Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp for AT4051a  (Read 2865 times)

Offline BrotherRah

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Preamp for AT4051a
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
Suggestions appreciated for a pre that will impart a bit of warmth without adding too much color to the sound.I think I'd like to use these mics with a yet to be purchased m10.

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
Re: Preamp for AT4051a
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
A Littlebox with switchable output transformers would do the trick nicely. I'm loving mine, it's fairly transparent without the transformers engaged, and really warm with them engaged.

Offline BrotherRah

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
ehren,do you have anything on lma I could check out?Are you running this w/pelusos or what?Thanks
A Littlebox with switchable output transformers would do the trick nicely. I'm loving mine, it's fairly transparent without the transformers engaged, and really warm with them engaged.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
Any good mics should not need a preamp to change the EQ.

Similarly, any good preamp should have much less distortion than the mics.

I would just pick a decent preamp, V2/V3 or FP whatever and use that.  Or the Littlebox (plain, without transformers).  If you don't want to use a preamp, just use a PS2 to provide phantom power and run the mics directly into an Edirol or Sony flash recorder.

You could go with a (stock) all-in-one unit too, but the above may sound a bit better.

Really, I woul sd go with whateveruits your style and budget.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
Any good mics should not need a preamp to change the EQ.

Similarly, any good preamp should have much less distortion than the mics.

I would just pick a decent preamp, V2/V3 or FP whatever and use that.  Or the Littlebox (plain, without transformers).  If you don't want to use a preamp, just use a PS2 to provide phantom power and run the mics directly into an Edirol or Sony flash recorder.

You could go with a (stock) all-in-one unit too, but the above may sound a bit better.

Really, I woul sd go with whateveruits your style and budget.

Richard

Everyone's ears are different. I happen to enjoy adding warmth to recordings, especially when I know I'm going to be in front of a strident digital PA. Why would tell someone to not have the option? I agree with the OP that those mics sound good with a pre that has some warmth. The Littlebox offers the transformers as a switchable option so that you have the choice.

To the OP: I am running them with the Peluso's and also some CA-14s. I don't have anything on the LMA, sorry.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »
agreed that the AT's could use a little warmth. My 4041's are pretty bright but I think they sound great running through my stock r-44.. like ehren said everyones ears are different.. honestly if there are other tapers around ya see if they would be willing to run your mics through their gear or let ya borrow their gear for an evening to hear it for yourself.

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com