Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: power conditioner  (Read 3990 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
power conditioner
« on: February 19, 2004, 09:46:09 PM »
worth it for playback gear?  anyone use one?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »
paging Moke and Sideshow...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »
I use an adcom ACE-515... for the price it was definately worth it for me (especially since the power goes out or browns out here once or twice a week)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 07:05:58 AM »
i mean can you actually *hear* a difference?

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 07:16:36 AM »
I have been doing some shopping/research on surge protection/line conditioners and I have found the Panamax M5300 and M5100 to be the best so far.  You can find these for $350 and $500.  Antoher option which I heard was really nice was the Cinepro at av123.com  and it is on sale from what I'm told.
SC

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 09:45:11 AM »
the cinepro is on sale at av123 for 300 bucks... pretty sweet deal if ya ask me

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 12:15:31 PM »
Amazingly enough, they do make an audible difference. I am currently using the Monster Signature AVS 2000 and the Panamax Max 5500 ACRegenerator. They maximize your components by making sure that the proper voltage and wattage needed are provided to each. Most of the time your components are sharing energy within the system, thus actually not running at maximum performance. These units are also great during power surges or power outtages. They will shut down the system if a spike is detected. Last summer during a thunderstorm, my stereo/tv system shut down a minute before the lights in the house flickered and the power went out...pretty cool ;D

Thanks....Jason

**Yes, you can hear a difference. If you really want to hear a change in your home sound, combine the power conditioners and some high end speaker cables.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 06:03:09 PM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
It's definately noticeable, even with a cheap one like mine.  Without the PC, when my system is on and I'm not sending a signal (like with a stopped DAT tape or something) I can hear audible white noise.  With the PC, there's a significant decrease in power line crap.  I'd assume that equates to a lower noise floor while the music's on as well, especially during quiet passages.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 01:34:52 AM »
bored....

AVS 2000 is designed to stabilize power line fluctuations and maintain constant voltage to your home theatre. Voltage sags (below the standard RMS value of 120 volts) are often caused by power-hungry appliances like clothes washers, air conditioners, and electric heaters, which draw more power (over 1500 watts) than your house was designed to support. This can have a direct effect on home theatre components, including amplifiers and two piece projection systems, which require a lot of power to operate at an optimum performance level. As a result, the picture can lose brightness and suddenly shrink in size. Amplifiers change gain structure which results in nasty distortions. They also won't deliver peak power, dropping from 100 watts to as low as 60 watts, for example. Your home theatre is very power hungry, too, often drawing twice as much power as a washer and air conditioner combined. This can cause even more voltage sags and ultimately, inferior home theatre performance. And, with the AVS 2000's sequential turn-on feature, your high power loads can operate at peak performance without causing unnecessary electrical stress that can often pop a circuit breaker or damage your components.

Panamax Max 5500....A Power monitoring system that acts as a gate to prevent unsafe voltages from damaging sensitive electronic equipment. It automatically detects a prolonged over or undervoltage condition and disconnects the power to equipment, then reconnects it when the power returns to a safe level. Two delayed turn-on outlets provide clean, filtered power without limiting the current available to the connected equipment.

*product fluffing not intentional...sorry*

Thanks....Jason

more info:
http://www.monstercable.com/
http://www.panamax.com/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 03:14:51 AM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 09:48:29 AM »
we all live downstream.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 05:54:03 PM »
I didn't want to spend the bucks on a regenerator, so I got a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200.  Its a transformer that converts +120V unbalanced AC into +/-60V AC balanced power.  It uses common mode rejection to eliminate line noise on the AC mains - works like a balanced mic cable.  It works great.  Alot of details emerge at lower volumes and the background is dead silent.  
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »
you can get the fuhrman's pretty cheap on ebay.  i dont find them THAT effective- matter of fact i kind of find them to be an overpriced powerstrip with lights.  the lights and the voltage meter are really the only reason i have mine- and i got it for like 40 bucks.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 08:45:24 PM »
PS Audio power plant ;D
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com