Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: windscreens.....what to get?  (Read 8477 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Re:windscreens.....what to get?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 09:27:12 AM »
one more thing, will the DPA UA0896 work w/ my audix scx-one mics?  i believe my mics are 21mm in dia.

-justin
save

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 09:28:24 AM »
where's a good place to pick the DPA UA0896 up at?  i'm having a hard time finding them.

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

-justin

http://www.sonicsense.com/access.htm

The price at sonic sense is in the range you will find these anywhere...unless you can find a used pair.

Nick

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 11:12:30 AM »
one more thing, will the DPA UA0896 work w/ my audix scx-one mics?  i believe my mics are 21mm in dia.

The DPA UA0896 are made for ~19mm mics, your 21mm will be just fine - a little snug, but just fine.

FWIW, the Shure A81WS are ~20mm and will also be fine a few mm in either direction.

The above info is also in the Archival section under the Flying Mics thread.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: windscreens.....what to get?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
Kicking an old thread since this topic doesn't warrant a new one.

I have the big ass shures and they work great.  Thinking of picking up a second pair of screens for when I'm running two pair for comps, etc. I need to keep the smoke out and sometimes deal with fans.

Trying to decide between the DPAs and another pair of the big ones.  Do they sound any different??

I like the way the big shures are constructed to create a lot of air around the vents.  How is the dpa constructed? The schoeps link seems to suggest bigger is better.  But I know that isn't the whole story.

Not surprisingly, small high-efficiency windscreens are found to have the worst effect on the sound.

http://www.filmebase.pt/Wind.html

Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
Trying to decide between the DPAs and another pair of the big ones.  Do they sound any different??

The DPA UA0896's have single density foam, unlike the dual-density Shure A81Ws.  The UA0896 foam density is roughly between the Shure A81WS's airy core foam and A81WS's much more dense outer foam.  I've used both and haven't noticed any difference, but then again I've not done any direct comps.  I imagine the Shure's attenuate a bit more HF, but nothing substantial enough for my ears to pick up.  Besides, when I'm using the Shure's, it's because I *need* the protection and any HF attenuation is offset by preventing nasty, unpleasant wind rumble.

FWIW, I have three pairs of windscreens - a very thin pair (similar to the Olsen Audiuo 1200 series) that function really more as pop screens and smoke protection;  the DPAs for indoors when I'm worried about ventilation breezes and smoke protection;  and the A81WS for outdoors.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 07:58:48 PM »
I guess I'll get some lighter screens to play with. Thanks!

It would be interesting if we could get someone with some real test gear to do some tests.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com