Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What would you do?
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:50:13 AM »
So I feel pretty confident that I did decent enough on my exam to go spend some of my bonus on gear,, but what do I do?  Budget is $1800 +/- 200 and I'm looking to upgrade my video/audio source and need a universal. Currently I'm using a 45a via 480i over 25' of component cable.  I think the pq could improve running a digital signal over this length.

I've been looking into the SP1000, 3910, 2910, and 2900.  The video quality matters and I would like to try HDMI to feed a digital signal to my digital display.  My FP has the same chip as the Denon products so the pq will be the same using those to upscale to 720P.

The SP1000 is said to have near $3K player audio quality and Doug has mentioned this to be a great sounding player.  However, there are reports by many that there is still a lip sync issue with these players and while they say they will fix it some speculate this may not be possible.  The player can be had for $1600

The 3910 has many bells and whistles for SACD and video quality.  The audio quality is said to be pretty good, but not as good as the Onkyo.  This is the only player I've been able to see in the area and nobody has it hooked up via HDMI or DVI.  $1200

The 2910 does not have the audio quality the 3910 has, but has the same video.  With this I could probably find a DAC-1 or other external DAC to run 2-channel, but would have to suffer DVD-A and SACD quality.  No TA on SACD either.  2910 = $650 + DAC-1 = $1625

The 2900 has near the audio quality of the 3910, but does not have a digital video connection.  I could also afford either an external DAC for 2-channel or have it SDI modded and add a DVDO Iscan HD+ in the future.  Adding the isacn would negate any reason for purchasing the IF for the DCDi.  This is one reason I purchased the unit.

Opinons?

sc.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 10:16:05 AM »
This is a very tough question.  I struggled with universal options before picking up that McCormack UDP-1...  After returning it, I'm back to a two-box solution.

The three things that are very difficult with universal players are:
1. Picture Quality
2. SACD and DVD-A audio quality
3. Redbook CD Playback.

For me, #3 was far more important than 1 and 2.  I have thousands of Redbook CDs, and the current future holds many more in the Redbook format.  DVD-A and SACD are for all intents and purposes disappearing off the consumer's radar, so Redbook is what we're left with until BluRay and HD-DVD fight it out in the marketplace.  I found it very difficult to find a universal that fulfilled my needs with Redbook playback; I have heard the Denon 5800 and 2900, and recently the 2910, and none have really been acceptable for one reason or another.  (this would be compared to a Redbook player of similar price).

Additionally, I haven't found one that excels with ALL formats.  The McCormack was great at Redbook CD and DVD-A, but I felt it's SACD qualities (with my admittedly small collection) weren't all that impressive.  This is a notable thing to mention because as I recall the Denon 2910 is known for good SACD but subpar DVD-A (IIRC that is what TAS reported recently).  Do you want to listen to 24-bit taper music with this player? 

A few years ago I did a 24-bit DAC shootout with my own recordings fed via a Pioneer Elite DV-37 to each DAC.  I couldn't find a DAC within spitting range of a grand that when fed the 24-bit signal "beat" my bud's Wadia 850 playing 16/44 downsample of the same show.  Technology has advanced significantly since then--I think DACs are better today than ever.  So this might not be as relevant anymore--but is still a truism at some point, as my new Redbook player is far better than any 24 bit material I've ever heard in my home short of my departed dCS.  I just want to mention this to get you thinking...  Unless you find a truly stellar unit, I think you would be better off with a DVD-P and an excellent Redbook player!

It's a hard thing to wrap your mind around, I mean, 24 bit SHOULD be better than 16/44 right?  It's not so simple anymore, and I've been hearing some REALLY good 16/44 lately.

Anyway, no real concrete advice for you here, just random thoughts to consider.  I stuck with a two-box solution: my Pioneer DV-37 for video duties (and as a 24-bit transport to my new CDP which has 24/96 DAC capability) and my Simaudio Moon Eclipse LE for music.  In the future, when HD-DVD and BluRay shake out, I plan on buying a 2nd gen or so player for my Video and (hopefully!) HD audio needs.

Why do you have 25' of cables?  That is certainly not an ideal run--I'd feel ok with 25' of balanced IC's, but not video, and certainly not audio.  I understand if the domestic situation requires this...  Sometimes there's nothing we can do. 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 11:48:31 AM »
Reason for 25' cable run is due to the FP.  Not too feasible to hang your DVDP from the ceiling as well  ;D

I've really considered the option you speak of.  Running a DVD player with a sep CDP.  Problem I'm having is I wonder if I can find a CDP for under $1K that will be good for redbook?  Do I really want to put a $600 DVD on a $6K projector??  Another option I'm looking at is getting the new Arcam that will output 480i over HDMI.

I don't listen to many recordings on my system.  I mainly play them in the car and I've gotten away from taping recently.

