Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got a PMD 661 (oade supermod) - do I need A Church Audio pre?  (Read 6536 times)

Offline vibralux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi guys

Im a newb here so please forgive me any obvious questions.
I just bought a PMD 661 (supermod) for stealth recordings. Now - I wanted to by Church's mics for it. There is a good deal for his mic's and a pre - but I am wondering - is there a noticeable difference between PMD's pres and Church Audio Pre? Should I go for it or just buy the mic's?

Cheers
Marty

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Got a PMD 661 (oade supermod) - do I need A Church Audio pre?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »
I don't think that you'd need the church pre, as I think the PMD-661 is quite good on it's own (especially after being modded by oade).
however, you are going to need a way to power your mics.   The PMD-661 provides phantom power via XLR inputs, and if you've got church audio mics, than you'll likely need plug-in power via an 1/8" connector (please correct me if I'm wrong there).  The 1/8" input on the PMD-661 is a line-in only, and doesn't provide any power for mics.

as an alternative to buying a separate box just to power the mics, I know the Naiant studios (aka "mshilarious" on taperssection) makes a nice little adapter:
http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/cleverdevices.html
and scroll down to the "PFA-P Phantom Adaptor for Stereo Plug-in Power Microphones"

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
While Im sure the Oade mod sounds great - and you have it there if you get full size condenser mics...

But the Church stuff gets great reviews as well...

I think the Church pre outputs a line level - so you should be good there...

The XLRs take a line signal also, I believe. So you still might be able to reap the benefits of the Oade mod there as well...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »
While Im sure the Oade mod sounds great - and you have it there if you get full size condenser mics...

But the Church stuff gets great reviews as well...

I think the Church pre outputs a line level - so you should be good there...

The XLRs take a line signal also, I believe. So you still might be able to reap the benefits of the Oade mod there as well...

If he gets the Church box, he can just run the 1/8" stero out from that to the 1/8" line in on the 661, but it will not pass through the mod. Line in on the XLRs is 14db less sensitive than the unbalanced line inputs on recorders, and you need a hot preamp to use the XLRs line. I am confused about the OP getting a Supermod for stealth concert taping. That's a mighty sensitive nature recording modification. Maybe he's doing classical or chamber music?
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi

Thanks for Your suggestions - so I guess the Church pre is essential? I was wondering how is the phantom power  distributed via the small jack on Church mics ;- ) Now I know it...
I will not record a classical music. The idea is to record people's conversations while they are shopping and put those togehter with music as samples. I will also use another mic - the AKG c535 EB for recording sound fx and some music, or industial noises - thats why I chose the supermod - I thought its the most flexible. So basically I need the Church mic's for recording dialogues- stealth ;-)

So do You think that the adapter will suffice? Or I should spring for this Church pre? And do I need both omni and cards capsules? I was initially thinking only about the cards.

Thanks for help!!!

Marty

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Hi guys

Im a newb here so please forgive me any obvious questions.
I just bought a PMD 661 (supermod) for stealth recordings. Now - I wanted to by Church's mics for it. There is a good deal for his mic's and a pre - but I am wondering - is there a noticeable difference between PMD's pres and Church Audio Pre? Should I go for it or just buy the mic's?

Cheers
Marty

If you're just planning on running Church mics, you should probably just get a R-09HR (or similar) recorder since the size difference between it and a 661 is rather significant, which ought to be important with stealthing.  Otherwise, maybe you should try some more expensive mics that use phantom, might I suggest Schoeps CCM4... that would make a nice stealth rig.  :P

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
Thanks for Your suggestions - so I guess the Church pre is essential? I was wondering how is the phantom power  distributed via the small jack on Church mics ;- ) Now I know it...
I will not record a classical music. The idea is to record people's conversations while they are shopping and put those togehter with music as samples. I will also use another mic - the AKG c535 EB for recording sound fx and some music, or industial noises - thats why I chose the supermod - I thought its the most flexible. So basically I need the Church mic's for recording dialogues- stealth ;-)

So do You think that the adapter will suffice? Or I should spring for this Church pre? And do I need both omni and cards capsules? I was initially thinking only about the cards.

Thanks for help!!!

Marty

Hmm.  Stealthing conversations, that's somewhat odd but hey, whatever rocks your boat.  :P

For stealthing speech near you in a noisy mall environment, you might want cards but will need to keep your head directed at your 'target' to get the best results.  Omnis might be useful since you won't have to be so strict with the direction your mics are pointed, but might pick up a lot of ambient noise.  The pre would be useful for your situation since it gives you nice, clean gain (e.g. less noise/hiss), so I would spring for the pre/omni/cards package and try it out.  Good luck!

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
I know its odd, but I specialize in odd ;-)  You would be surprised what kind of weird things people are saying while shopping....
But You are right about the omnis - people might get a bit pissed off,  if they notice me staring at them to get a best pickup with cards ; -) So the omnis might be a key here. Oh - one more thing - I was thinking about those "croakie" mics -is that a good idea? Like mounting it to my glasses?

Peace
M

P.S As for a smaller recording device - Marantz is optimal since I also want to record some high quality music and foley fx with akg c535 eb
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:09:15 PM by vibralux »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
I think the phantom power adapter (to convert the phantom power to plug-in power) is a better option than the separate pre-amp.  Less boxes to deal with, and the pre-amp in the PMD-661 is just fine, you shouldn't have any problem getting clean gain from the internal pre-amp.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
I think the phantom power adapter (to convert the phantom power to plug-in power) is a better option than the separate pre-amp. 

Agree. Remember that Chris Church offers his mics with custom mini-XLR connectors too. That way, you can use either Naiant PFA-M, or third-party phantom adapters like Samson or AT. Even better than PIP...

And when it comes to the size of your gear: don't bother comparing with R-09HR. For your usage, you don't have to pass thru a pat-down, so whatever you can carry in a waist-pack or under a jacket will work just fine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:41:36 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
Get a Church Battery Box (runs on 9v battery), and an 1/8inch > XLR (male) cable.  Run Mics > BB > Deck with NO phantom power.  I repeat... NO phantom power.  Your mics would get power from the BB.  IMO, this would be easiest, smallest, cheapest and you could utilize the SuperMOD.  And it should sound good too!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:07:57 PM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:25:43 AM »
That is a great idea – I'll check it out. The PMD 661 finallly arrived and I tried it with Beta 87A, Brauner AE and Shure KSM 44. The preamps are indeed quite good. While coupled with the Brauner, I would overload almost any source halfway the gain ;-).  So now I am definitely positive that I do not need an extra pre.

Thanks for help people!
Marty

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
Marty,

make sure whatever pre you get has a balanced output.  The 661 will not take an unbalanced input from a pre.  I attempted to run my oade m118 into the 661, and it had a distorted noise on the recording.  i bought the 661 as a back-up deck and a bit bucket.  i can run it through the 1/8 inch input, but not the xlr's.

Richard

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
Get the Naiant PFA. I am very happy with mine. It will allow you to run the Church mics directly into the 661.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
Croakies work fine for me. No one notices them on my glasses. Mine has black cloth on them. As long as my hair doesn't turn grey, I'll be OK. I'm 51, so this may not be a long term solution for me unless I start dyeing my hair.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.308 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com