Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: N00b questions about playback/speakers  (Read 2475 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
N00b questions about playback/speakers
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:38:40 AM »
Hi all!

So I'm continuing the research on speakers for the computer.  We're getting a new desktop which will have a better soundcard (Audigy 2) and the time has come to get some decent sounds. 

I've been reading  threads in here (of course!) but I realise that my n00bness is such that I need to catch up on my learning.  We've always bought stereo equipment on the "we like what it sounded like" principle (we're the kind of annoying people who take our own CDs into stores and play them until we hear what we like) and this is the first time I've really dug into the tech aspects of  speakers, so forgive my complete ignorance in the questions below...

Requirements:  listeneable-to sound (with enough clarity for some basic mastering/editing). Fidelity and flat response probably better for us; heavy bass boost neither required nor desired. We play mostly (although not exclusively) classical, but seldom at neighbour-bashing volume - that said, it would be nice to be able to play at a "room level" on the computer which with the existing speakers isn't an option - the speakers it has don't pump out anything like enough sound.  Interestingly, computer sits in a wooden armoire which we have noticed actually IMPROVES the sound of our existing speakers by providing an acoustic enclosure (given they're crappy came-with-the-puter Labtecs, they sound surprisingly good, really. But we want more than that ...!).   Budget will only be around $100-150 - I've seen some of the recommendations in other threads (the Klipsch 2 and the Swans look interesting) - and all further recommendationsa re definitely welcomed! - but I need to understand more about how this all works too.

So.... with all that in mind:

- could somebody explain  w per channel and why it's important?  Is it to do with volume or quality of sound? (See?  Really dumb questions - sorry!)

- While I know the Audigy2 isn't the soundcard of choice in here, it's an improvement over what we had and it's what the new puter has in it.  Any settings or anything I should know about it to get the maximum out of it?

- for use as monitoring/editing speakers - what's the optimum placement?

- What's the difference between digital speakers vs non?  Isn't anything the computer pumps out to a speaker converted one way or the other already?  Doesn't the soundcard do that?

For all of this stuff, by all means direct me to other websites or FAQs somewhere - I'm just trying to catch up on my sadly lacking education in this department (am continuing to read the TS archive, too - just sometimes hard to find the info... but I'm digging, I'm digging!)

Thanks in advance, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to all US posters!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 09:40:55 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: N00b questions about playback/speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:05:02 AM »

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
Thanks for those links - I'm relieved to note that it wasn't ALL new information, at least... ;)

Some more Qs:

- digital vs "ordinary" active speaker - what're the pros/cons of each? Somebody mentioned in another thread that the advantage of digitals is that you can plug them straight into a recording device (eg JB3)... is that the only real diff? And is there therfore NO DAC going on in that scenario?

- what's the optimum PLACEMENT for speakers? I seem to remember something about a perfect triangle between them and your head, but is that it or is there something else I should know?

Thanks again!
DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:10:56 PM »
Glad the links helped.

What sort and how many speakers do you presently have on your computer?

As for the quality of speakers, what are you going to be using them for on the computer - only recordings, games, or general use?

Offline rectech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 10:01:26 PM »
In positioning your speakers, put your subwoofer in the middle and the two speakers either side. This is assuming you are working with only two speakers and a subwoofer? Life isn't the same without a subwolfer! Subwolfers rock!

As for your Labtec speakers . . .  have you tried Boston speakers? Even Bose speakers are in your price range.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 06:57:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

At the moment we have the crappy came-with-the-Dell Labtec speakers. They're ok for computer speakers, I suppose, but nuthin special to say the least!  Two of them - L+R.

I'll be using them mainly for music playback, and recording editing - almost all classical.  This is one of the reasons I'm questioning whether we need a sub, since most of what we listen to doesn't need much bass boost. Then again, I'm so amazed at the improvement in what we're hearing with teh new souncard (and horrified at how much I've been missing -a nd didnt' even REALISE I was missing) that I'm open to persuasion since this is, clearly, new ground.   So tell me:  what will a sub do for me? :)

At the moment, I'm seriously considreing going with the Klipsch 2.0 promedias - $100 at Dell and I have a  $75 coupon with them which makes that a very sweet deal (which is A Very Good Thing, especially since a  family emergency means a quickie trip to the UK at peak fare prices... ouch).  It seems it might be a decent upgrade for not much money.  If that doesn't work out, the Swans mentioned in here got some pretty darn glowing reviews. 

