Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity 2.0 - how to export files as 24 bit?  (Read 29835 times)

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audacity 2.0 - how to export files as 24 bit?
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
I've got 2 sources (aud/ sbd) both recorded at 24-bit / 48 kHz, I want to mix them down to a single file but keep them as 24 / 48, but every time I export it, I get 16 bit / 48 kHz. Under preferences / quality, I have the Default Sample Format set to 24 bit. When I go to export it, there is no choice though for 24 bit WAV that I can see as the file type. The only WAV format is 16 bit (WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM). I've been trying to use the "Other uncompressed files" under "Save as type" in the export window, but I keep getting a 16 bit wav. None of the other choices seem to make sense. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong / how I can get it to export as 24 / 48? I'll want to do the same thing as Export Multiple once I track it out to get a 24 / 48 version of the show, but I assume that the same thing will work for Export Multiple if I can get the regular export to work.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audacity 2.0 - how to export files as 24 bit?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
Export>

Save As Type>Other uncompressed files

Then click "Options" and you'll see a variety of bit depths/formats.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:08:51 AM by runonce »

Offline brad.bartels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
Man, thanks. That was too easy, I never noticed that Options button...

Marshall7

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
You way should have worked, too.  There is a 24/48 option under "other".

Offline majorHealey

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »

Hello there,
sorry for replying to a subject 3 yrs old but it might be possible another soul like me stumbles here while searching for an answer...

The funny thing is, the only way to get a 24-bit file out off Audacity 2.1.2 in fact seems to be via "Other uncompressed files" when saving/exporting;
because no matter what settings you had been chosing in "Options" already - will be ignored again when you want to export/save the finished file.

True?

Another thing - if you then chose the "WAVE (Microsoft)" data format (which it's set to by default anyway) - what you will get is an AIFF-file instead. (?)

Is this a(nother) bug, or didn't i just find a somewhat hidden check box to avoid this very strange behavior?

So, getting a 24-bit WAV file directly, for example, at the moment is not possible... am i right or wrong?

Thanks a lot for any helping reply,   
mH

Offline drivingwheel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
Thanks for letting me know to not update my Audacity, sheesh.
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
Exports chosen using the "Other uncompressed files" type may be saved with incorrect extension and so not be playable - on Windows and OS X, AIFF extension is always used regardless of format and on Linux, the extension for the last saved format is always used. Workaround: Add a period and the correct extension for the format (or on Mac OS X, change the supplied extension). Be sure to add the correct extension, because Audacity may not warn if an inappropriate extension is added.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2

Gotta be a new bug - because Im not seeing this happen with 2.1.1 on Win10...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:04:59 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »

Hello there,
sorry for replying to a subject 3 yrs old but it might be possible another soul like me stumbles here while searching for an answer...

The funny thing is, the only way to get a 24-bit file out off Audacity 2.1.2 in fact seems to be via "Other uncompressed files" when saving/exporting;
because no matter what settings you had been chosing in "Options" already - will be ignored again when you want to export/save the finished file.

True?

Another thing - if you then chose the "WAVE (Microsoft)" data format (which it's set to by default anyway) - what you will get is an AIFF-file instead. (?)

Is this a(nother) bug, or didn't i just find a somewhat hidden check box to avoid this very strange behavior?

So, getting a 24-bit WAV file directly, for example, at the moment is not possible... am i right or wrong?

Thanks a lot for any helping reply,   
mH
As a newcomer to Audacity, I'm finding each of these to be partially true. Saving 24/48 does require to use the "Other uncompressed files" when saving/exporting.
As far as the save to aiff, this happened to me as well, then kindms explained what to do, which is what LIR just posted above: Add a period and the correct extension for the format (or on Mac OS X, change the supplied extension) I use Windows 7, Audacity version 2.1.2
This program is nowhere near as intuitive as wavelab.
If someone could produce screenshots for each of these sequences, that would be greatly appreciated!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:11:19 AM »
2.1.1 is still available for download here - not sure there's anything in 2.1.2 you can't live without...

http://old.audacityteam.org/download/

Offline majorHealey

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
hi there guys - sorry for my very late reply - many thanks folks for your input! 

Forgot to mention: i tried 2.1.2 on Win7, but this is basically for a friend who's using OSX (?) on a 2009 macbook pro - i rather use Nuendo 4 and Wavelab 6 myself anyway - and who never had any recording software before.

So i suggested Audacity for him to install, thought this to be easy and working. Wrong...

2.1.1 is still available for download here - not sure there's anything in 2.1.2 you can't live without...

http://old.audacityteam.org/download/

...thanks Life In Rewind for the info and link; only it links to the buggy new 2.1.2 version already, both the Win and Mac link.

Ok, found i had an old 2.0.5 version exe for Win - installed it right now, will try it out later - but:

does anybody know where to find and old and working version, especially for Mac? ...

Many thanks again - best
mH

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:30:59 PM by flipp »

Offline majorHealey

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
...thanks Life In Rewind for the info and link; only it links to the buggy new 2.1.2 version already, both the Win and Mac link.

...i was wrong! It seems the recent Mac version is still 2.1.1 everywhere...

Ok, let's see if it works... i only tried my Win version here - will check the Mac's Audacity the next days!

Looking forward... ;-)
best + thanks
mH

Offline majorHealey

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »

does anybody know where to find and old and working version, especially for Mac? ...

should be able to find something for Mac @
https://web.archive.org/web/20120809082328/http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/files/audacity
or
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/

...and - thanks, flipp! :)
I'll look into that if the currently installed version doesn't do it (only checked my Win pc's and it didn't) -
best again
mH 

Offline ettk45

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »
Options button nowhere to be seen on 2.1.2 and can't find 2.1.1 for Windows anywhere for downlaod. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Offline geordy

• Taperssection Regular
    • masters
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
I was able to save 24/48 wav with Audacity 2.1.2 using the following settings:

Save as type: Other uncompressed files
Header: WAV (Microsoft)
Encoding: Signed 24-bit PCM

File name:  xxx2016-xx-xx.wav   

Make sure and put the .wav in the file name, otherwise it will save the file as an .aiff file. 
dpa4061 > mma6000 > Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com