Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CF for digital SLR  (Read 8353 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: CF for digital SLR
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 08:38:59 AM »
Bill,

With what camera are you shooting?  The issue with the Ultra II in the 10D and the 20D has less to do with the speed of an Ultra II card and more to do with the buffer size.  The way I tend to get around it is I shoot and take a little longer pauses between bursts, but I realize for sports that may not be feasible.

Also, I find that using a USB 2.0 cardreader I can get 1 gig done way faster than 10 minutes when shooting RAW only.

ditto

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
Jonny,
I was shooting with the Nikon D70 until this last week.  I don't know the specs on the buffer, but I never had a problem.  When I first started with the D70 I would fire off 10-20 shots?  Many were redundant.  I was having fun shooting in continuous mode knowing I didn't have to pay for the development of 400 images--my main reason fo selling thee F100 and going digital.  Lately, I've been shooting shorter burst as you mentioned you do.  I'm getting better at anticipating what's going to happen next and fire. 

I should have the 20D and 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Monday.  Shooting a game Tuesday night.  I changed my mine about the 85mm 1.8 for now, as I was hunting for a 35mm 1.4L.  While I'm waiting for that lens to become available I'm buying the 24-70mm 2.8L USM.  Should arrive Tuesday.  Can't wait to shoot with the new gear.

Bill

jpschust

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »
Well the question is how fast you are firing the shots- in RAW on the 20d if you just hold the shutter in multishot you will fill the buffer at 12-13 shots or so.  Then you just wait a second or two, it clears and go back to shooting.  I just give a second or so between shots to allow for the buffer to continuously empty.  I dont need to fire shots every second, and frankly its rare that even in sports one needs to.

ditto

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »
Looks like I found a 35mm 1.4L.  I've been following a couple of threads in the B+S section of FM.com.  Someone finally offered one up and I bit.  Should see it by Friday. 

Shooting in continuous mode sure has it's advantages--while eating up the cards.  I don't think I'll suffer too much from a relatively slow buffer since I'm getting better at timing the peak moment.  the 20D has a slow buffer?

Bill

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 11:34:59 PM »
not as fast as a 1dmk2, however at times i wish it were faster.  overall, im ok with it though.  you can shoot sports no problem with it.

a good resource for the setup of your 20d: www.siphoto.com

ditto

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 11:39:33 AM »
Does anyone know of a better price for this card ?

Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II CF : $ 85 shipped
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80420

Is this the one everyone is talking about ?

Great price shipped two day.  I bought my first card from them and it cost $15.00 more. 

Bill

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »
bestbuy has a deal right now on sandisk CF cards

49.99 for 512mb + $10 mail in rebate = $39.99 cost
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 07:46:08 PM »
bestbuy has a deal right now on sandisk CF cards

49.99 for 512mb + $10 mail in rebate = $39.99 cost

thanx ian, i'll have to see if they are the ultra II ones... (as i go to hunt for the flyer)

+T

tim

nope i think the deal was just for the regular ones
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »
I bought some of the 512k UltraII CF cards at Costco recently - I don't remember exactly but they were somewhere around $50-$60 each...probably can find them a bit cheaper if you look around but there was no shipping or waiting.  I use a Canon Digital Reber EOS and I think each card holds about 140 photos at the highest resolution.  I realized there were bigger cards out there but this is plenty to me, as I have 4 or 5 of the cards in my camera bag and obviously they are easy to swap out when I fill one up.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 09:35:46 AM »
I assume you mean 512 MB cards.  ;)
If you shoot RAW + small jpg (via the hack), they'll hold about 70 RAW files.

I plan on getting 1GB cards from now on because I know I'll eventually upgrade the body and will want the space for the higher MP count.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Startstop

• Taperssection Regular
  • Pastafarian
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 12:09:12 AM »
newegg.com usually has great prices on CF cards.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-171-051&depa=1   >>> 2gig Sandisk ultra II for $166

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re:CF for digital SLR
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 06:52:18 PM »
You do have to worry about speed tho.  CF is MUCH faster.  Check out Steve's digicam website for speed listings...  If you plan on taking a lot of fast action type of stuff, CF is the only way to go.

My Nikon's buffer is sufficient enough to shoot away using even 4x CF, the camera's buffer is something to take into consideration.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com