Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on custom mold monitor / earplug?  (Read 3267 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Advice on custom mold monitor / earplug?
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
I'm looking for a custom molded in-ear system that has the option of functioning both as headphones and as earplugs. 

Any advice on where to find such a thing if it exists?

Thanks!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Advice on custom mold monitor / earplug?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »
I don't really think so. You may find IEMs that have a plug at the ear that you could detach, and I have used my IEMs as sort of a stop gap solution instead of a plugs, but they're generally constructed of entirely different material, and unlike custom plugs, IEMs are designed to block out as much outside sound as possible whereas custom plugs are designed to give relatively consistent attenuation across the frequency spectrum.

Keep in mind if you're getting molds done for either you can use the same impression for the other which will save you a few bucks as opposed to doing them separately.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
The attenuator in my custom molded ear plugs is an Etymotic 15db piece that can be removed.  I wonder if there is an insert that Etymotic makes that can be headphones instead.  I would start with Etymotic to see if it can be used for both.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
I have custom molded ear plugs with the Etymotic filter. If you remove the filter, you can attach the Etymotic ER-6 headphones (with an adapter). It's a nice system.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:27:41 AM »
can you elaborate on that set-up?  sounds great but what's the cost for it all?
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:20:25 AM »

Here's the setup, though Brian's pictures aren't up anymore:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,39349.msg822628.html#msg822628

Cost for the ER6 headphones were about $75. I don't think they're made anymore. The adapters were a couple bucks. My brother is an audiologist, so my custom earplug molds were done at cost. They're relatively cheap. Run a search here for more info on the custom earplug molds.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
etymotic has a custom earmold program for a flat fee of $100

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
Yeah, bgalizio et al have it. Etymotic is the only group I know that does shells that can be used with IEMs and the standard sound plugs.

Last time I had impressions taken I asked what the entire setup runs and they said $225 gets you 2 molds (L/R), and 2 sets of filters (I picked -15db and -25db) and covered the doctor visit. You might consider getting 2 impressions done in a single visit (not $450, but somewhere around $240) and then ship one set an IEM maker that does custom units and one set to a lab that does the ety-style shells for use with the filter buttons. Some labs will do both, like Westone (so you'd only need one set of impressions), some do just one or the other. Depends on what IEMs you want.

On the earplug set, just make sure everything goes past the second bend in the ear canal when you get them back. Likely to be the same on the IEM set, but not always (e.g. the Westone UM3x adaptors are designed to only go past the 1st bend, but their ES3x IEMs go past the second, small quirk).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com