Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audient Mico preamp question  (Read 7342 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Audient Mico preamp question
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
I want to pick up a Mico to run with my D50!  I wanted to find out if this preamp has the same issue (signal flag) the V3 and UA-5 had passing a 24 bit signal to the D50?  If anyone has used this pre with a D50 and could fill in the blanks it would be helpful.  Thanks     Sorry I originally post this in the wrong forum so I reposted here.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:44:44 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Audient Mico preamp question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
I use mine to feed a 24 bit to a mt and analog out. I've never used a d50.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
The MT had a firmware upgrade to fix the problem!  I am not expecting a firmware upgrade from sony

I use mine to feed a 24 bit to a mt and analog out. I've never used a d50.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »
Might just stick with a littlebox since this pre hasn't had that much field testing!  ???

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Mico, but in regards to...

I wanted to find out if this preamp has the same issue (signal flag) the V3 and UA-5 had passing a 24 bit signal to the D50?

Grace Design offers a free firmware upgrade to the V3 (which requires opening up the unit and replacing a single chip).  The firmware upgrade does not change the sound of the unit at all, but I believe it does take care of the problem you mention above.
http://www.gracedesign.com/support/V3/V3_firmware.htm
I just thought I'd mention this as something to consider, if that was the only reason why you were staying away from a V3.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
Jason,
           I know Grace fixed this issue with the V3!  I was looking at the Audient, because new it is ALOT cheaper than a used V3.  I am still trying to decide if I want to be the Guinea pig with the Audient or just grab a littlebox which has a proven track record.   Thanks for your help

I don't have any experience with the Mico, but in regards to...

I wanted to find out if this preamp has the same issue (signal flag) the V3 and UA-5 had passing a 24 bit signal to the D50?

Grace Design offers a free firmware upgrade to the V3 (which requires opening up the unit and replacing a single chip).  The firmware upgrade does not change the sound of the unit at all, but I believe it does take care of the problem you mention above.
http://www.gracedesign.com/support/V3/V3_firmware.htm
I just thought I'd mention this as something to consider, if that was the only reason why you were staying away from a V3.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:21:13 PM by jmbell »

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
I have to admit I have my eye on this box as well.  I need to digi output for my 680.  Hmmm....well I'll just keep looking for now anyway. 

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
contact Dirk who is TNJAZZ on this board. He is a retailer for them. Here is his website:  http://bigpurpledog.com/BPDP/sales.html

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »
contact Dirk who is TNJAZZ on this board. He is a retailer for them. Here is his website:  http://bigpurpledog.com/BPDP/sales.html

Someone just buy one already.  Say its great and then sell it claiming that you are changing things up a bit.  Then someone else will buy it......hopefully.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
I have owned one for the last year.  It is an AWESOME preamp.  I have used it with dsd and it sounded amazing.   I use the pre/ad with my microtracker and love the sound.  I haven't used it with my 680 digi in, however have used it as a preamp with wonderful results.  I sold my V3 for this preamp and won't look back.  The audient preamps are some of the best preamps going these days.  Caveat, it runs on 12volt, I use a laptop battery that is the same footprint that will run it forever.  It won't be the lightest piece of gear in the bag, but those running the other high end gear should check it out.  I don't know how to post files, however I have given Dirk several recordings so he could check out the sound, perhaps I could talk him into posting a few clips.

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36:03 AM »
tcf, you mention weight, how does it compare to a V3's weight?  And do you know if it HAS to have 12 volt or deos it have a range of voltage like an MP-2 or mixpre does?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »
It ranges starting at 10V so you can't use DVD batteries.  A tekkeon would work.

tcf, you mention weight, how does it compare to a V3's weight?  And do you know if it HAS to have 12 volt or deos it have a range of voltage like an MP-2 or mixpre does?

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
I have owned one for the last year.  It is an AWESOME preamp.  I have used it with dsd and it sounded amazing.   I use the pre/ad with my microtracker and love the sound.  I haven't used it with my 680 digi in, however have used it as a preamp with wonderful results.  I sold my V3 for this preamp and won't look back.  The audient preamps are some of the best preamps going these days.  Caveat, it runs on 12volt, I use a laptop battery that is the same footprint that will run it forever.  It won't be the lightest piece of gear in the bag, but those running the other high end gear should check it out.  I don't know how to post files, however I have given Dirk several recordings so he could check out the sound, perhaps I could talk him into posting a few clips.

Any way you can take some pics of this next to some other gear so I can get a better handle on its size? Also some pics of the rear since the website doesn't have any? Nevermind...I suck at the internet. Although it might still be nice to see a size comparison.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=112363.0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:41:06 AM by ashevillain »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »
Cliff, If you google image the Audient you can find pictures of the back.  There is an old and new version the new version has optical and coax SPDIF outs on the back. 

Any way you can take some pics of this next to some other gear so I can get a better handle on its size? Also some pics of the rear since the website doesn't have any?

kirk97132

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
It ranges starting at 10V so you can't use DVD batteries.  A tekkeon would work.

OK that was the real question.  thanks. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com