Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 14464 times)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Headphones
« on: October 09, 2002, 10:16:31 PM »
So what do you guys wear to monitor your tapes when on location? I go between the Sennheiser HD25's and the tried and true MDR7506's.... Just curious...

Bri

Tim

Re:Headphones
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 10:19:32 PM »
7506's all the way...

I need to get some Gratto's and an amp for at home...

Tim

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 02:50:51 PM »
deck levels.  

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2002, 04:43:09 PM »
I have the Sony's and I find them to be quite good on location, however I dislike using headphones to monitor.  I end up listening to more of the show on my headphones than without them.  I just monitor using levels now :-)

Jonny

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2002, 04:50:34 PM »
yeah, I usually put on the 7506's, unplugged to keep the SPL's down!

;)
Bri

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 05:31:20 PM »
Kinda off topic, but I just found out you can record using headphones.
Kinda sounds outrageous but true.  I'm sure all you already knew that since you understand the principles of head/micrphones so well, but just thought I would throw in my $0.02.  So if you ever get ready to spuck and you break your mics, bring h/ps just in case ;)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 05:48:38 PM »
yes, they will work as dynamic mics, but I would only use it as a FAR FAR last resort! ;)

Bri

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 05:52:36 PM »
I like the Etymotic ER-6s a lot.  Great for monitoring b/c they attenuate the room 15-20dB, so I don't have to blast my ears off to hear how things sound.  Although mostly I just monitor deck levels, now.  Pack small, nice sound!

And dual purpose - I use 'em for listening to tunes on my motorbike, too.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 07:31:24 PM »
So what are the best headphones for recording a concert? ;) ;) Can I get headphones with interchangeable speakers.  Who's got my fatty shotgun headphones. ;D ;D
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 09:59:32 PM »
hehe.  shotgun headphones.

anyway, i have a question for you guys.  

i havta  agree with Ryan and Jonny on this one.  

i never did see the reason for carrying around headphones and monitoring at a gig.  my question is this:

even if you detected that the sound wasn't quite what you would really like, what can you actually change in the middle of a recording?  

most people only have one set of mics/ pre/ ad/ deck etc.  not likely you can physically move, or you'd be in a better position anyway.  i don't think you could possibly hear well enuf over headphones in a concert setting to determine if a different stereo pattern would be beneficial?  check to see if there is wind on your tapes?  if it's windy, and you're worried, you already have your best screens on, so what more can you do?  

is it just plain ol' curiousity?  i know i am curious as hell about the headphones thing and have never had the occasion to ask.  i see guys spending half their time at the show, (not saying anyone here does this) listening to the tape, and it always makes me wonder.  plenty of time to listen to the tape later.  only one time you ever get to experience that show 'LIVE'!  

not trying to offend anyone at all, just really curious as to what's going on here.  maybe someone can show me what i'm missing.  as it stands now, i just don't see the benefit to carrying the bulky phones around.  i carry enuf stuff already.         :-[

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 10:07:45 PM »
I bring closed diaphram (7506 or HD25) phones to cut down sound level in loud rooms... better than sticking earplugs in ;)

Bri

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 08:40:46 AM »
i never did see the reason for carrying around headphones and monitoring at a gig.
<snip>
even if you detected that the sound wasn't quite what you would really like, what can you actually change in the middle of a recording?  
I agree - not much I can do to change things once I'm rolling, which is why I only use them for a quick listen between sets to see if I should try a different mic config for the second set.
not trying to offend anyone at all, just really curious as to what's going on here.  maybe someone can show me what i'm missing.  as it stands now, i just don't see the benefit to carrying the bulky phones around.  i carry enuf stuff already.         :-[
I know what you mean about carrying enough stuff already - that's one reason I got my ER-6s.  I've finally trimmed down about as small as I can go right now - and it still seems like a lot of stuff!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2003, 11:27:33 AM »
What you can use the headphones for during a show is monitor the channel balance.  The meters on the D8 are not exactly the most accurate in the world and those on the MiniMe (for example) are not the most usable.  The headphones allow you to make fine adjustments to get the balance "just exactly perfect."
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 02:54:11 PM »
i have been using my custom shure e-5 molds (i am a live sound engineer), and they are the shit!  

for people on a budget, shure just came out with a new IEM, the e2.  i had a chance to use these during a gig last night, and i have to say i was very impressed with these $75 pieces!!!  the isolation with the included ear pieces was very good, and the fidelity was better than the more expensive E1's (in my opinion...)

steve
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2003, 02:35:17 AM »
A quick question... What is the difference between the Sony 7506's and the 7509's, disregarding all printed information?? I can have a pair of 7506's or 7509's in a trade for a case of beer..... Anyway, I use Senn HD 250's for monitoring at shows right now. I'm partially deaf in my right ear and using the headphones helps me get a solid level if I'm unsure. Also, as mentioned in an earlier post, the D8 levels are sometimes inaccurate. The D8 has no headphone volume adjust level. Will these Sony's help out where the Senn's sound flat at times?? I'm happy with the Senn's right now, but was wondering if the Sony's would make that much of a difference for me in monitoring levels at shows?? I'm open to any and all suggestions. It sounds like many are against checking levels through headphones, but in my case it does make a difference. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks and take care.....Jason
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 01:27:28 PM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com