaced omni's - boundary mounted DPA's
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
Sarge just shakes her head in confusion as she watches the tear down,..

I had to pull with *all my might to break this bond.
*well, a strong hard pull, anyway.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
I might take a tubing cutter, and cut them away, and, find some precision brass tubing to match the diameter, in order to make a sleeve that can used to remove or replace the balls as needed.

Since they pulled off cleanly, you can probably just clean up the end of the arm a bit (for use without the balls) and leave it at that.   Then if you want to use the balls you can just push them back on using the existing hole and I expect they'll probably stay in place just fine from the elastic grip of the ball.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
The second one came off even cleaner; but with a very loud pop.

What sort of mounting attitude are you looking for, on average,.. something like 0º straight forward?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
Depends on what you want to achieve.

> 0º equates to straight A-B, producing the maximum forward-facing direct-sound bias in the presence range and up.  I'm set up for but never played much with that, except on my center omni when I was doing the "Decca Diamond" setup - in which case the center ball-mounted omni was always 0º.
> 45º is what I use, which adds some left/right stereo difference across that HF range which is welcome with A-B omnis IMO, and retains much of the forward bias.  That's what I chose to use for Left/Right in combination with the center omni in search of more stereo info, but didn't dare to go wider angled at that time.  Something of a safe medium.
> 90º will maximize the left/right stereo difference.  I suspect especially useful for narrower spacings, and/or when center mics are used in combination, and gives up the forward biasing.  I'm no longer scared of going wider angled as I was back then, especially when there is a center mic or pair in combination.

With my 6 channel setup I now actually orient them so the 45º angle faces backwards.  That's because in this setup they are contributing ambience and low frequency pickup and pointing towards the back corners of the room provides a bit more HF differentiation between the forward and side-facing center mics.  I want their "presence" focus to be on the room ambience and audience reaction rather than the direct sound from in front.

Of course, using a sphere (or plate) attachment eliminates the "near-perfect omniness" of The miniature DPA omnis which is a characteristic of their extremely small size, replacing it with a form of limited range controlled directivity along with the modification in timbre.  That "near-perfect" omniness and flatter response is many times a positive attribute in itself. 

Options are good.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Updating in real time,....
The base anchor tube is not a good choice for tightening the set screw of the Manfrotto Mini, or, any other clamp.  I did so, very slowly and carefully, and still pocked it slightly. So, like the rabbit ear antennae pair, I'm going to rig a thread rod component to attach the pieces to gather, and, to give the clamp set screw something to bite into (steel walled thread rod ferrule connector)..

I've also found a slick way to convert the black plastic ends into a useable diameter for the #2 Pencil Eraser Mic Clips. But, I'll let the drama build before the great unveil.

mfrench

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
The bases have been renovated, and ready for flat black spray paint.
1/4-20 thread rod ferrules and matching 1/2" flat machine screw

mfrench

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »
Because I know the anticipation is killing everyone,... The new pencil eraser mic clip mounts.
I cannot show them mounted right now, as the spreader bars are set up with drying epoxy to set in a thread set.

This is some precision brass tubing stock; scrap from some of my past projects.  It is from nesting diameters of tubing.  This particular diameter fits the pencil eraser, and, also very nicely fits the O.D. of the black plastic spreader ends.

mfrench

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
And, the finished spreader bar, mod'd for DPA4060 pair.
I'm going to slightly rework a couple of things now that the dry-fit has happened. but, this is essentially the finished bar:

4805: sections with 1/4-20 thread set added.  I used a nut on the threads to give me more surface area for the epoxy to embed.
4806: threads
4807: screwed to magnet bases
4809: thread rod couplers used to join the sections. This is one thing that I've already changed. I only need a single thrad rod connector; two is too long.
4810: Mic clips for DPA 4060 pair
4811: Kit  -> to mod, yet: I'm going to convert one of the magnet bases to a male thread post, as one of the spreader sections is going to be converted to female thread (screw shortened, and female ferrule to be added).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:27:23 AM by Moke »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
Nice bit of kit you've put together there.

..in a 24 hour transformation.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
^^

+T
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

mfrench

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
thanks, guys!  +'s

Sarge,... she rules the morning.
I'm going to hang some known loads on it later, like the cm3's, just to see how much it deflects under load.
The DPA4060 pair, I doubt they will even register. I think it will probably sag equally, just under its own load.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »
digging the purple eraser tips! Great project outcome!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

mfrench

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
[chuckles]

And, a warning: FOR GEEKS ONLY!i!

The otherwise useless data stream of stress testing, and, how I otherwise abused a new toy.

Sarge is no longer confused by the events unfolding. She is now in the rolling of eyes mode=on.

4812: no load, except mic clips
4813: 4060's hanging at ends of spreader for maximum load
4814: 4060's properly mounted, cable load spread, with windscreens for max. load
4815: Abused  CM3's with 6' Belden 1804a Stubby XLR whip cables at ends of spreader
4816: With CM3 cable load spread out, and mics hanging at ends of spreader.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
Ha. Good woman you have there.

4815: Abused  CM3's with 6' Belden 1804a Stubby XLR whip cables at ends of spreader
^ cringes slightly.

4816: With CM3 cable load spread out, and mics hanging at ends of spreader
^ not nearly as bad. Copper wire and XLRs are heavy.

What's the total spread distance mic to mic?

mfrench

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
End to end is exactly 7' (well,.. 84.25" )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com