Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY VU meters for any source ...  (Read 37578 times)

Offline kev B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
Re:DIY VU meters for any source ...
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2004, 08:12:50 PM »
I just looked at a closer up picture and one drawback is that it only steps up in steps of 3 db....ideally would want steps of 1 when near 0.

There was a thread on the oade board a week or two ago about the SVU-1 and SVU-2. Somebody made the recommendation of ignore the numbers printed on the unit. After all, you have to calibrate the SVU-1/SVU-2 to your setup. I am considering the SVU-1 for my own set up. And, I think I would have the the Yellow indicator blinkinh just before the -3db UA-5 lights up.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »
Ahh, I didn't realize you can calibrate it to be whatever you want....but that just means still you will only be looking for one light, right?   Which should be fine.   You can't "calibrize" the integrals I am assuming?
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2004, 12:26:52 AM »
There was a thread on the oade board a week or two ago about the SVU-1 and SVU-2. Somebody made the recommendation of ignore the numbers printed on the unit. After all, you have to calibrate the SVU-1/SVU-2 to your setup.

I started that thread on the oade board, and doug said this "...I would calibrate it so +6 dB equals an over, ignore the silkscreened values and just use the color of the lights to know what my levels are..."  
I think that the actual db steps are relative anyway, based on the calibration setting.  I'm not counting on that type of acuracy.  I'm just looking for meters I can read at a glance in a taping environment, and to know how close I am to overdriving the jb3.  I'm usually gun-shy on the heat, and some of my recordings are at only 50%...  Not a huge deal, but I know my recordings will sound better if I run hotter.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2004, 12:59:44 AM »
yea numbers are pointless.  Just make sure you know what our calibration point is.  mine is the bottom red LED.  I tried to use them at first but it was just a head ache.  It is really just a visual aid so in theroy you can calibrate it to any point on the LED's as your "limit"
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2004, 06:22:28 PM »
I agree with the consensus. You have to caibrate for your set up. I would think after a few shows, you would be very comfortable with a unit like those. It took me a few shows to realize the power (or lack of) the peak light  for a UA-5. Now, I just want a little help.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2004, 09:28:03 AM »
I'm getting my svu-2 today, and will surely be playing with it untill all hours of the night.  I will post my impressions tonight.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »
well... my prediction was right!  It is almost 3 am and I have been playing with this meter (beachtec svu-2) for about 4 hours.  Here is the low down:
The case is very nice the knob feels solid. Overall the unit appears to be built like a tank.  The "fit and finish" is good but not great.  The calibration knobs are not quite centered in their openings, but otherwise seems ok for the price.  The meters are very active and even though they bounce quite a bit I think they will be wonderful to read in a dark club or a bright outdoor venue.
     I will run it off the line out from my jb3 vs from the ua-5.  I thought that the knob controlled outputs from the ua-5 left room for error.  The output of the jb3 is a lower level however and with the svu-2 calibrated with the right side maxed, and the left side a tiny bit back (my final setting) produced a -o- db reading with the peak light flickering on the ua-5, and anything over +3 db overdrives the jb3, and clips the ua-5.
     I first started testing with music off my home stereo, then eventually went to a few test tones with ballance to one speaker and the mics symetricaly placed directly in front of the active speaker.  The final test tones I recorded (wht noise and 440 hz tone) were within 2% between left and right chanels.  I think I got it where I want it.  Hopefully is Karl Denson doesn't decide that the almighty dollar is better than the taper fans that got him where he is next tuesday, I will be able to administer the final test.
     As for the headphone amp.  It is loud... far louder than the edirol amp.  Much cleaner as well.  This should be a benefit in the field as well.  The thing I didn't like was that the calibration controll adjusted the headphone amp as well as the vu's.  Overall I think the unit was a good investment for me.
     The unit is powered by a typical 9v internal battery.  It doesn't have the typical connection, but instead has a little spring loaded tray that the battery slides in with the contacts exposed, then when you push the tray in, the contacts on the battery touch flat contacts inside the unit.  I made a little adaptor to conect to my ua-5 batterys, and that was fairly easy to do.

Thats it, any questions... let me know!

Matt

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2004, 06:55:59 PM »
Hey Matt, thanks for the rundown, this sounds very promising.  Question: is calibration difficult to achieve, or would it be easy for a non-techie like myself?  Also, what do you use to connect the SVU-2 to your JB3?  Dual RCA to mini-plug is my guess.  I'm thinking about the SVU-1 since I don't use headphones much for monitoring at a loud show, yet I can be persuaded.  You think the headphone amp will be strong enough to hear now?  What phones do you use?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but as you can see I'm as excited about this prospect as you are  :)

thanks,
Keith

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2004, 10:37:45 PM »
calibration was a pain in the ass, but I could help you make it easier.  I am no techie... but I know what I like to hear.  I think using test tones, one side of my stereo system, and the software made it much easier... I'd say I did all the valuble work in the last hour ( I spent a good 3 or 4).  The hardest part was realizing that the  meters on my jb3 were drastically inacurate.  
m    I connect with mini  to rca as suspected.  I like to use headphones.  (Senheiser hd 280s) I think guys who have a hundred shows under their belt can look at their mics and know they got it set right, but  I only trust my ears.  Even my ears, i don't always trust, so having the meters and audible headphones is a big plus for me.  I'm doing a ktdu show in chicago on the 20th at the house of blues, so I'll let you know if all works as planed.  I think for someone who is  a very particular listener, yet not an overly experienced taper, like myself, the ability to give yourself a few more ways of monitoring your recording is only going to cut down on the trial and error that all tapers go through.  
      Ask away if you have any more questions.

Matt

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2004, 08:45:51 AM »
post some pics please! and where did you buy this?
the show is over go home please.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2004, 09:42:53 AM »
This is the SVU-1, which is the same model minus the headphone jack. There's one currently on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3810180175&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 09:43:29 AM by mirth »
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »
post some pics please! and where did you buy this?
Here is a link to the manuacture:
http://beachtek.com/svu2.html

It sells for $125 here
http://www.guygraphics.com/ .  Guy graphics is the same retailer that sells the svu-1 on ebay.  They were good to work with and sent it right away.  At the time I bought mine the website said that they were out of stock, but I emailed and they had them but hadn't updated there site yet.
any more questions just ask
Matt
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 11:23:37 AM by mmmatt »

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »
Cool. That looks like a good option. Too bad I couldn't get enough signal from my JB3 to drive my $20 meter! :(
Have you tried the headphone jack on the JB3? Is the one on the meter significantly different?
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2004, 12:27:38 PM »
I was refering to you posting a pic. I think that the pics that we tak of our gear are much more useful to us than corporate product pics.

I would like to see this in relation to the JB3 and the addaptor that you made for the batterys
the show is over go home please.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2004, 01:55:44 PM »
Have you tried the headphone jack on the JB3? Is the one on the meter significantly different?

Yes, the jb3 was the least powerful, the edirol next, and the svu-2 was about the same as the output from my little berhinger mixer.  Substantialy better that either the ua-5 or the jb3.  I've used my mixer in the fiels and it is plenty audible, so I assume that the svu-2 will be as well... they have the same specs and sound the same to me.
   As for pics, I'm doing the final tweaks on my new bag and I'll post a bunch of pics within a few days.  I'll try to get it wrapped before the end of the weekend.
Matt
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 02:01:48 PM by mmmatt »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com