Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: amp just fried a channel  (Read 4956 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
amp just fried a channel
« on: September 28, 2004, 07:57:04 PM »
just turned on my amp to hear a pop from the unit and see smoke start coming out.  channel 3 seems fried

sh!t!

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: amp just fried a channel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »
That friggin sucks! Sorry Scott.

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:14:38 PM »
sucks scott.  ive got 2 extras lying around if you need a loaner. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:22:01 PM »
damn!

didn't the manual warn you not to let the smoke out? ;)

any idea what happened or was it a fluke accident? sorry to hear that...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:39:40 PM »
who wired the cable?  inquiring minds want to know :D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 09:46:28 PM »
not sure what happened.  all i know is channel 3 shorted out and it still smells.  the unit has an auto shut off because of it, so i can't even use the other channels.   i guess i'll just take it to an authorized arcam dealer and see if they can help, but i don't even think i can do that until saturday.   i think i may be out an amp for a few weeks.  sucks because i just got a tv and finally had a surround setup going.  now i can't even drive 1 speaker

hopefully i get some info tomorrow

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:48:43 PM »
ugh... sorry to hear that Scott...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 10:12:53 PM »
sorry to hear that scott, but at least you will have HD to get you through...watch Discovery HD...I have spent countless hours there watching crap I really could care less about because the picture is SO good :)

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 10:32:14 PM »
i doubt it.  the cable company claims they'll be here next mon...i don't believe it

we will see

dammit i just want my audio! :(

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:49:59 PM »
take Jonny up on his offer...

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 10:05:24 AM »
who knows, maybe ill sell you on the belles 150a :-)  most underrated amp ever.

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 10:12:26 AM »
just called a local arcam dealer, and he told me to call the US distributor.  he also mentioned NOT to tell them something shorted because they may blame speaker cable or something. 

what the hell?  i turned the amp on, smoke came out.  i didn't do anything.  warranty better cover this

who knows, i may end up taking you up on that offer...

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 10:38:35 AM »
yah ive learned the best way to deal with customer service is to tell them as little as humanly possible.  "i turned it on, as i have many times in the past, and as any customer would, and i heard a pop and smoke came out.  nothing changed at all in the setup"

sounds somewhat similar to one of my last conversations with apogee.

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 10:57:58 AM »
my speaker cables couldn't have anything to do with this anyway, as they are completely separate cables

i just got an email back from aslgroup, the distributor.  i guess i have to get the unit to a place in jersey.  it's 30 miles away, so i'm going to see if i can just drop it off there.  save in probably 50+ bucks in shipping

the cool thing about this amp is that it's a 7 channel amp with 7 isolated amplifiers in it.  if one goes bad, they can just replace that one amp. 

http://www.arcam.co.uk/fmj/products/P7.html

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »
my speaker cables couldn't have anything to do with this anyway, as they are completely separate cables

i just got an email back from aslgroup, the distributor.  i guess i have to get the unit to a place in jersey.  it's 30 miles away, so i'm going to see if i can just drop it off there.  save in probably 50+ bucks in shipping

the cool thing about this amp is that it's a 7 channel amp with 7 isolated amplifiers in it.  if one goes bad, they can just replace that one amp. 

http://www.arcam.co.uk/fmj/products/P7.html

For this reason alone I may go with the Emotiva 7 channel amp.  Each channel is a module that you put into the chassis.  If 1 blows you have six others still running while the other is being shipped to service.  Sound is number 1, so if it sounds as good as they claim I'll have it.

SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com