Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oddball microphone techniques - part 1  (Read 166412 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Oddball mic techniques
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
Photo of the on-stage setup I ran last night with two seperate multi-channel configurations, recorded into one recorder-

The primary setup is a five-channel configuration with the three ADK TLs as Left/Center/Right channels (all in supercardioid pattern) and two DPA 4060s boundary-mounted to the front face of the stage under the lip, about 8' apart facing into the room and audience as Right/Left Surround channels. 

The secondary setup is the Gefell cards in ORTF and a single DPA 4060 boundarymounted to the stage surface in front of the drumkit on the snare side- in front of the center TL you can barely make out a small square of gaff tape between the planks of the floor.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:41:06 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Nice Lee! Is it possible to hear a sample?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »
Nice job on your new setup!

That's a very nice way to do stage lip and get all the mics up there. hopefully you can at least take a listen to the file once in awhile.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »
Really great stuff lee !!!  8)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
Re-rigged the 4-channel highly portable surround setup that has been a frequent topic in this thread for the Bear Creek music festival this year, sticking with the same 2-meter Left/Right omni spacing I used last year and also the move to using directional mics facing front and rear which I started playing around with 2 years ago instead of the ball-mounted semi-directional omnis all around which was closer to a classic Decca-tree config but with a rear facing mic included. 

Other than a few test runs, this was my first real use of the DPA 4098H supercardioids as front and rear facing directionals.  I picked up a used pair over the summer to replace the borrowed ATs I’ve used in this rig for this event the past two years. They aren’t as good as the full bodied MG cards and supercards I’ve used for this when the rig doesn’t need to be as compact and lightweight, but I find them superior to the miniature ATs I've used previously for this.  Their DPA clarity is unmatched for miniature low powered directionals and for this application the limited low frequency response is actually beneficial and compensated for by the Left/Right omnis.  The limited low frequency response of the 4098 when used at a distance would probably be a deal killer when used as a straight stereo pair by themselves for recording music at a distance, except perhaps for situations that are overly bass heavy to begin with and can benefit from the bass reduction.

I used dollar store sourced foam hair curlers treated with some silicone water repellant as windscreens on the 4098s.  The 4098s were connected via DPA microdot extension cables to the MMA6000 preamp in the small bag that hangs under the stand.  The 4061 omnis use a 3.5mm TRS extension cable to connect to a CA-UGLY preamp in the same bag.  I used the DR2d as 4channel recorder with an external lithium battery supply that powered it easily for 4 days without needing recharging.  All that reduced size and weight over using the R44 and PFAs to power the mics which I’ve done the past few years so everything fits in the small shaving bag and also allows use of the remote to stop and start recording.  I just need to leave the bag unzipped enough to see the red recording LED indicator on top of the DR2d which doubles as the IR receiver for the remote.

The shaving bag hangs on the bottom knob of the stand so its center of gravity is low and centered, stabilizing the stand while keeping the bag off the ground.  I can simply grab the stand and move the entire rig around hunting for best Left/Right balance in the sweet spot, or grab it and run away if I ever needed to, with the bag attached to the stand.  That's important as this thing is designed to be placed in the center of enthusiasm up front to record the live experience, where things can get unpredictable. It also makes it easy to retract and fold the telescopic arms, lower the stand and dash off to another stage with the bag still hanging on the stand to catch the next act.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:45:21 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
stand up and telescopic arms extended-

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Loading and hanging the shaving bag with recorder, external battery, preamps (+ extra batteries, SD card, earplugs, notepad, pen, cards, beer tickets, etc.)-

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Low centralized center of gravity. Quick start of recording whenever necessary with remote-

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
damn!  ^ that's some really really cool stuff.   8)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
Thanks!  I dig playing around with this stuff and blazing fresh trails off the beaten path.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
Gutbucket states:
" I can simply grab the stand and move the entire rig around hunting for best Left/Right balance in the sweet spot, or grab it and run away if I ever needed to, with the bag attached to the stand."

======================================================

That is quite unbelievable. Really is. Put up your whole rig in like 2-3 minutes. It is portable. You can use an umbrella.

This gives a whole new meaning to FOB. Now we can have a new term- "Portable Moving FOB"...."PM-FOB"...

What a great line gutbucket - " and run away if I ever needed to"!

I have felt like that though never could pick everything up and move that easily...you given me ideas to reduce setup time for my big rig!!!

What do the tennis balls do on the end of the stands?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:14:10 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
It takes more time to setup and pre-wire everything beforehand (which I do at home or back at camp), but makes setting up and breaking down super quick.  I can walk in, setup and be rolling in well under a minute including pulling the stand out of the transport bag (which is currently a repurposed bag from a small child size folding chair).  Folding it up to move between stages only takes something like 20 seconds as does setting it up again.

The balls are Nerf brand "ballistics balls" which are hard foam balls for Nerf guns.  Details are here earlier in the thread.  The ones on there in the photos above are simply for use as stand feet.  They work well to support the stand on both sandy soil or damp ground and cushion it on concrete.

Previously I also flush mounted the omnis in them and there they served two purposes- the practical one is that they simply protect the mics and people from potential eye pokes when I used to set this thing up at the stage lip around about head height with the arms extended about half as far as they go now. The technical one is that they make the omnis somewhat directional and cardioid-like at higher frequencies and also add a presence boost to the frequency response.  DPA and others like Neumann make them as slip-on attachments for their larger pressure omni mics and I took that idea to use with the miniature DPA omnis.  Here's a link to a DPA web page describing them.  They refer to them as APEs (Acoustic Pressure Equalizers).  I think I posted a photo of the one I got Dan Healy to sign for me years ago when I first started doing that earlier in the thread a few posts down from the link above.  That was a cool thing only tapers can really appreciate.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »
I thought the tennis balls were for protection against lightning strikes. :P  awesome re-work on the rig!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
Ha.  Thanks Jim. Hopefully I'll never find out about their lightning strike protection capabilities.. here in the state with the highest lightning strike rate in the country.  Just to give a sense of scale, those balls are about squash-ball diameter rather than tennis-ball size.  In fact I've seen yellow 'floating practice golf-balls' made from the same dense foam material which are only slightly smaller in diameter.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:02:59 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com