Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right channel suddenly drops mid-recording  (Read 5562 times)

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Right channel suddenly drops mid-recording
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »

Take a headphone out of your stereo and record that for a while to isolate the M10 or not. If the problem is with the M10 and not the rest of the setup you will experience the same problem and will have completely eliminated the nBox/cables/mics from the equation....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
Thanks guys for the answers.
I have tried to replicate the issue at home today.
I have placed my mics in front of my stereo while playing some heavy rock music with a lot of bass.
I can't get the levels really high because of my neighbors so I set the levels on the M10 to 10.

At first I used the exact same setup as I had in the last two concerts.
After some time, the issue happened again, and the levels on the right channel dropped.
At that point, while the M10 is recording, I moved the stereo connector from the line-in to the mic-in input and back and the levels were fine again.

This statement adds the interconnect as a potential point of failure. Do you have another interconnect to test with?

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »
Thanks again guys for your suggestions.
My voltmeter has  those pins at the end if the probes so I think I will be able to check the batteries voltage while under load.
I did try to connect the M10 directly to my computer headphone out connection and it worked normally but it was just a quick test.
I will try to leave it connected for a longer period to see if the problem is caused by the M10.
I also suspected that the interconnect may be at fault. When I record, I place the M10 on top of the nbox in a small side bag.
The M10 and the nbox are placed on their side inside the bag and the interconnect, which is 1 foot long, makes a loop inside the bag and part of it is located on the bottom of the bag under the M10 and the nbox.
During the show I take the M10 and the nbox in and out of the bag a for a few times to check the levels and that may have caused some connection issues in the cable.
It is a very sturdy cable so I didn't expect it to be the cause if the problem.
I don't have another interconnect cable but I will get a simple one just to check. I will first try to eliminate the M10 and the batteries.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
I think its batteries too.  I stick to Duracell Pro-cells these days.  As Dr. Nick for his thoughts.

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
So today I connected my M10 directly to my computer using a stereo 3.5 to stereo 3.5 cable.
I recorded for approximately 5 hours and didn't notice any drops on the right channel.
Since that eliminated the M10 line-in input, I went back and connected the original rig to try and replicate the problem.
I have tried to recreate the problem for a few hours but without luck.
The only differences I have made to the rig since it failed mid-concert was to change between the capsules and then going back to the original setup and I also changed the order of the 9v batteries in the nbox.
I thought that this may mean that I had some connection issue and one of the batteries in the nbox wasn't connected properly.
On the other hand, this doesn't really fit with the fact that when the issue occurred, moving the interconnect cable from the line-in input to the mic-in and then back to the line-in solved the problem.
I wrote Nick and he also suggested that this sounds like an interconnect problem.
I will try to cause the failure again, but in case I am unable to replicate it, I guess I will have to wait until the next concert and see how it behaves in a concert environment (in terms of high sound levels and handling of the rig during a concert).

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
So today I connected my M10 directly to my computer using a stereo 3.5 to stereo 3.5 cable.
I recorded for approximately 5 hours and didn't notice any drops on the right channel.
Since that eliminated the M10 line-in input, I went back and connected the original rig to try and replicate the problem.
I have tried to recreate the problem for a few hours but without luck.
The only differences I have made to the rig since it failed mid-concert was to change between the capsules and then going back to the original setup and I also changed the order of the 9v batteries in the nbox.
I thought that this may mean that I had some connection issue and one of the batteries in the nbox wasn't connected properly.
On the other hand, this doesn't really fit with the fact that when the issue occurred, moving the interconnect cable from the line-in input to the mic-in and then back to the line-in solved the problem.
I wrote Nick and he also suggested that this sounds like an interconnect problem.
I will try to cause the failure again, but in case I am unable to replicate it, I guess I will have to wait until the next concert and see how it behaves in a concert environment (in terms of high sound levels and handling of the rig during a concert).

Have you tried moving the interconnect or picking the m10 up and moving it around while trying to recreate the issue?

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 11:48:31 PM »
Yes, I have done both.
When I connected the m10 directly to my computer I trued to twist and turn it while recording.
When I connected the entire rig, I left the mics in place and tried to handle the m10 along with the nbox the same way that I always do during a show (taking them in and out of the side bag that I put them in while recording).
I will try to replicate it again until I cause it to fail and hopefully I can find out where the problem lies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com