Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to get best from ca14's(cards) and edirol r09-hr  (Read 3037 times)

Offline purplecockney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to get best from ca14's(cards) and edirol r09-hr
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »
Hoping for some help from more experienced members on this.
I have an edirol r09-hr /battery box/ and ca14 cards.
What settings should I use on the edirol ?
Should bass cut be on or off ?
Should plug in power be on or off ?
Should mic gain be on low or high ?
This will I know be very basic to most of you but I would appreciate your help so I can get the best results from this set up.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: How to get best from ca14's(cards) and edirol r09-hr
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
Bass cut OFF (if too bass heavy, EQ it afterwards for better, less drastic, more predicatable results)
Plug-in power OFF(when using battery box, ON if no batt box)
Mic gain HIGH/LOW depends on the sound pressure level of what you are recording (generally for loud stuff LOW, for quiet stuff HIGH)

Start with the mic gain set to LOW.  Adjust the input level so the highest peaks on the meters land around -12dBFS (to allow some headroom for possible louder peaks without clipping).  If you cannot get levels high enough to peak around -12, switch the gain setting to HIGH and readjust input levels.  If you can get levels high enough but are near the top of the adjustable range, you may also want to switch gain setting to HIGH if allows you to keep the input level setting closer to the center of the available range.

Warning: In either case, there is a do-not-go-below input level setting.  I can't recall exactly what it is on the R-09HR since I never used that recorder, but its total input level number range is something like 0-50 if I recall correctly, and that's different than the original R-09 which has an input level range of 0-30.  On the original R-09, the do-not-go-below input level setting is 9, regardless of the HIGH/LOW gain switch setting.  At settings below that the meters will not show peaking and the peak light will not activate, even though the recorder may be severely overloading, resulting in a distorted recording.

Someone will probably post the do-not-go-below input level setting for the HR, or you can use the search function to find the Edirol/Roland R-09HR user thread where you can find that information.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
To add to the above, if you are recording loud stuff then go line-in, then the low/high mic gain setting won't matter. If you're recording acoustic quiet things then try mic-in whilst monitoring levels. As gutbucket said there is a level thou shalt not go below. I used to run a R-09HR and I never went below 20 but I think that was pushing it.  And I think 25 is more like it (range is 0-80).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:24:00 AM by yates7592 »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
I used to run a R-09HR and I never went below 20 but I think that was pushing it.  And I think 25 is more like it (range is 0-80).

20 should be safe. I made a note in my manual that someone once posted that they tested this and that you should not go below 18, but I forget who it was. It's pretty easy to test for this on your home stereo. I just tested my new Zoom H6 (don't go below a little above 1.5/10).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline RAQnasty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
I have run my r09-HR many times using the line-in option and setting the input at 25.  No issues there.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.389 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com