Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack 2496 Mic recommendations  (Read 2382 times)

Offline adam_777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microtrack 2496 Mic recommendations
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »
I've been thinking about getting into taping for some time and tried with cheap equipment with rather poor results.  So I decided to go out and buy a Microtrack 2496.  I have two shows this summer I am hoping to record (Roger Waters, Rush) so what mics would you guys recommend for me?  I am on a realtively low budget so I am looking for something cheaper than $150. 

A newbie question as well:  I've heard about people using battery boxes for their mics, is that only for mics that don't supply phantom power like the Microtrack does?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Microtrack 2496 Mic recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »
depends...
the MT can output phantom for condenser mics.  "battery boxes" are a 9v source that you use for 5v type "plug in power" mics. 

You have lots of options for mics to run directly into this.
I'd seek Chris Church, and his custom cardioids or his new omni's.  right in your budget, and will certainly produce.
He's on the board "church audio".  Look around, you'll find him.
fwiw....putting the bulk of your investment into the deck was probably not as wise as putting it into the best mics you could afford.

good luck !

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
I would strongly advise you to get a preamp along with the mics so you can use the 1/4" jacks on the Microtrack as line-in without a lot of gain.  This is because the 1/8" mic input & internal preamp in the MT is very noisy (trust me on this).  The external preamp can also supply power to the mics, preserving the meager battery in the MT for longer recording times.  I've been using AT943 mics with a tiny Sound Professionals +22dB preamp into the MT line-in with good results, but with your budget constraints, Church Audio is definitely the way to go.  And spend as much as you can afford (maybe a little more), it'll be worth it!
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »
adam_777, another reason to use an external power supply with the MicroTrack is that its "phantom powering" is completely non-standard. The higher the quality of your condenser microphones, the less likely they are to work properly with the MT's built-in "phantom powering."

People (including some manufacturers, apparently) don't seem to realize that an international standard defines phantom powering precisely so that this type of problem can be avoided. But no--either they guess at what "phantom powering" is supposed to be, or in some cases they know but they implement it differently anyway.

There are usually some condenser microphones that will still work to some extent even with a half-assed implementation of phantom powering--so then these equipment manufacturers point their fingers at the ones that don't (you know--crap microphones such as Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser, DPA, ...).

Grrr. Arrgh.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:18:06 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline adam_777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  I'm looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-PREAMP-MICS-4-MINDISC-DAT-EDIROL-R09-MICRO-BR_W0QQitemZ260098327358QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItem

From Church audio, it looks pretty decent to me.  I just have one question, would it be recommended for me to get this battery box to go with it or can I run it without it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-MICROPHONE-BATTERY-BOX-4-MINIDISC-MD-MP3-EDIROL_W0QQitemZ5861399837QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItem

Again thanks for your responses, really helps amatuers like myself

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 05:37:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  I'm looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-PREAMP-MICS-4-MINDISC-DAT-EDIROL-R09-MICRO-BR_W0QQitemZ260098327358QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItem

From Church audio, it looks pretty decent to me.  I just have one question, would it be recommended for me to get this battery box to go with it or can I run it without it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-MICROPHONE-BATTERY-BOX-4-MINIDISC-MD-MP3-EDIROL_W0QQitemZ5861399837QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItem

Again thanks for your responses, really helps amatuers like myself

I will also join in with the applause for Church Audio products, but I would reccomend contacting him through the PM option on the site rather than going via the eBay store route.

He is very helpful and quick to respond to any queries, both before and after you purchase from him.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »
He's got a nice deal right up in the retail section on here. Both the pre-amp and a great set of cards. Great value for money, and excellent results. Check the samples a few threads underneath posted by Arni99.
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com