Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One thing I immediately notice with the Edirol R4 and a question  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
One thing I immediately notice with the Edirol R4 and a question
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »
Way way way better volume on the headphone jack.  Big improvement.  I think so anyway.  I've seen Nicks Picks say it the same.  No way I say.

Also on the R4 interface it shows you all 4 channels with levels and a clip indicator.  What do the other level meters represent on the lower right hand corner?  I think they say line out levels?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: One thing I immediately notice with the Edirol R4 and a question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »
Also on the R4 interface it shows you all 4 channels with levels and a clip indicator.  What do the other level meters represent on the lower right hand corner?

They're an average of the 4 meters, good for if you were running a 4 channel BWF, otherwise useless.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:04:47 AM »
Way way way better volume on the headphone jack.  Big improvement.  I think so anyway.  I've seen Nicks Picks say it the same.  No way I say.

Also on the R4 interface it shows you all 4 channels with levels and a clip indicator.  What do the other level meters represent on the lower right hand corner?  I think they say line out levels?

The headphone volume is much stronger on the r4 than the ua-5. Quieter too.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 03:11:45 AM »
Also on the R4 interface it shows you all 4 channels with levels and a clip indicator.  What do the other level meters represent on the lower right hand corner?

They're an average of the 4 meters, good for if you were running a 4 channel BWF, otherwise useless.

Ok because it was weird all four levels were good..no clipping at all but those two on the right were clipping.  It sounded good so I didn't worry about it.  Weird though.  I can't find a thing in the manual at all about them.

Also is there a way to turn down the input on say line in channels 3 and 4?  My mics were good...about 11 0clock but the board patch was turned all the way down and the levels were a little higher than I liked but nothing could be turned down on the crappy board.  I tried.  Maybe a pad is what I'm thinking of?

Offline edub ark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Fries with that?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
Those two lower-right level displays are for your output levels, i.e., the gain level seen at your digi/coax out, and rca outs.
You may turn those two lower right levels down by accessing the display button, twice. Then you can select wichever channel is clipping, utilize cursor/monitor select. Then use the scrub/value dial and lower the value. This only affects the output gain, not what is seen at the input to the R4.
FYI factory settings are for a gain value of 100/110 default.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »
This brings up a newb question for me actually. Say you were recording 4-channel for a known 50-50 matrix in post. Should you record both stereo pairs at their optimal levels (close to clipping without going over), then when mixing turn them down so when added together they don't clip? Or is it better to leave headroom during aquisition on both stereo pairs so when you mix in post they add together and don't clip. My guess is for noise floor reasons, you'd always want to do the former, but honestly I'm not sure, curious though.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:38:49 PM »
This brings up a newb question for me actually. Say you were recording 4-channel for a known 50-50 matrix in post. Should you record both stereo pairs at their optimal levels (close to clipping without going over), then when mixing turn them down so when added together they don't clip? Or is it better to leave headroom during aquisition on both stereo pairs so when you mix in post they add together and don't clip. My guess is for noise floor reasons, you'd always want to do the former, but honestly I'm not sure, curious though.

If you are recording in 24-bit, whether you are matrixing or not, I would highly recommend leaving more headroom, there simply is no need to crank the gain past -12 dB, the extra dynamic range you get is theoretically not as much as you think it is, somebody put some numbers on this board explaining why, but I forget them and where they are. If you are recording in 16-bit, it is up to you and your preamp whether the extra noise introduced is worth it to get your peaks up to -3 / -5 dB.

When you know that you will be mixing two different stereo signals in the post, I would say that there is no need to push the gain (and risk clipping and extra noise) when you know that you would have to attenuate in the post just so you can mix the two signals later. However, I will try to get optimal levels (based on my comment in my first paragraph) on the aud feed if it is onstage (which it usually is for me), just so I can capture the wonderful onstage dynamics as purely as possible, and I'll leave the sbd feed relatively safe and low.  If it's a PA, I still try to get somewhat optimal levels but I'm much more reluctant to push them as high as an onstage recording.

These are just my experiences/preferences, I hope someone who has a lot more experience and knowledge will offer their point of view.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »
Can the signals sum to a higher peak than either has individually?

example

track A peak = -3db

track B peak = -2db

I would assume the sum (A+B) peak would be -2db?

Can it sum higher?

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 11:06:34 PM »
I cannot explain the numbers, all I know is that when I would mix down two files, neither of which were clipping (but close to 0 dB), the end result was a file that is clipping.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:55:08 AM »
i still think it sucks.
If I cant hear it on my headphones durring a show, then I dont like it.

Ety's...need not apply.  those make any headphone amp sound fine.  try driving a pair of Senns w/it.
yuk!
sucks comparred to the FR2.  now THAT was a headphone amp.  the DAP1 also was way better, imo.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
Can the signals sum to a higher peak than either has individually?

example

track A peak = -3db

track B peak = -2db

I would assume the sum (A+B) peak would be -2db?

Can it sum higher?

Yes it can sum higher. After all 1+1 sure is 2.

If you add two identical signals the sum is +6dB up.
I would expect adding -3 + -2 to end up at around 0 to +1dB.