So you are saying you don't feel the DVDP is good as a transport?  I'm not too concerned with hi-rez as I don't have a big collection, but I do want it to sound good and keep DSD in the DSD format as some convert to PCM.

sc.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:49:32 AM »
DVD-Ps don't make great *redbook* transports, no.  I tried dozens of different transports with my old dCS and the DVD-Ps came in consistently on the bottom of the scale.  Same for the ack dAck! 2.0 I tried recently.  There was a group of audiophiles that initially thought DVD-Ps would make the *best* transports, but it didn't really pan out that way.

With a good CDP you won't be listening only in the car--that is a sure sign that something about your currnt rig is irritating you.  Can you find a really good CDP for under a grand?  Yes, I can think of a few.  One that comes to mind is the Rotel RCD-1072.  You need to audition this one first, as I have some reservations...  However, for the price, it has some real big strengths.  If you look used you'll have a LOT of options.  Hell, I have my Rega Jupiter 2000 up on a'gon for $1000.  That's a killer CDP, awesome for live stuff as it soundstages better than anything I could find this side of 2k.

About the DVD-P...  I am not a videophile so I really cant comment on that end of things.  I'm totally happy (video-wise) with my Pioneer Elite DV-37.  Next time I'm in my local hifi shop I'll ask them some Q's...  I was just there yesterday, sorry I didn't see your message.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:32:30 AM »
I meant I listen mainly to aud recordings in my truck.  I have tons and tons of concert recordings, but usually like to only listen to studio recordings at home. When I used to tape I would put them on to see how the recording was.

I went around yesterday and looked at a few options.  The Sony 975 DVDP at $300 seemd like it would be good for audition in my system, but it won't pass the below black pluge test.  I'm going to call and see if there is a firmware update to correct this.  I like the fact it can run 480i via hdmi.  This option would allow for a dedicated CDP.  Do you have a black or silver Rega?  Wife is requesting all silver.

I also got a chance to listen to the Integra 10.5.  Doug Oade has said this is one of the best players he has heard and has quite the analog section for 2-channel.  Mentions the implementation of the Wolfson DAC's is top notch.  It sounded really damn good with both Energy Veritas (which I can't stand) and PSB silver I's.  Sounded much beter than the Denon 2910

My listening is all done in one room and treatment leans a little to the HT side.  Eventually in my next home I will have rooms for both, but right now a new home is not a priority.  Still gotta do the kids thing and we will see how that impacts my plan!   ;D

Thanks
sc

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:17:19 PM »
Gotcha...

The Rega I have is silver.  It is perfect except for one minor rub on the upper left hand corner--I actually didn't notice it until I took it out of my rack for photos, so maybe I did it then?  Dunno, regardless, it's very minor and if you wanted to replace the piece it's probably not much more than a couple of bucks (it's a small access panel on the front, plastic). 

You can see some photos on a'gon, I've had it listed there for only a few days.  I had a guy (local, actually) contact me the first day it went up, he said he wanted it but asked if he could come over to audition the player.  I haven't heard back from him so it's still available.

The Jupiter uses 2 custom-made Wolfson DACs in dual-differential mode (rather like my Eclipse).  It has 7 separate power supplies to keep power clean to the different stages.  Here's a link:
http://www.rega.co.uk/html/jupiter.htm

It's a killer player.  $1895 new, I'm selling for $1k so it flies out the door!

Other players I've heard worth researching are the Musical Fidelity A5CD, the Simaudio Moon Equinox (or Nova if you can find one).  Lots of folks recommend the Cary players; I had a 308 and didn't like it at all, but I'm told the 303 and 306's are great (and can be had for pretty good used prices). 

I know how the kid stuff changes things..  We don't have any yet, but I made sure to make all mt hifi purchases before kids, so I could have something to do if we take that path  ;D

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 07:54:40 PM »
Have you checked out the new Marantz 9500 all-in one.

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 08:50:47 AM »
Yeah I've looked all over for it.  My local guy is planning on getting it soon.  I may just wait.  The only problem is that it only comes in black and the wife is leaning towards all silver (will try and discuss the black options).  Maybe I can get away with silver up in the living room and allow for black in the basement.

I might have another issue.  The rack I built under the stairs may only allow for a universal.  A top loading CDP will not work.  So, I'll probably order the SP1000 and test it out for a week.  If there are any issues it will go back.  I plan to compare the HDMI and component inputs.  If there is significant improvement over HDMI I will stick with that connection.  If it is not I will probably try to find a used Denon 2900 and purchase a CDP as well (if I can get it to fit).

I'll let everyone know my thoughts on the HDMI vs. component

sc.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »
Bummer, that's one of the only bummers about toploaders.  My new toploader also has a separate power supply chassis, and so my turntable is presently banished from my equipment armoire.  I just bought a TT wall shelf, tho, so hopefully I can spin some vinyl soon :)

I would be very interested to know how HDMI works out.  I haven't yet tried it with my TV.

