Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP--> preamp for sony mz-rh1?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline mitty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HELP--> preamp for sony mz-rh1?
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »
hey,

so here it is:

I have just ordered a Sony MZ-RH1 minidisc recorder. I am planning on traveling on and off for the next few years and enjoy field recording.
The reason for choosing the HI-Minidisc format is simply because it is light, small and ultra ultra portable, the preamps on the RH1 are reputably good too.

I want to get a good, clean preamp which could front-end the minidisc player, it must be ultra portable( simular size to RH1), stereo/dual mono, (mini)TRS rather than XLR, Low self noise.

The inputs will be Contact microphones and small capsule binaural microphones.

Shortlisted = Naiant TinyBox and Church ST-9100.

Any ideas warmly welcomed !!

cheers

tim

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: HELP--> preamp for sony mz-rh1?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:58:25 AM »
Naiant TinyBox and Church ST-9100.

I've never heard the TinyBox....  but everyone seems to really dig the Naiant boxes.  I use a 9100 with Church mics and am usually real happy with the results.  Think about a 9v Battery Box too...  makes the Hi-MD rig even smaller.  The 9100 provides up to 20db of gain in it's standard form...  but it could possibly be customized to fit your needs too.  Not sure what the TinyBox offers for gain...  but those are highly customizable as well.  Can't go wrong with either IMO. 
Long live Hi-MD!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HELP--> preamp for sony mz-rh1?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »

The 9100 provides up to 20db of gain in it's standard form...  but it could possibly be customized to fit your needs too.  Not sure what the TinyBox offers for gain...  but those are highly customizable as well.  Can't go wrong with either IMO. 

The ST-9100 can be ordered with Mini-XLR's and is a great pre if 20 dB is enough gain for your purposes. It probably would be because the MZ-RH1 has great preamps as well.

People who have the tinybox love it (I love my littlebox). It can be ordered with 3 selectable gain settings from 0 dB to 38 dB (your choice of the 3 settings). I think it is available only with a built in rechargeable battery that lasts a long time (maybe 15 hours or so?). You need to order a dongle with it to accept the input from mini-XLR mics.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com