Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: amp/pre recommendations?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
amp/pre recommendations?
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:01:08 PM »
i just sniped a pair of b&w 604s3's off ebay. little xmas present to myself. my current receiver will not cut it for long. it seems adcom is the best bang for the buck on the used market. any others i should look at? ~$1000 buget for amp/pre. i am not against an all-in-one, but i know i do NOT want a sony. denon or h/k? thanks in advance. 
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: amp/pre recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »
why no sony?

antique sound labs is what you really want
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:59:35 PM »
I'm not sure if you're looking at tubes or not but I really like my PrimaLuna Prologue One and I've heard great things about the Prologue Two.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 01:01:15 AM »
i might get a sony, but i wasnt exactly thrilled w/ the all the "bells & whistles". i only need 2ch, and i like the a/d in my pioneer 563a, so i thought seperates was the way to go. i'm, also, leaning towards SS vs tubes. not sure why really, but i guess i could be persuaded. what pre's wil allow me to run a active sub? there are major deals on used adcom out there for about the same price as the 3000es is new.  thanks again. round of t's.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:00:12 AM »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:26:19 PM »
did i mention i require a remote? adcoms have remotes. my research online also dictates that adcom "sounds" like krell on the cheap. not sure where i read that, but i did. taken w/ a grain of salt as i have heard neither. im taking a page out your book, trey, and just impulse buying unitil i find what i like w/o ever hearing it first.  :P

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 09:03:56 PM »
I'm always pimpin the CJ gear.  on agon there is an MF2250 for $750.   I have one in my system and it's a very nice amp.  CJ has a reputation for warm SS amps.   They aren't warm in the fuzzy sense, they are warm as in not brittle. 

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1138067191

While I have not heard the Y-S preamp, it got great reviews here and I suspect it would be a good mate for the CJ SS amp.   Heres one for $225.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1138334219

You don't really need a remote.  I have one now but went a long time without one and never felt the need for one.  I know the three volume settings for my three listening situations and I have only one source.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:15:51 PM »
You should try to listen to the Adcom if you can.  My father bought a nice Adcom 2 channel system about 18 years ago and it still sounds great.  Tuner/Pre (with remote) and 200 watt power amp. 
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 09:25:01 PM »
I'm always pimpin the CJ gear.  on agon there is an MF2250 for $750.   I have one in my system and it's a very nice amp.  CJ has a reputation for warm SS amps.   They aren't warm in the fuzzy sense, they are warm as in not brittle. 

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1138067191

While I have not heard the Y-S preamp, it got great reviews here and I suspect it would be a good mate for the CJ SS amp.   Heres one for $225.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1138334219

You don't really need a remote.  I have one now but went a long time without one and never felt the need for one.  I know the three volume settings for my three listening situations and I have only one source.

thats seems like a sexy deal for 1000 clams. im still kickin the idea around of selling out and getting a sony. however, i like the idea of one day bi-amping if i go seperates.

You should try to listen to the Adcom if you can.  My father bought a nice Adcom 2 channel system about 18 years ago and it still sounds great.  Tuner/Pre (with remote) and 200 watt power amp. 

i have never heard an adcom and probably wont unless i pull the trigger on one, cause there are no dealers within a 500 mile radius. i have read that they are great for the money. thanks for the suggestions. t's.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 10:42:11 PM »
Nick (Nicks Picks)Suggested the Manley Stingray to me....iI think it is around 1G with his discounts and whatnot. Its what im getting soon as I can swing it.though its only 50wpc
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:55:45 PM by Teddy »

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 12:52:22 AM »
I just picked up a Morrison preamp off of ebay for about 5 bills. This thing sounds unbelieveable, it is so so clean, transparent and true!!  I have been re-listening to all my old pulls. Can be refined and delicate, and also deliver some serious throat-wobbling bass. Basically, this preamp has no sound of it's own, what is on the recording is what comes out.

Highly recommended, I don't think pre's can get better than this at ANY price. Man, do I love listening to this thing!

www.morrisonaudio.com

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/preamplifiers/morrison/PRD_118343_1591crx.aspx

As far as a power amp, I would look at Parasound, McCormack, and Adcom, just to name a few.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:57:24 AM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com