Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mpeg2 encoding, handling spotlights  (Read 1870 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
mpeg2 encoding, handling spotlights
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:52:07 PM »
ok this has been bugging me for a while now.  i've been using cce to do mpeg2 encoding.  for the post part when the lighting is kept constant and there's no weird lighting effects it works amazingly well.  i normally follow a bitrate calcuator to get the most out of the space in a dvd.  the only problem is when i have a scene with a relatively dark room, and a spotlight. the area where the edges of the light coming from the light source appear weird and sorta pixelly.  anyone have any tips on handling this? h_vargas?

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: mpeg2 encoding, handling spotlights
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 02:55:04 AM »
How many minutes of footage are you trying to put on your DVD? Have you tried to just encode a couple of minutes of the problem footage at the maximum bitrate too see whether that fixes the issue?

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 04:59:51 AM »
yep. i've always used max bit rate.  problem occurs both when i used cbr and 2 pass vbr.  it's not really as apparent when viewing as an mpeg2 on my comp.  but really noticable when watching on tv.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 10:25:19 PM »
sorry i've been M.I.A. for a little while. lots o' fun stuff going on in my off-line life.  :o

now, for the obligatory stupid questions, filmdragon...

- what version of CCE are you using? (Basic, SP, and verson # please)

- have you tested the footage doing, say, a 5-pass VBR encoding? yes, yes, i know it takes longer... but you will have even better quality, and once you encode a video properly at max bitrates, you're done. (at least until BluRay discs become affordable...)

my suspicion is that you might be using a newer version of CCE, and one setting might need to be changed.

for instance, in the CCE version 2.70.01.05, if you have a fade-in or a fade-out, you NEED to put a check mark beside "fades on a static scene" in the advanced settings... when i didn't put a check mark beside this, i got quirky horizontal lines happening during fade-in/fade-out.

here are some things you might want to run tests with, as far as changing settings... and remember, ONLY change one of these at a time. when you hit the golden nugget that sorts out the problem, you'll know which setting needs to be set (and used, in general). also note: in CCE, set the input/output frames (time codes in frame #'s) of the specific part you want to test out with different settings... this will save time and HD space because you aren't encoding the entire video over and over again. then, change ONE setting, and write down on piece of paper "video test 1 = change in setting 'X'" and so forth. that way, when you watch the test DVDRW you burn the video encoding tests to, you can quickly ID which setting is the culprit.

settings to "play"/adjust from their native defaults:

* disable adaptive Q-matrix switching
* the Low Pass filter
* the High Pass filter
* change the slider to more "complex" for the Simple Setting (which has "scene" types listed as Natural, C.G., Animation)... you obvsiouly want to choose "Natural," but move the slider toward "Complicated" to see if this helps the "blockiness" part you're encoding.

* make sure you do NOT have "Close all GOPs" check marked in Video Settings
* do you have the Intrablock DCT precision set to 10?

if you can, PM me with *all* of the settings you generally use in CCE. i know this all might seem to be a pain, but once you get all of your settings correct (including your preferred bitrate settings), you can make it a "template" that is automatically used when you start CCE and add an (DV) .AVI file to be encoded. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com