Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D1 settings advice/File conversion software advice  (Read 5227 times)

Offline soundbot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • It's all about the sound
Sony PCM-D1 settings advice/File conversion software advice
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
Please excuse, I'm kinda new to all this as I haven't recorded anything since the Dire Straits Telegraph Road tour on my Sony TCS-430 with a Sony ECM-939LT.
I just recently purchased a used PCM-D1 on Ebay and used it the other night to do a stealth recording with a set of AudioReality.com binaural electret condenser mics hidden in my hair. I tried recording some bar music the week before and unfortunately the test show was a lot quieter than the show I recorded the other night and most of the songs came out oversaturated in spots. Too bad really because the sound quality was amazing other than that, and the sets were incredible! I only had the record level set at 4 but I was sitting at center stage seventh row back and it was fairly loud. I guess I learned a valuable lesson because the performer was my favorite. I won't make that mistake again. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice for recording levels or other settings on the PCM-D1? Also wondering about what the best software for converting my wave files to WMA lossless might be?

Thanks.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-D1 settings advice/File conversion software advice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Are you sure you had the recorder set to mic in rather than line in??

I've got nothing but praise for the D1. 

Best,

John

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
One technique that I used to figure out level settings for my LS-10/SP-TFB-2 rig was to sit in my car and crank the stereo up to louder than I could stand. That came out to about a 4 or so on the dial.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline soundbot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:03:47 AM »
Mics plugged into Mic input, 96 khz/16 bit, Limiter on, 200hz High Pass filter on, SBM on, Rec level at 4, Hold button on.
I find the D1 to be phenomenal as well. As I stated it was my first experience at a loud performance (and it was very loud as it was a small building and a large sound system) with the D1 and I believe that if I had set it at a 2.5 or 3 it would have been much better. These mics are extremely sensitive and I was warned by the manufacturer of this fact and thought that I had the level set low enough, obviously I was mistaken. I appreciate and welcome all feedback.
I like the Idea of testing with the car stereo, I'll try that. I thought about doing that with my Onkyo 7.1 THX Surround in the living room but I didn't want to freak out my Siamese cat as I've never had it all the way up and it gets very loud.  :yikes:

Offline soundbot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 02:38:30 AM »
P.S. Now that I have the level thing somewhat figured out, is there anybody out there that can offer advice on some good editing and converting software? I'm testing Sound Forge 9.0 right now and it's decent, any other or better suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
You should be recording in 24 bit instead of 16. That way you can set your levels conservatively (peaks around -12) so you don't have to rely on the limiter to prevent clipping. You can then boost levels in post without adding any audible noise (and convert to 16 bit if you need to do so for playback).

When recording in 24 bit, SBM is not active even if turned on. As good as SBM is in a 16 bit recording system, why use SBM (which is supposed to simulate 20 bits, I think) when you can actually record in 24 bits without any simulation?

If you need to save space on your media, recording at 24/48 (or even 24/44.1) will provide way more benefits than 16/96. May of us record at 24/48 or 24/48.1 even without the need to save space, but I've never heard of anyone choosing 16/96.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »
Don't format or erase the card, yet!  You still might have some useful data on there....

Doesn't the D1 simulteneously record a track at -20dB (when the limiter is engaged) for situations like this?  Or is that only in 24bit?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
My understanding is that the limiter automatically records a temporary track 20 dB below the levels that are set. If the main levels go over 0 dB the data from the 2nd track is automatically patched in and raised in volume to match the main track, so if you listened to the recording and it sounded overloaded in spots, there's nothing extra you can do to eliminate it.

The limiter will fail to prevent distortion where the levels are set so high that the 2nd track also goes over 0 dB in spots (although not in an many spots as if the limiter were not engaged).

I believe the D50 works the same way, so one of the many D50 users here should be able to answer this definitively.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:48:22 AM »
As far as I've understood this issue.... yes, the D50's limiter works the same way (and imho it works fine).

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
Only one track gets written to memory as a file.  Both units have a parallel track roing at -20dB of the track being written.  If the limiter is engaged and the levels hit 0dB it will switch to that alternate -20dB track and you can choose the time it takes to go back to the regular track in the menu.  There is 150ms, 1 second, and 1 minute on the D50.  So if it hits 0dB and is set to 150ms recovery the track being written will drop -20dB and go back to normal 150ms later.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
I'm using SoundForge9, but I came up using Sonic Foundry products, so their layout is comfortable, and intuitive for me already.  I've got Audition, also, but it doesn't get much use, simply because I'm already programmed....  I really do like the Sonic Foundry - now Sony - production software.

I think you can get trial versions from the manufacturers websites, might want to try them out, I've always had trouble with software leaving behind some gunk when I try to delete it, so I don't usually try software samples.  My editing system is a stand alone with no web connection and I use it for video work as well.  Even thought I back up, I can't afford to have it crash as I'm always working on paying projects.

Best,

John

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »
is there anybody out there that can offer advice on some good editing and converting software? I'm testing Sound Forge 9.0 right now and it's decent, any other or better suggestions?

Audacity is fine if you're really itching for a free app, though its tools aren't as intuitive, user-friendly, or good as the rest, IMO -- but hey, the price is right.  I've used and liked Adobe Audition.  Many people here like Steinberg WaveLab.  I know some people have started using and like Reaper, too.  There may be some other apps mentioned in the Computer Recording forum's Readme1st thread.  I like and prefer Samplitude SE due to its value (price / performance), workflow, interface, and quality.

Across the paid license apps, it largely depends on which interface and workflow you prefer, as they all generally offer the kinds of functionality we need for our purposes.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.787 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com