Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Download akg393 vs. km184 comparison  (Read 6292 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: Download akg393 vs. km184 comparison
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 09:30:30 PM »
hahah, $10 speakers.

I always use headphones for these types of comparisons.

Anyways, I've kept it secret long enough, here are the results:

From the first comparison:
002 = Neumann KM184's
003 = AKG 393's

From the second comparison:
1A = Neumann KM184's
1B = AKG 393's
2A = Neumann KM184's
2B = AKG 393's

The vote in terms of preference was fairly split, with the nudge perhaps going to the 184's due to their performance in the second comparison. My opinion is that from this preliminary test taping off the stereo in the living room, it's too close to really tell which one is the clearcut winner (if there even is one).

I will be doing a true test at moe in Syracuse next month, unless somebody buys the 393's in the next day or so. Ideally, I'll keep everything until after the test, and sell the one which I like least.

Thanks everyone for listening to the samples and giving your opinions!

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »
Since I got it right, and ed didn't....  Does that mean that my $10 speakers are better than his, or just that I haven't been to as many rock shows without my earplugs.   ;D   :P   8)   :o

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 09:47:10 PM »
I like 1B more than 1A. There seems to be better stereo separation and placement. The instruments are in deeper in your head instead of right in front. Again, don't know if any of this is making sense. lol

I also like 2B more than 2A for the same reason.

Watch... 1B will be the same mic as 2A and totally blow my mind.

I will say though that both mics sound great. I'm happy I picked up the 391s. Just gotta get out and tape. :)

You should be very happy then, since the B samples are the AKG's... you'll be happy with your mics man!

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 10:00:01 PM »
Since I got it right, and ed didn't....  Does that mean that my $10 speakers are better than his, or just that I haven't been to as many rock shows without my earplugs.   ;D   :P   8)   :o

haha, well, i was listening on my roommates radioshack headphones from my laptop sound card.  either way, i'm impressed with both sets of mics.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 10:19:46 PM »

haha, well, i was listening on my roommates radioshack headphones from my laptop sound card.  either way, i'm impressed with both sets of mics.

I guess I should've said that too.  Both mics sounded nice.

So.. $10 KLH speakers > borrowed radioshack headphones   ;D

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »
So.. $10 KLH speakers > borrowed radioshack headphones   ;D

haha +t

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 01:21:37 AM »
hahah, $10 speakers.

I always use headphones for these types of comparisons.

Anyways, I've kept it secret long enough, here are the results:

From the first comparison:
002 = Neumann KM184's
003 = AKG 393's

From the second comparison:
1A = Neumann KM184's
1B = AKG 393's
2A = Neumann KM184's
2B = AKG 393's

The vote in terms of preference was fairly split, with the nudge perhaps going to the 184's due to their performance in the second comparison. My opinion is that from this preliminary test taping off the stereo in the living room, it's too close to really tell which one is the clearcut winner (if there even is one).

I will be doing a true test at moe in Syracuse next month, unless somebody buys the 393's in the next day or so. Ideally, I'll keep everything until after the test, and sell the one which I like least.

Thanks everyone for listening to the samples and giving your opinions!

Thanks Andrew!  Please try to run both mics in a live setting.  I think we'll hear more.  Now, ideally it would an an acoustic venue.  That is where i expect the Neumann to shine.  But I'd still like to hear a PA recording since that is what most of us tapirs do.  Finally, please keep in mind that we are comparing cards to hypers, so they may sound a little different in a live room.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 01:53:38 AM »
Yeah, if I hadn't sold my card caps to you for the 390's, that's the comparison I would have been posting  ;D

I'm mostly doing this for myself as a test in my usual taping environments to see, between these exact 2 sets of mics, which I prefer... and I'm sharing for all, just to help with other people's decisions.

My gut tells me that this comparison might really improve people's opinions of the 390's, as sometimes I get the sense that they're an under-rated mic when put against all the bigger budget setups.

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 02:25:38 AM »
I like 1B more than 1A. There seems to be better stereo separation and placement. The instruments are in deeper in your head instead of right in front. Again, don't know if any of this is making sense. lol

I will say though that both mics sound great. I'm happy I picked up the 391s. Just gotta get out and tape. :)

You should be very happy then, since the B samples are the AKG's... you'll be happy with your mics man!

That is AWESOME. Now we just need to hear comparisons between the 390s and some 480s so I can find out if I ever truly need to upgrade.  :P
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 02:47:12 AM »

That is AWESOME. Now we just need to hear comparisons between the 390s and some 480s so I can find out if I ever truly need to upgrade.  :P

I'd recommend running your mics for at least 6-12 months before looking into that sort of comparison, haha. The mere mention of it will bring all those 480 fluffers in here, and we don't want that, do we?  >:D jk, 480's are sexy as are most AKG's.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 02:54:07 PM »
I'd recommend running your mics for at least 6-12 months before looking into that sort of comparison, haha. The mere mention of it will bring all those 480 fluffers in here, and we don't want that, do we?  >:D jk, 480's are sexy as are most AKG's.

I ran the bluelines for a couple of years (391s) I liked them a lot and in fact, still have a few shows that I recorded with them that I prefer to other sources. However, I never liked the sound of the 480s. I always felt they were a bit too hyped up in the bottom end. I want a nice clean bottom end... but I'm spoiled and usually run 3 or 4 mics. The addition of an omni to a set of cards will do wonders for a recording... however that also means a different mixer than what most people are using. Anyhow, I loved the bluelines, but didn't care much for the sibling 480 series....

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com