Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Am I jumping in too quickly/seeking general input for first set of mics  (Read 8672 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
I don't know if I have ever seen a thread here started where someone regretted buying good microphones. You can pretty much always resell them for a comparable price. Amortize the mics over 10 years. You'll never see them as a good value if you look at them as a short term asset.

My MK4's are over 25 years old, have been used over 1,000 shows and could be sold for a good percentage of purchase price.  That said it is not an investment I would suggest for a first pair of mics.  most people don't learn to drive with a beamer or Benz but upgrade once they know how to drive.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:38:49 AM by daspyknows »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
I started taping because, like you, many shows that I went to were not being recorded. Started with a Sony miniature stereo mic and an MD. It was good enough. Then I got some Studio Projects C4s and a UA5 then onward and upward from there.

Get the Avantones and run them into the built in preamps on the DR60. You will be perfectly happy with the quality and it will be a good sounding rig for a beginner. You still have a good bit of expense for other stuff you will need - stand, cables, batteries, mounts - the list goes on. When I first started I bought a large part of my accessories as a package deal used from someone who was getting out and saved a good bit of money.

Getting a rig like this will give you a chance to experiment with placement and mic configs and dial in the type of sound you are looking for. With interchangeable capsules you can try different stuff in different rooms to find out what you like.

I got the upgrade bug early on - I've always liked trying new things - and went through several brands of mics. I ended up liking three brands that would be considered low to mid priced the most and ran them for years - Peluso, AKG and ADK TLs.

Nowadays I like my modular active systems but it took me roughly 13 years of recording (and running full bodied mic setups) to finally pull the trigger on a pair of Schoeps MK41s (which I could only afford because I bought everything used - picked up a package deal and sold off what I didn't need)  and I really like my MBHO subcardioid capsules for just about everything else.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
I’m going with the Avantones!

My dream mics right now are Milab VM44s. Sorry Team Schoeps ;)
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)

I've listened to several recordings with the VM44 Links are they sound very very nice.  Good choice!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!

Good choice on the Avantones.

And as a once and future owner of VM-44s, I can say they are my favorite mic.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!

Great choice on the Milab's young Jedi!

But, remember that the Dark Side is strong.  I promise not to be a good influence here.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
I swore I’d never turn to the dark side from DPA. Better and more durable active cabling options sucked me in. Also I can tape near a wall now if need be.  Congrats on your mics you're gonna love this hobby! 👍
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:39:24 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com