You could also look at getting an external DAC for your universal...  You never know, you might hit the synergy jackpot.  That reminds me, I need to writeup the ack dAck! 2.0 before it fades from memory...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 06:52:50 AM »
Bummer, that's one of the only bummers about toploaders.  My new toploader also has a separate power supply chassis, and so my turntable is presently banished from my equipment armoire.  I just bought a TT wall shelf, tho, so hopefully I can spin some vinyl soon :)

I would be very interested to know how HDMI works out.  I haven't yet tried it with my TV.

You could also look at getting an external DAC for your universal...  You never know, you might hit the synergy jackpot.  That reminds me, I need to writeup the ack dAck! 2.0 before it fades from memory...

The fact I built the rack under the stairs kinda hurt, but everything is out of the way.  This was the second largest reason for moving this summer if we could work a deal with the wifes company.  Next time I will build a full height (8') rack with adjustable shelving and turntable shelf next to it. 

I mentioned getting an external DAC in the first post and you felt that was not a great option.  If I got something that reclocked the signal it would help, no?  Why the change of heart?  I'm planning to get a higher end UDP with good, very good video.  I might be able to expand later.

sc

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »
Not really a change of heart, per se...  Just working with what you've got. 

If you're planning on moving and having more room soon, I think I'd probably go for something with *excellent* video quality and have a listen.  If the audio is good enough for now, then enjoy.  Otherwise you could buy a used external DAC from a'gon to use for awhile.  I don't think anyone would feel like they were schlepping by spending some time with some excellent DACs that can be found for around $500.  This won't be optimal, but will be fine for a summer.  If at the end of the summer you do indeed move, sell the DAC for what you have in it and buy a good CDP.

You have alot invested in your projector--I think I'd be playing to that strength right now, and go for the excellent CDP when you have a bit more space...  Maybe that's a better plan? 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 11:22:43 AM »
That is what I'm thinking.  I'm actually waiting for a friend to sell his Dodson 217.  My system for now has to be multi purpose as the wife doesn't like sitting there listening to music, but if I'm going to spend money on the stuff she has to enjoy it (Sweet Home Alabama looks awesome at 106").  We went with the $$$ FP as she could tell the difference between the matterhorn chip and HD2..... 

My upgrade path is set in motion for the year:
1) UDP (possibly a DAC)
2) CDP
3) possibly a new home for all the gear

Next year holds:
1) pre/pro (if HDMI and firewire is finally avail)
2) amp
3) new sub

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 09:18:59 AM »
I think that is an excellent plan.

I'd love to see a good projector in action.  I have never seen one in an ideal setup.  The best one I've seen was above my head and annoyingly loud.  Is yours quiet?

I didn't even consider a projector when I bought our Sony tube HDTV.  I viewed it as a stopgap while all the projector/lcd/plasma technology shook out.  I like it...  But I sometimes find myself wanting something larger.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »
I think many feel the projector can't look good.  Is it ideal for daytime viewing in your living room, no!  Now if you have a media room it is another story.  I have a 55" Mits HDTV in the living room and when properly calibrated have the best HDTV image out there.  My projector is equally as good, just much much larger (8' wide)  OTA broadcasts look excellent and it has the Faroudja chip.  The resolution is 720P, so all DVD's look great as they are scaled to 720P. It hangs overhead and you don't notice when the movie or show is played.  W/o sound, yess you can hear it.  I was careful to run the proper HVAC to the room to control the temp.  It can get a little chilly down there, but nothing a blanket can't handle.  This is to keep the projector fan from cycling between low and high speed.

Once you see a good one, you will have to have it.  Check out www.infocus.com and check out the Screenplay 7205 (newrer version is 7210 which is just a little brighter).  Infocus are knownto be light cannon's so I put a ND2 filter on the lense and can still watch NASCAR and football with some ambient light on a matte white 1.0 gain screen.  I will be adding a Stewart Firehawk which will reject ambient light to allow for more lights to be on during the Super Bowl.

I will bump the thread of my room so you can check it out.  The screen pics don't really do it justice.

sc.

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 10:06:41 AM »
I think that is an excellent plan.

I'd love to see a good projector in action.  I have never seen one in an ideal setup.  The best one I've seen was above my head and annoyingly loud.  Is yours quiet?

I didn't even consider a projector when I bought our Sony tube HDTV.  I viewed it as a stopgap while all the projector/lcd/plasma technology shook out.  I like it...  But I sometimes find myself wanting something larger.

When I finally decided to buy a TV four years ago, the decision was between something with a big, heavy tube, or a 15 pound LCD projector.  I wanted to avoid having an acoustically reflective, 300 pound object sitting between the loudspeakers, so the projector won easily.

Unfortunately, fan noise is indeed an issue; it's not loud, just annoying.   In the ideal setup, the PJ gets installed in a hush box.  

The other big issue is re-lamping.  The lamps for my Sanyo run $400 each and last between 1,500 and 2,000 hours.  I just replaced the lamp in mine, but have to send the damn thing back since I'm not seeing the lumen output I should be getting.  

When all is said and done however, the difference between a television and a projector is the difference between watching a movie and viewing a film.  Well worth the investment!

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com