Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann km184's and attenuation?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Neumann km184's and attenuation?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »
Ran the 184's into the mp-2 the other night without attenuators (they haven't arrived yet). In a smallish club, FOB, I had to keep the gain set all the way down to its min. setting (which for the mp-2 is 16db)... that gave me perfect levels actually, but I might find myself in louder situations, so I'm glad I opted to get a set of attenuators, which should be arriving any day now.

on the MP-2, if you use the XLR outputs, you are correct that the min gain is 16 dB.  If you use the 1/8" output, the gain range is 10dB less, so the minimum gain is only 6dB.  if you get yourself a nice cable to use the 1/8" output, than you can probably avoid attenuators altogether.

check it out, on page 2:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Manual_SoundDevicesMP-2.pdf

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: Neumann km184's and attenuation?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »
Ran the 184's into the mp-2 the other night without attenuators (they haven't arrived yet). In a smallish club, FOB, I had to keep the gain set all the way down to its min. setting (which for the mp-2 is 16db)... that gave me perfect levels actually, but I might find myself in louder situations, so I'm glad I opted to get a set of attenuators, which should be arriving any day now.

on the MP-2, if you use the XLR outputs, you are correct that the min gain is 16 dB.  If you use the 1/8" output, the gain range is 10dB less, so the minimum gain is only 6dB.  if you get yourself a nice cable to use the 1/8" output, than you can probably avoid attenuators altogether.

check it out, on page 2:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Manual_SoundDevicesMP-2.pdf

That's actually what I was doing. I think attenuators are still a good thing to keep around.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com