Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY VU meters for any source ...  (Read 38042 times)

Offline Diggin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
Re:DIY VU meters for any source ...
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2004, 09:59:11 PM »
well this sucks.  I went to adjust my right side and the screw popped out.  now it doesn't adjust at all
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2004, 10:26:22 PM »
I feel your pain man.  Call up Guy Graphics and let 'em know another one's coming back.  I just got my replacement today, hopefully this one will be stable.

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2004, 10:35:38 PM »
I will first thing tomorrow
good luck with your new one
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2004, 12:33:02 AM »
Matt - I think so.

(and I got the 1, don't need no stinking headphones!)
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2004, 04:38:17 PM »
new SVU-2's lookin' REAL good y'all!  Ran it through it's paces this morning and I think I'm really gonna like this thing, it's sooo nice to have visual levels now.  mmmmatt and others, thanks again for the calibration hints, you saved my ass a lot of time.

Diggin, hang in there, it'll be worth the wait for your new SVU...

peace

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2004, 09:32:41 PM »
... all around to Team SVU-x, from your most recent member!

Team SVU-X. hahaha. I used mine real briefly over the weekend after doing a half-ass calibration and I am still SOOOO much happier now. So, now I need to buckle down with calibration techniques now. Any recommendations for free-ware programs? I use CDWav to split the tracks from my JB3. But, I would like to record some test tracks and see the dB's.

Tam SVU-X rocks!  8)
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline mirth

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:58 PM »
Why not use CDWave to record? Thats what I plan on doing now that I won't have to rely on Wavelab for metering... I bet it'll have a lighter footprint on system resources, too.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2004, 10:56:20 PM »
... all around to Team SVU-x, from your most recent member!

Team SVU-X. hahaha. I used mine real briefly over the weekend after doing a half-ass calibration and I am still SOOOO much happier now. So, now I need to buckle down with calibration techniques now. Any recommendations for free-ware programs? I use CDWav to split the tracks from my JB3. But, I would like to record some test tracks and see the dB's.

Tam SVU-X rocks!  8)
You can generate test tones in audacity, save as a wave, and then burn to cd.  You can check levels in percent by using exact audio copy (eac).  With eac you have to delete one chanel then run a "show peak level" command.  Then undo the delete, and reverse the process to check the other chanel.  EAC and Audacity are both shareware and can be found by searching the names in google.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2004, 09:32:12 AM »
Got teh DIY level meter done. Pics areup in the pic section. O ya...no more SVU fluffing! I prefer the plain old law and Order... :lol:

Offline mirth

« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2004, 11:05:40 AM »
Almost a month after getting my SVU-1 I took it out for its maiden voyage last night.

I gotta say, this little piece of equipment is well worth every penny spent! Within a minute of the opening act starting I had my levels set just right, and the rest of the night was a piece of cake.

+T to the Wise Fools Pub's sound guy for being super cool in letting me plug into power by him. I could have easily run on batteries all night, but this let me forget about the laptop for a while instead and catch up with some old friends. Good stuff!

if anybody's interested in hearing either band, once the tracking & whatnot is done look for it in the kickdowns early next week.

pix will be in the rig pics board once I get the film developed... :)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2004, 11:27:49 AM »
Almost a month after getting my SVU-1 I took it out for its maiden voyage last night.

I gotta say, this little piece of equipment is well worth every penny spent! Within a minute of the opening act starting I had my levels set just right, and the rest of the night was a piece of cake.

+T to the Wise Fools Pub's sound guy for being super cool in letting me plug into power by him. I could have easily run on batteries all night, but this let me forget about the laptop for a while instead and catch up with some old friends. Good stuff!

if anybody's interested in hearing either band, once the tracking & whatnot is done look for it in the kickdowns early next week.

pix will be in the rig pics board once I get the film developed... :)
Wow Mirth... I was begining to think you were retiring!!!  Meters are the shit, huh?  Glad it's working out for you!  Now lets make sure we get to some Summerfest action, and keep the dust off thoes AKGs!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mirth

« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
Heh. I don't get out too often, the wife & kid try to keep me around the house as much as possible... ;)

Some summerfest action sounds good, although with Phish the last weekend before July and my son's bday party on the 4th my weekends are looking pretty booked.

My brother's band has another gig in Oak Park on Sunday, afternoon outdoor thing @ a community festival. Their set will be ~45min, anybody's welcome to attend & roll tape.

I got an offer last night from the opening band for payment of my services for a copy. What to do, what to do?

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »
I agree with y'all, the SVU meters are the shizzle.  I taped a jam session a couple of weeks ago, and then a backyard gig last weekend and it was sooo easy to just glance over at my bag while I was playing and know that my levels were just right.  +T to mmmatt and everyone else for all the research.  I really feel fully satisfied about my UA-5 now that I have meters.

peace

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2004, 12:22:25 PM »
Heh. I don't get out too often, the wife & kid try to keep me around the house as much as possible... ;)

Some summerfest action sounds good, although with Phish the last weekend before July and my son's bday party on the 4th my weekends are looking pretty booked.

My brother's band has another gig in Oak Park on Sunday, afternoon outdoor thing @ a community festival. Their set will be ~45min, anybody's welcome to attend & roll tape.

I got an offer last night from the opening band for payment of my services for a copy. What to do, what to do?
Well sunday morning I have my daughter, and sunday afternoon I work, so that one is out for me.  You know I'll keep bugging your Mirth!  We'll hook up for a show one of these days!!!  
     As for the payment, I recomend that you tell them that they can have it for free if they distribute it freely.  If they are going to use it for sale, you should be compensated IMHO.  Set something up with them for another event and charge them for that one.  If you want to play with some cards, or run a double (4chan) ua5 rig let me know.  I'll hook ya up!

Matt

Offline mirth

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2004, 01:55:08 PM »
Well hey, got anything going on in the next week or so? I'm gonna be in k-town tomorrow & if I had the opportunity to do a cap swap I'd take you up on it. Natch I'd leave my 93s with you so ya wouldn't be left w/o functional AKG's...

The lead singer did offer a case of beer as payment, so maybe I'd take him up on that. I still have to xfer their set though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com