Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is 4 mic aud worth it?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Is 4 mic aud worth it?
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »
I currently run Neumann u89> V2> Minime> OCM R-44 and was thinking about getting a second set of microphones.  To be more specific I was thinking about going in on a pair of microphones with a local taper, this way we could have joint custody and get more bang for our buck.  In the past I have patched from other tapers to get a 4 microphone audience recording but haven’t spent much time experimenting.  I know many of you have had time to experiment with 4 mic aud recordings and my question to you, is it worth it?  Is the 4 channel recording that much better than the 2 channel recording?  If it’s better is it worth the expense, carrying the extra gear, and extra editing that’s involved?  Ok lets say it’s worth it, how do you pick out a second set of microphones?  Do you get a second set of mics that sound like what you all ready have or different from what you all ready have?  Fore example: do I get another pair of neumanns or do I get a pair of schoeps/AKG ect…  What is more important the pattern or brand?  Should I be looking at shotguns?   Until next summer (New York resident) I will mostly record in clubs, theaters, and an occasional arena.  In one of the clubs I frequent I could run on stage and FOH easily from the same spot.  Other than that most of the recordings would be made from the same stand.  Rite now I am leaning towards something small like 140’s so I could go low profile if necessary and they would not take up a lot of bag space.  Or I was thinking shotguns.  Any info, feedback, or ideas would be great.

Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Is 4 mic aud worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »
For me, I have two sets of Busman mics.  When I run 4 channel audience, I'll run different caps and try and capture the "best" recording.  Sometimes, thing get extra chatty and the hypers help that.  Sometimes it will be perfect and the omnis really shine.  I liked what I heard with the Busmans, so I wasn't looking for a different sound.  Just wanted more options.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:55 AM »
it can be.

It allows more flexibility.  More flexibility in the field and more flexibility in post.  Doesn't have to mean better, especially if you aren't sure what your doing in the field or doing in post.  In fact, it can make it sound worse.  Sometimes, you might just pick the better source (flexibility).

I run 4 channels most of the time.  I like the flexibility I have in post.  I mix for my ears.

Offline crackmc

• Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »
In one of the clubs I frequent I could run on stage and FOH easily from the same spot.

4 mics can be a HUGE asset onstage
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:37 AM »
In one of the clubs I frequent I could run on stage and FOH easily from the same spot.

4 mics can be a HUGE asset onstage

QFT

Some of the best recordings I've made, half the top 10 probably, have been 4ch onstage/stage lip.

I look at it in a big picture way though. Over time I've gone through several different 'main' sets of mics, but since I've kept almost every pair, I have different tools to use in different situations. I may run 4ch with the intention of mixing it down, or I may just want some insurance against pulling a bad tape (run cards and hypers) The sound I get from the LD capsules of the LSD2 are a great compliment with certain types of music, other times the addition of split omni's gives a needed boost to a narrow stereo image.

As stirinthesauce pointed out it is about flexibility.

I don't slap 4ch together because 4 is automatically better, but in the right situation it can give you a mindblowing result.

To your question about what your second pair should be, I'd say it should be something that compliments your existing gear well. It is more about tonal characteristics and pattern/placement options than brand.

With U89's I can't say that 140's would be a bad match, but experimenting and listening are the true test, which is easier said than done.

Is there something you feel your tapes lack right now? too bright, too dry, too warm? Pick a second pair that will mitigate that and round out your sound.

JAson

MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
Since I don't have a four channel recorder, I would rather (and maybe since its my only choice) run to separate records and mics. Is this very common? What disadvantages would arise from a setup like this?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
for near-field multichannel obviously has its advantages.  In the diffuse I am a very strong advocate of properly placed stereo pair.  Good image and natural sound are important to me....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »
for near-field multichannel obviously has its advantages.  In the diffuse I am a very strong advocate of properly placed stereo pair.  Good image and natural sound are important to me....

thankyou!!!

+T
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

wklitz

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »
I've really liked the results od my 4-channel mixes with my AKG 414's and a pair of Schoeps. Together they bring a sound that makes me smile.

When I run 2 sets of schoeps, there is almost no point, with a few exceptions, most notably of late my Phil N Friends from VA Beach, the 4 channel schoeps mix was much better to my ears than each separate source.

I'd say it's worth it to run 4 mics, but don't be shocked when a single stereo pair is better than the mix on most occasions.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
Since I don't have a four channel recorder, I would rather (and maybe since its my only choice) run to separate records and mics. Is this very common? What disadvantages would arise from a setup like this?

I occasionally do something similar, as I too do not have a four channel.  What I've found is that my two devices slowly fall out of sync when you try to lay one recording over the other.  A two hour show may fall just a couple seconds out of sync; enough to completely destroy the listenability.  It's not a HUGE problem to fix (you'll need to stretch or contract one to match the other), but it is an added step in post which could easily be avoided by using a 4channel.  I wish I had one, but I don't really have enough money / necessity to justify buying one at this time.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. 
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »
I occasionally run two omni's at a Williams specified distance in an AB setup and will put an MS or XY in the middle of the AB.  Omni's really need good acoustics in the hall to be worthwhile.  But, with a lowpass filter they can add "bass and space" to my cards.  I did that for a brass quintet a month or so ago.  The acoustics were way to bright so the omni's were blended in very low.  It works.

But, look at it this way: you can always discard what you do not like.  But you cannot create it out of nothing.  So, tape as many channels as you can.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »
I posed this 4-mic question to Doug Oade a while back (in regards to a possible R4 purchase) and this was his response (of course, ymmv):

Yes, a four mic mix can be done with a few techniques and a lot of effort in setup and mixing.  For example, 90° hypers X-Y with 8 foot spread omnis, about 20dB down, is one of a very few good techniques, but only if you can get good alignment.  That is the trouble.  Almost all 4 mic mixes destroy transient response, sounding somehow dull or lifeless at their very best.  It also causes massive image smear in most cases.  Selecting the right set of polar patterns, spacing and angles can make it possible to mix an omni, or pair of omnis, without severe degradation.  I have never heard 4 directional mics mixed that was anything other than bad.  It must be a main pair with omni flanking mics to open up the sound and flesh out the low end.  Most folks probably have low-end to mid-range systems that cannot recreate the recorded space accurately, and hence listen only for flavors which does change with more mics, but accurate 3D space reproduction suffers dramatically....peace...Doug

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »
Oade is right on imo...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 10:10:30 AM »
I run 4 mics all the time.  Sometimes it's just to get the better pull and other times it's to mix sources.  Omnis & Hypers/Shotguns mix very well togther.

Samples:
AKG hyper-Omni Mix: http://www.archive.org/details/dbb2008-08-01.akg.hyper-omni.flac
Senn ME80 Short Shotguns-C4 Omni Mix: http://www.archive.org/details/ratdog2008-06-01.me80c4omni.flac
LSD2 Card-C4 Omni Mix: http://www.archive.org/details/hdatz2008-04-27.lsd2-c4.flac
LSD2 Blumlein-C4 Hyper Mix: http://www.archive.org/details/hdatz2008-04-27.lsd2-c4.flac

Throw in a SBD mix for Fun
Three Source Mix: AKG c460b/hyper + AKG c460b/omni + SBD:
http://www.archive.org/details/brew2008-08-14.3source

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com