Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic config for ambient recording?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
mic config for ambient recording?
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
i'm fixin' to start doing a few ambient recordings of miscellaneous stuff and wondering what the best configuration to use might be. if i had omni caps i would probly go with a a/b or split set up. i'm limited to cards(km140) however and use ortf at shows. would it be reasonable to use the same configuration or would something different be better? the intended use for the recordings is background for video/animation.   
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: mic config for ambient recording?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:39 AM »
i'm fixin' to start doing a few ambient recordings of miscellaneous stuff and wondering what the best configuration to use might be. if i had omni caps i would probly go with a a/b or split set up. i'm limited to cards(km140) however and use ortf at shows. would it be reasonable to use the same configuration or would something different be better? the intended use for the recordings is background for video/animation.   

...perhaps I am just bad, but I will use cards in AB, X/Y 90-180 :), spaced array...just put your headphones on and try spacings/techniques unitl you like the sound. A great thing about ambiances is that no-one knows what the original sounded like anyway...so whatever sounds good.

That said, my most common arrangements are XY/90 (since I use a NT4 a lot) and spaced-pair either with Omni or Cards.

digifish   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:23:02 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: mic config for ambient recording?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »
i've thought about trying ab just for gp. don't have phones and don't expect to get feedback right a way like at a show anyway. if i can time it right, i'm going to try a train tomorrow. i think i'll stick to the ortf for that but i'll give ab a shot when i go to the horse farm later.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com