Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: alpine head unit advice  (Read 3105 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
alpine head unit advice
« on: December 31, 2003, 03:20:34 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm upgrading to a new head unit in my wrx, and I was hoping one of you car audio experts here could weigh in on whether the Alpine 9807 is worth the extra  70 bucks or so over the 9805.  I can get the 9805 off ebay for about $130 and the 9807 for about $200.  I could care less about mp3 capability as the reason for the upgrade is so I can connect my iPod to the aux in, which both could do.  I've been looking at the specs and they look pretty much identical to my eyes, but I could be missing something.

So, besides mp3 capability, is there any legitimate reason to purchase the 9807 over the 9805?  Also, if anybody has a different suggestion for a head unit < $200 or so, feel free to chime in.

The 9805-
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/admn/item_info?p_main=10&p_category=10&p_item_name=CDA-9805
The 9807-
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CDA-9807&p_category=10&p_subcategory=20&p_main=10

Thanks,

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re:alpine head unit advice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:06:52 PM »
i didnt opt for the 07. my friggin 05 rawks. it pushes my ba's nicely. got mine from ebay too.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 10:32:32 AM »
I avoid Alpine gear like the plague.  Head unit crapped out after two years and amplifier blew a channel after three.  There are much better units (Eclipse, McIntosh) out there for the prices that Alpine charges.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 11:12:29 AM »
i'm intrigued by the idea of a mcintosh head unit, but i wonder if i'd really hear a difference in something as noisy as the car...

anyone actually own one of these?  i have a kenwood 6 disc changer custom fit into my center console, so i stuck with a kenwood excelon head unit when i changed in june 02 (when the old kenwood died) to keep compatibility and changer controls from the head unit.  but i'm starting to question this as the faceplate seems to have a loose connection or something and this one seems on the way out.  maybe if it dies i'll look into something higher end, but then i'd lose direct changer controls...

Offline jlykos

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »
i'm intrigued by the idea of a mcintosh head unit, but i wonder if i'd really hear a difference in something as noisy as the car...

You are paying for the name and style as much as the quality.  Yes, they are good.  No, they are not two to three times as good as an Eclipse or even a Clarion Pro.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 11:28:45 AM »
good to know.

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 02:06:48 PM »
I had an Eclipse head unit years ago (94-95) with a touch screen control (well, it was a new gadget back in the day)... I really liked mine, much more than the alpine I had. Although, I'm not really a big supporter of high-end audio in the car. I used to think it was the end/all be all, but there's just too many variables and costs associated associated with noise, you're better off reinvesting that money into your home system.

Just my 2 scents

Offline jlykos

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 02:17:35 PM »
Also, if anybody has a different suggestion for a head unit < $200 or so, feel free to chime in.

Check out some of the Clarion Pro models.  Not the regular Clarion, although it is very hard to tell them apart by looking at them.  Best quality in that price range.

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 02:41:02 PM »
whoa.  A bit of a delayed response on this one :)

+T to all, thanks for the advice.  I did end up going with the Alpine 9805, got one for 160 bucks (inc. S/H) on ebay.  I basically need a head unit I can easily interface my iPod with and until somebody makes a head unit with frontside firewire or usb ports, Alpine's Versatile Link system seems as good as any.  This is basically a go between until I have some real cash to completely overhaul my car stereo setup anyway.  Maybe then I will look into Clarion or McIntosh.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com