Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is vegas video the shit??  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
is vegas video the shit??
« on: June 14, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »
I am about to get a video camera, and am going to edit and burn on my pc.  I have seen a piece on tech tv on vegas video, and they made it sound like the best moderately priced thing out there as far as editing went. 

Has anyone used this program, what are some pros and cons.

Has anyone used the dvd architect that comes with vegas? comments?
then we tell the kids that its good versus evil
that country and god are more important than people
we say it so much that its almost believable
Fear, we'll leave nobody behind.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: is vegas video the shit??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:56:49 PM »
i like it a lot more than adobe premiere...however, i'm used to working with soundforge and the two are similar in a lot of ways.  its definitely a great program.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:08:11 PM »
I use Vegas and DVD Architect and have been happy with both programs.   Haven't really tried anything else to compare them to, though.   I'm sure every software has its pros and cons.

Offline Thomas

• Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 06:17:31 PM »
Good to hear

thanks
then we tell the kids that its good versus evil
that country and god are more important than people
we say it so much that its almost believable
Fear, we'll leave nobody behind.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 06:18:35 PM »
as far as Vegas goes, from what i've read, that package does do quite a bit of good stuff - and is quite the "bang for your buck." i use Premiere Pro myself, but everyone who i've talked to who uses Vegas loves it.

as far as DVD Architect, i didn't like it very much during the hour or so that i played with it. and most of the DVDs i've received that have been authored using it have too many menu screens, e.g. main menu -> click on "song selection" and it takes you to another menu, then you have to click *another button* just to get to the chapter/song selection screen; another example is a DVD i recently received and when you click "play concert" it has to go to a song selection menu first. pretty annoying... but it could just be that people don't know WTF they're doing, and not necessarily a bug with the software itself.

wilsondmb

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:55:12 PM »
trash that PC and get an apple.....finally cut pro owns  ;D

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 08:26:37 PM »
trash that PC and get an apple.....finally cut pro owns  ;D

LOL. word.  :D

but for the rest of us who don't have a couple grand to splurge on a G4 or G5, a PC will have to suffice.  >:D

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:30:45 AM »
I've used several different programs and I LOVE VEGAS.  It makes me all happy to work with it because so far I have been able to do everything I wanted to do with it.  I use it for DV capture, editing and restoring video, editing audio, rendering, converting, just about everything.  You can find lots of free plugins on the web if you need them and lots are included with the software.  You can overlay text, fade in still images, you can paste in .psd files directly from photoshop with the transparency intact, mix multiple video sources, just about everything you can imagine.  It's particularly useful for synching audio.  The limitation for me is how well I know how to use the features.

The keyframe functions are a little bitchy to make work, that would be my main complaint.  It's also not possible to import an elementary stream like an .mpv file nor can you drag and drop vob or ac3 files.  However, you can create system streams from those files in another program and then import.  I'm not sure if all programs are like this or just Vegas.  Overall, I found Vegas more fun and useful than Adobe Premiere or things like avisynth and less expesnive utilities.  The major benefit of Vegas is that it is about as close to a one-stop shop I can think of.

I like DVD-Architect too, but I also use DVD Lab pro depending on the project.  The major benefit of DVD Architect is that chapter stops are more accurate, and you can actually see AND listen to your files when you are making chapter marks.  You can't do that in DVD Lab Pro and chapter marks are far sloppier.  Downside to DVD-Arch is making transparent menu buttons is a major headace.  Someone mentioned that it creates needlessly complex menu strucutres - I would say that is more related to the person authoring the DVD or maybe use of an inappropriate template.  You can make a disc with no menu, or a menu that only pops up when you hit the menu button, or you can put 100 buttons on a menu page.  It's up to you.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:12:35 PM »
I like DVD-Architect too, but I also use DVD Lab pro depending on the project.  The major benefit of DVD Architect is that chapter stops are more accurate, and you can actually see AND listen to your files when you are making chapter marks.  You can't do that in DVD Lab Pro and chapter marks are far sloppier. 
I was checking out the DVD Lab website and noticed that with the Pro version of DVD Lab, there is a plugin (Pro Extensions) that allows you to preview the audio stream at the same time as the video stream. I haven't actually tried it out though.

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:38:06 PM »
nice, I'll have to try that out.

silverbullet

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:45:10 AM »
Luv Vegas and DVD architect. I also purchased some tutorial DVDs and for me it was well worth it. I do multiple video tapings per show so I also purchased a plugin called Excalibur which helps a ton if you have multiple camera angles.

http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com/

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 09:15:01 AM »
Luv Vegas and DVD architect. I also purchased some tutorial DVDs and for me it was well worth it. I do multiple video tapings per show so I also purchased a plugin called Excalibur which helps a ton if you have multiple camera angles.

http://www.vegastrainingandtools.com/

hoily bejebus those tut dvd's are expensive.....would be nice to have them...but it would take 10 years for me to save 300$ for tut videos...thanx for the link tho
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 09:36:06 AM »
I really knew very little about video editing so for a newbie those DVDs are great and I still refer to them from time to time. On the tutorial disc for DVD Architect there is a hidden track or "Easter Egg" Go to the scene selection chapters, Easter Egg, then press the right arrow and enter. The hidden chapter teaches you a bunch of cool stuff on the Excalibur plug in. So it does much more than just help you with multiple camera angles and syncing up A/V.

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »
Assuming one is fairly comfortable with computers and with transferring, editing, tracking audio (Wavelab) ... how easy is it to learn to use Vegas Video?

I've got a Sony mini-DV cam, and have a half dozen tapes I need to transfer, edit, add music, etc and burn to DVD.
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

silverbullet

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 08:32:49 AM »
I'd say it's pretty easy. Just wish I had someone to give me a half hour lesson in the very beggining. Once you get the hang of it you'll go through your tapes quickly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com