Gunnar

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 03:41:25 PM »
Yes, the sum will actually be higher. There's some math that will let you figure out exactly how much. Decibels (dB) are a ratio and can be used to represent many things from power to voltage to acoustic sound pressure level. The relevant equations are 10 log E2/E1 and 20 log P2/P1. experiment with sine waves in a DAW and see what happens.

http://www.hottconsultants.com/techtips/decibel.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:43:19 PM by Teddy »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »

If you are recording in 24-bit, whether you are matrixing or not, I would highly recommend leaving more headroom, there simply is no need to crank the gain past -12 dB, the extra dynamic range you get is theoretically not as much as you think it is, somebody put some numbers on this board explaining why, but I forget them and where they are. If you are recording in 16-bit, it is up to you and your preamp whether the extra noise introduced is worth it to get your peaks up to -3 / -5 dB.

When you know that you will be mixing two different stereo signals in the post, I would say that there is no need to push the gain (and risk clipping and extra noise) when you know that you would have to attenuate in the post just so you can mix the two signals later. However, I will try to get optimal levels (based on my comment in my first paragraph) on the aud feed if it is onstage (which it usually is for me), just so I can capture the wonderful onstage dynamics as purely as possible, and I'll leave the sbd feed relatively safe and low.  If it's a PA, I still try to get somewhat optimal levels but I'm much more reluctant to push them as high as an onstage recording.

These are just my experiences/preferences, I hope someone who has a lot more experience and knowledge will offer their point of view.

Isn't there a balance here though? I mean, yeah, if you are maxing out the gain on your preamp, most likely you are introducing a bunch of noise, so of course you wouldn't want to do that. But on the other hand, if you apply way too little gain, the recorded music's volume will be down closer to the noise floor, so when you normalize in post, you'll be bringing up both the music and the noise floor together. So, it seems to me, there is a sweet spot.

My take on this is that you should apply gain as far up until the point of clipping (but obviously NOT clipping) as you can as long as you aren't maxing out your preamp to the point it starts getting noisy. For concerts, this is usually pretty easy to do without going too far on the gain. This results in the recorded music being as far above the noise floor as possible in your recording. Then, if you are mixing two sources, you'll have to reduce the levels such that the sum of the two sources don't add up to a clip. But even though you have to reduce the volume during the mixdown, at least you are preserving the spread between the recorded music and the noise floor. Again, only if you don't have to crank the gain past your pre's ability to add lots of noise.

Doesn't that make sense? Or am I missing something here?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »

Isn't there a balance here though? I mean, yeah, if you are maxing out the gain on your preamp, most likely you are introducing a bunch of noise, so of course you wouldn't want to do that. But on the other hand, if you apply way too little gain, the recorded music's volume will be down closer to the noise floor, so when you normalize in post, you'll be bringing up both the music and the noise floor together. So, it seems to me, there is a sweet spot.

My take on this is that you should apply gain as far up until the point of clipping (but obviously NOT clipping) as you can as long as you aren't maxing out your preamp to the point it starts getting noisy. For concerts, this is usually pretty easy to do without going too far on the gain. This results in the recorded music being as far above the noise floor as possible in your recording. Then, if you are mixing two sources, you'll have to reduce the levels such that the sum of the two sources don't add up to a clip. But even though you have to reduce the volume during the mixdown, at least you are preserving the spread between the recorded music and the noise floor. Again, only if you don't have to crank the gain past your pre's ability to add lots of noise.

Doesn't that make sense? Or am I missing something here?

I agree with this, but if you can get the right mix w/o having to make adjustments in post, you are in the best case scenarion (good use of the output meter defaulted to -0-).  Good luck with that though!  You definately don't want to spend a lot of time riding levels on a multi... it just isn't worth it.  Set it and forget it unless you are looking at a clip.  With my r4 I find myself leaving a fair amount of headroom.  I try to get it to dance around the -9db mark (at show start) when doing a 4 track recording, but I try to keep it hot when doing 2 chan.  With a 2 chan recording I don't mind riding the levels a little bit, although, like the ua5, when you get past 12 o'clock, the pots are super sensitive, so be careful with the movement.
   And yes, as other's have stated, mixing 2 similar sources together will increase output level.  That is only perfectly true with a full range signal like white noise, or an exact duplicate signal like a test tone.  Music is neither.  If you have one source (i.e. sbd) that is all mids (vox) and another source (i.e. stage mics) that has all the low-end and highs (percussion and bass) this wont be true.  If you take a recording and run a highpass filter on it and save, then do the same with a low-pass at the same frequency, then mix them together, you will have almost what you started with except where the filter roll-off frequencies overlap... much more to it than 50/50 or 6 db or any other calculation.  The only consistants are that the sum equals the whole, and it is different every time.  That is why we have ears on our heads, and meters in the software!

Matt
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:58:20 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
I try to avoid seeing anything hotter than -10dBFS, period.....  0dBFS in 16 bit is the equivalent of -40dBFS in 24bit, so noise isnt an issue..I dont agree with riding the levels to -0,,..theres just no excuse for having any overs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com