Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Understanding Polar Pattern diagrams.  (Read 8373 times)

Offline raoulduke

• Trade Count: (52)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Got Gefell?
Re: Understanding Polar Pattern diagrams.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
Thanks for going over this clearly and in such depth.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I'd intended to post one more analysis of a specific Neumann cardioid's polar response in this thread (the KM 84 and its siblings), but my mother passed away last Sunday so I spent the week helping to close out her apartment in Pittsburgh. (Shout out to any Pittsburgh-area tapers who may be here; I'm originally from north of there.)

Now that I'm back home, I've posted a reply in the Microphones & Setup thread, "I have MK2's - Need Advice On Active Cables and a Tinybox" which discusses the practical effect of polar response in the selection of omnidirectional microphones or capsules. Maybe I should have posted it here and posted the reference there, but in this thread I was asked about cardioids, and in that thread the OP has a pair of Schoeps MK 2 capsules.

When I've rested up some more, I'll post what I was going to write about the KM 84 et al. Unlike the above two (the U 47 and the U 67/U 87, both absolute classics in the studio world and also for voiceover applications, which is another form of spot/solo miking), it's an example of a cardioid with very desirable characteristics for live stereo recording in at least moderately reverberant spaces with coincident or closely-spaced mike setups.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:35:38 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
People like me have some "pieces" of knowledge, people like you have ("almost" to honor your modesty...) all the pieces plus the links between them: that makes a LOT of difference!

Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Thank you for your time and effort DSatz. It is appreciated.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com