Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for alternative to 3.5mm RTS connectors  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Joshua_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Looking for alternative to 3.5mm RTS connectors
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
I have a lavalier mic, Sanken COS-11x, that comes with power adapter which plugs into an XLR input with phantom power. A good solution for using the lav into a field recorder. However, I want to use the same mic with Sennheiser wireless transmitter. So, I cut the mic's cable near the XLR power adapter and soldered male-female 3.5mm (1/8"?) RTS connectors. However, these connectors are far from being reliable. At times, either there is no connection (and hence, no sound), or terrible noise when the connectors are turned, one against the other, in order to make contact between the male and female.

So, I'm looking for alternative for on-cable connectors.
Either good and reliable 3.5mm RTS connectors (if there are such), or connectors of different type. Reliability and good contacts are paramount. Size matters, the smaller the better, and cost also matters, but is secondary consideration, maybe up to $10 per single connector (I'll need 3 altogether).

What are your recommendations?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Looking for alternative to 3.5mm RTS connectors
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »
That connection is very prone to dirt build up causing problems. The quick fix is to clean your mini-jack/mini-plug connections with alcohol or an electrical contact cleaner.

For a better connection which is less prone to problems but is about the same size and locks positively with each other, I prefer mini-xlr.  They click-lock together like full sized XLRs, released by a button push, and are far less prone to intermittency than mini-plug/mini-jack connections.  They are available in standard 3-pin (the most common) up to I think 8-pin versions.  I've converted all my inline mini-jack connections to mini-xlr except those that need to interface with minijack input/outputs on the equipment.  No "terrible noises" since doing so.

Here's the general nomenclature for what you want-
TA3F = female 3 pin mini-XLR
TA3M = male 3 pin mini-XLR

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Joshua_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Looking for alternative to 3.5mm RTS connectors
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com