Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about the SP-CMC-25?  (Read 12016 times)

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone know anything about the SP-CMC-25?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
Hello:

Sorry, I don't know what the loaner program is......can someone enlighten me? I am surprised that it hasn't come up before (and we have been doing this for almost 13 years :-)

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
sales@soundprofessionals.com
www.soundprofessionals.com
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06:35 PM »
Hello:

Sorry, I don't know what the loaner program is......can someone enlighten me? I am surprised that it hasn't come up before (and we have been doing this for almost 13 years :-)

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno

Chris, it's not so much a program per se, but rather just something that Chris Church does with some of his mics.  He sends out a set of whatever type mics and lets TSers borrow and test them out for awhile.  TSers pass it on to others interested in testing them and so the mics are basically out in circulation for people to test out.  He keeps track of who has the mics and who is in line to get the mics on a thread in the retail forum.  AFAIK, no other vendors do this, but Chris Church has done this with several of his mics in the pre-production period as well as in post-production too.

Offline LZJoker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »
First time out last Fri with these mics, i'm quite pleased with the result:

05. Whole Lotta Love.mp3 - 10.22MB (The link will stream)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:28:53 PM by LZJoker »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
First time out last Fri with these mics, i'm quite pleased with the result:

05. Whole Lotta Love.mp3 - 10.22MB (The link will stream)

I'm always curious to hear new mics.

But what I really want to hear are "ambient" recordings.  Just put the mics up in your kitchen and record dinnertime, washing the dishes, feeding your dog or whatever, then put up a small (one or two minute sample).  A great mic will give stunning realism and natural sound, while a lesser mic will pick everything up just fine, but will sound like "a recording", something you might get with an old cassette recorder.

Ideally a clean analog front end (Edirol, Tascam etc, or even minidisc) would be preferred over "consumer grade" nJB3 or iRiver, but anything you can get is fine.

Lately what I've been doing is putting two mics side by side and recording one of the left channel and the other on the right channel.  Then playback in mono and alternate between them to hear the differences.  I built a little "switchbox" that has two stereo miniplug inputs and one output.  It takes the right channel from two different stereo mics and routes them to L/R of the recorder.

This is more geeky than watching or playing sports.  You can go outside and record traffic, lawnmowers, etc if you like too, just don't exercise please...

Richard

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:14:20 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mrbollweevil

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
Hi folks, my first post here although I have been recording for many years.
 I just bought a pair of these Sound Pros and they make a nice recording . BUT , I am rather bemused by the amount of noise they pick up with the slightest movement . I've been using core sound binaurals sewn into a shirt  , running line out with a core sounds battery box and these mics had no problems with rustle if I moved a little to adjust levels etc, or even moved a few feet to get way from a yacking aud member . Whilst these sound pros are much better sound wise,( in fact they sound really really good )  I can't see myself being able to use them fro stealthing unless I mount them on something that makes no contact with clothing, this means they are going to be on view and this negates their value as stealth mics.
I was using all deck settings  on low gain and the mics fed into a sound pro bb. theres just as much noise on both my edirol or zoom decks . 
Has any one had the same problem with any other sound pro cards ? is this sort of nose level typical with cardiods ? , if I am going to change these over ( which I think has to happen , as I have tried softening the clothes rustle with foam and even when input levels are ultra low you can still hear noise  ) , which of the sound professionals cardiods do you recommend if I do have to send these back ?
all help greatly appreciated .

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
Hello:

Handling noise is always an issue with miniature caridoids, regardless of the brand.....not so with omnis. You need to set them up and pretty much leave them alone, or use a mount that keeps them from mivign around, like Croakies (for example).

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline mrbollweevil

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 03:17:31 AM »
thanks, I've worked out a way to set them up now and so they are out of sight  . I can report that they are very nice mics and can recommend them to anyone who wants a clean sound for a decent price. Knocks shit out of the mid range core sounds

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Handling noise is always an issue with miniature caridoids, regardless of the brand.....not so with omnis. You need to set them up and pretty much leave them alone, or use a mount that keeps them from mivign around, like Croakies (for example).

These tiny mics sound perfect for Croakies.  It's cool that they are mini cards and not omnis also, would love to hear some sources show up on LMA.  8)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »
I just grabbed a pair, mounted in the croakies since I wear glasses.  A sound sample from emmitt-nershi band from port city portland, me from a few weeks ago.....
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
I just grabbed a pair, mounted in the croakies since I wear glasses.  A sound sample from emmitt-nershi band from port city portland, me from a few weeks ago.....
Sounds like they are distorting, on vocal peak.  Need a bit more of a sample to judge the rest.  They could have detail, but it is hard to tell with distortion.

I'm always interested in new mics, but these may need three-wire or 4.7k mod to work properly.  I would like to try a pair, but IMO the price is too high, especially for an unknown product.

I think the first step would be if someone could run these at an acoustic gig, or with just ambient sounds.  If they sound great then, one could investigate whether it is worth figuring out the powering to make them run for louder settings.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:44:13 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
here is a better sample of Assembly of Dust from the same night.  The ENB sample wasn't a good representation, had mics plugged into mic in....on AOD, I plugged them into line in...much better results in vocals....sorry bout that.
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
here is a better sample of Assembly of Dust from the same night.  The ENB sample wasn't a good representation, had mics plugged into mic in....on AOD, I plugged them into line in...much better results in vocals....sorry bout that.

Sounds pretty decent, thanks for posting it.  Now, if we can just hear a full song or show on LMA... ;D

Offline LZJoker

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
here's a show i saw done with cmc-25s:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=275094
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=529660

Here is a local show I recorded last night in a small town hall room in Rollinsford, nh using sp cmc-25 croakie mounts into a batt. box>oade concert mod pmd 620.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com