Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: shorten  (Read 2913 times)

Offline andy_landy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
shorten
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
i have just dug out a load of old recordings, none of which were made by me, and the majority of which are in SHN format. which is, basically, obsolete. i am currently converting those for the purpose of actually listening to them, but i wanted to ask the ts hivemind what best to do with the filesets... keep the old SHN files? dump the SHN and recode as FLAC? and if so what to do with the folder name? rename "band2001-01-01.at853.shnf" as "band2001-01-01.at853.flac16"?

have a feeling there may be one or two APE files in the archives somewhere too, but i'll deal with those as and when i get to them :)

edit to add: and what about the .txt file, if i recode to FLAC should i edit the .txt file to reflect that? (SHN>WAV>FLAC, conversion done by andy_landy). in an ideal world i would just keep the original fileset, but it appears fewer then ever players support shn these days :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:39:42 PM by andy_landy »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: shorten
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
I would leave them alone as shn but if you wanted to convert them I would do as you posted
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Personally, I convert my SHNs to FLAC, but keep the SHNs.  When I convert to FLAC, I take the opportunity to FIX any issues (SBEs, Header Errors etc.) with SHNTOOLs.  I also keep a copy of the original Text File, adding the original SHN MD5 to the text.  I also make a new Text File, with the SHN>FLAC noted.  I also put the original SHN MD5 in this new Text File along with the new FLAC FFP.  I also make note of any changes (FIXed SBEs, etc).  I also Tag the FLACs.

You can see an example here:  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=576416

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »
I would add that, if done properly, the FLAC files produced in a SHN>FLAC process are absolutely "bit perfect", ie they are exactly the same.  ST5 and other checksum verifications confirm this.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »
I just convert them to flac and delete shorten files, I don't need them anymore and no difference between them.
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
I just convert them to flac and delete shorten files, I don't need them anymore and no difference between them.
anything I download now I do this with. My old stuff burnt to cd I just keep; but convert to flac as needed.
I never set up .shn playback on this computer so I can't even listen to them anyway.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com