However, I'm not married to either of those choices and am open to further persuasion...  All suggestions entirely welcome, particularly if those two choices aren't likely to much improve what we've already got. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 06:59:49 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 10:48:17 AM »
My recommendation would be to go with a major brand set of speakers (I like Bose and Sony but sound like that's out of your price range). Since you will be using them a lot, if something goes wrong, you want to be able to find out the problem in talking to a real person or have a company that has a good replacement policy. Good speakers will last a long time so they're worth investing in.

Otherwise, if you're near a store, try different ones out to get an idea of what's out there. Every one has different ears, so what you might like and need for classical music would be different to others.

I wouldn't leave out the subwoofer either. It truly gives warmth to the sound, even if you think it's only concerned with the bass  ;)

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I actually DID go ahead and order the Klipsch 2  from Dell- with free shipping this week, no tax and thus a bottom line of $24 I didn't really think we could go wrong... and if I hate them I'll simply send them back (and try something with a sub ;))

I'll report back on them when they arrive. I know what you mean about personal taste - also, I think the acoustics of the room have such a bearing on the final sound.  Last time we went speaker shopping (for our stereo, not computer) we actually wound up with something cheaper simply because that was the set that sounded best in situ for what we wanted. So yeah, hear you on that.

Appreciate the comments - I'll let you know how we get on!
DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
Sounds like a good deal for your budget. Hope they arrive soon to enjoy them for Christmas!!!

Do let me know if you are completely happy with those speakers and the sound.

They didn't come with a sub did they?

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:14:46 PM »
Well, you'll see my "resports" in the other thread I posted earlier today when they arrived. 

I love the colour of sound, the clarity and (most importantly) the detail - the wealth of sound I've been missing with the other speakers is quite extraordinary.

Unfortunately, in upper mid range with lots of aural information (ie full orchestra/opera singers blaring away) they get overwhelmed and distort/colour quite a lot. I'm hoping against hope that maybe it's just a rattle growing from positioning and that I can site them so it doesn't happen (and haven't yet had time to play around and see if there's a "sweet spot" further away from walls, outside the computer cabinet, on desk instead of shelf etc) but I'm not convinced yet.

It's frustrating, cause the depth of sound is extraordinary for that kind of size and price (even without the coupon)!!  I just need to ensure they don't blow out in loud orchestral climaxes since that's bout 99% of what i listen to (and 99% of what I record!)

If I have to give up on these, I'll probably try the Swan m200's recc'd elsewhere. 

Real shame, cause these had such great reviews - bottom line is I'm just not looking for the same thing as most users, so I'll need to read even MORE with that in mind and try to read between the lines even better...

Anyway, thanks - I'll keep reporting back! I know this price range  is hardly touching audiophile stuff, but I figure since there may be other cash-strapped wannabees out there that it's worth posting just in case...

DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 07:12:50 PM »
You really should experiment with a sub. If you're worried about blowing out the speakers, the sub will take care of that. As mentioned before, it's not just all about bass sounds. From experience, if you don't have a sub, you're heading towards a short life of your speakers (in my case expensive ones - ouch!) that you'll keep wanting more from till they drop dead from playing sounds they can't handle. Just trying to help save you money as I've been there.

You don't have to spend much money on a sub. Look around. It will balance out any sound problems you have no matter what place you put your speakers in or sound card you have. Do think seriously about it and keep reading. Though most people use the sub for games and popular music, you may find that this will also suit your needs to balance out the sounds you want to hear.

Let me know how it all goes.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 09:25:23 AM »
Happy update:  RTFM ...

Ok, so there IS no manual with this, but I didn't realise until I started poking around in the settings on the computer itself that the Audigy is set by default to 5.1.  I changed it to 2, tweaked it around a bit AND (this is also important) turned the volume DOWN on the computer and up on the speakers and they performed VERY well.  Only the tiniest bit of colouration at room-shaking volume of very loud upper-midrange, and if I readjust the computer volume/speaker volume balance in those places I can get rid of 99.9% of it that way too.

So, revert, to position A - they're GREAT for cheap(ish) speakers!

Thanks again.
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com