Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital Camera suggestions needed  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re: Digital Camera suggestions needed
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 09:53:52 AM »
I've been looking myself and agree with Damon.  Canon makes excellent cameras.  Their digital processing chip is probably the best out there and their autofocus works better than many of their competitors.

I've been looking at the Canon Digital Elph S410 on Amazon.  They were down to about $225 and I should've f'in bought one as they're now up to $250, but still a GREAT deal on a very nice 4 megapixel camera with 3x optical zoom that is very small.  I really want something small enough that I don't mind carrying it with me all the time, the Optio mentioned also fits into this category...  The bonus with the S410 is that it utilizes Compact Flash still, which is extremely affordable and I already own a 512meg stick.

Canon S410 on Amazon $249

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 09:58:12 AM »
I just purchased a Sony a couple of weeks ago..  7.2 Mega Pixel and a 256K mem stick for $425.00.

Still getting used to the camera but the pictures are fantastic, and it is very quick on the focus and reset.. even has a burst mode to blast 6-8 pictures in a second for sports applications if necessary.

Small, lightweight, fits anywhere.

Sorry - I forgot the model # but will research if you want.

CQbert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 10:37:29 AM »
Looking to spend about $500. I'm pretty much limited to Best Buy tomorrow since I only have one day to shop. Although, they've got a bunch of cameras 10% off online and I don't think they honor the online deals in the store so I might order one online and just email the link to my wife on Sat so she knows I didn't forget completely.

Nothing says "I love you" like an email link! ;D

I've been in your shoes before George, I'm terrible with dates.  I had to pull something out of my ass so I told her I was taking her to Jamaica (which I was already considering doing, it just forced me to commit to it, no matter the cost).  Luckily she didn't ask too many details about the trip because I sure as hell didn't have them!  Good luck finding a camera.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 10:41:49 AM »
Nothing says "I love you" like an email link! ;D

trust me when your married they appreciate you getting a good deal :)

Offline Andi

• Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
    • FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 11:07:03 AM »
this looks like your best choice at $500, but may be a little big:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=DITM2K1K1VYIBKC4D3EFAFI?skuId=7175353&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15146&id=1110266874825

Like I said in my earlier post, I would have to agree with dmonterisi that the new Canon S2 IS is awesome.  It has a super macro focus range of 0", so you can almost get as close to your subject as you want without taking an out of focus macro shot.  As soon as resources permit it might be the next Canon that I purchase.  Unless I step up like a big dawg and go for the 20D.

Levels Dance when the Music is Good!
Nakamichi CM-300 + CP-1, CP-2 >AD20 > JB3

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 11:13:48 AM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=DITM2K1K1VYIBKC4D3EFAFI?skuId=7175353&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15146&id=1110266874825

Like I said in my earlier post, I would have to agree with dmonterisi that the new Canon S2 IS is awesome.  It has a super macro focus range of 0", so you can almost get as close to your subject as you want without taking an out of focus macro shot.  As soon as resources permit it might be the next Canon that I purchase.  Unless I step up like a big dawg and go for the 20D.

I really know nothing about digital cameras, and will probably be buying one before the end of the year.  So is the S2 better than the G6?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »
well, they are a little different.  the g6 has higher megapixels but shorter zoom.  looks like the s2 has more advanced shooting features.  but if you are going to be buying 6 months from now, there will be all sorts of new flavors to choose from...the digital camera market is in incredible flux with new features getting pushed down to consumer level cameras all the time.

Offline Andi

• Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 11:22:43 AM »

I really know nothing about digital cameras, and will probably be buying one before the end of the year.  So is the S2 better than the G6?

I would say that the G6 has a few more capabilities in the manual realm than the S2.  For what I want to do, which is P&S and a few concert pics, I think that the S2 IS is good since its not to little and not to much. The G6 is going to give you better resolution in the event that you want to print bigger pics or manipulate your shots using any type of photo editiing software.  You have to also look at the fact that the focal length of the G6 (35mm to 140mm) is  not better than the S2 (36mm to 432mm), but the  G6 is a 7.1 MP Camera as opposed to 5.0 on the S2.  If you are ready to spend that kinda money on the G6, I would go SLR and start the lifelong journey of collecting nice lenses. .02
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:27:06 AM by Andi »

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 11:24:48 AM »

I would say that the G6 has a few more capabilities in the manual realm than the S2.  For what I want to do, which is P&S and a few concert pics, I think that the S2 IS is good since its not to little and not to much. The G6 is going to give you better resolution in the event that you want to print bigger pics or manipulate your shots using any type of photo editiing software.  You have to also look at the fact that the focal length of the G6 (35mm to 140mm) is better than the S2 (35mm to 105mm), not to mention that the G6 is a 7.1 MP Camera.  If you are ready to spend that kinda money on the G6, I would go SLR and start the lifelong journey of collecting nice lenses. .02

Dell had the G6 for $565 the other day, so it's really not that much more than the S2.  Thanks for the info, +Ts to both of you.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 11:27:28 AM »
the S2 focal length is actually equivalent to 36mm to 432mm on film, a clear advantage for the S2...

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »
the S2 focal length is actually equivalent to 36mm to 432mm on film, a clear advantage for the S2...

I'd be impressed if I had any idea what that meant, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to photography. :)
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Andi

• Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »

Yep..just noticed that and corrected the original post.  ;)
I have heard that Best Buy has had some problems getting and keeping them in stock. I am sometimes skeptic about buying a product when it is first introduced.  Has Canon ever had a problem with it's initial firmware.....

Offline Andi

• Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 11:32:01 AM »

I'd be impressed if I had any idea what that meant, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to photography. :)

Focal length is the distance in which you can gain clear focus....Basically the S2 has a longer focus, zoom if you will (12x)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 11:33:20 AM »

Yep..just noticed that and corrected the original post.  ;)
I have heard that Best Buy has had some problems getting and keeping them in stock. I am sometimes skeptic about buying a product when it is first introduced.  Has Canon ever had a problem with it's initial firmware.....

there were a couple of extremely minor problems with the very early versions of the 20d firmware (some barely noticeable horizontal banding when shooting at ISO3200 for example and a few people reported lockup problems when changing a lens with the camera on).  i never experienced these issues however.

Ray76

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 10:04:54 AM »
I have owned an Olympus C-760 and c-770. THose are both great cameras. I will definitely keep buying olympus products. Ed has an olypmus c-765/

10x zoom, 4.0 mp, many other features.  currenly own a c-770, which is now about 400 i think.

Awesome camera.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com