Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clamps  (Read 36642 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: clamps
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
probably the most versatile clamp made.  This thing works at any angle you need. 

If it supports your mics, that is.  IME, the ultraclamp wasn't robust enough to handle a single AKG C414B-XLS + shockmount.   :-\
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
I guess I should have said "If you have small diameter microphones." 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I use the Ultrapod I most all the time these days.  Picked up from Campmor eons ago for $8.  Takes up hardly any space in the bag.  It is probably only good for active set ups as that is what I use exclusively (I have no bodies for the Neumanns and Schoeps).

Th velcro strap is amazingly handy, I wrap it around mic stand poles and fixtures from the ceiling.  What I do to prevent it from squirreling around is: wrap small rubber bands around the leg that are not 'L shaped', when the legs are folded up the rubber bands give that friction that is necessary to hold the whole thing in place without it sliding down or around a pole.  In the pic, there are what appears to be rubber feet, mine does not have those and I suspect that they may act like the rubber bands I am using.

Man, rubber bands are the most amazing things.  I use them for EVERYTHING!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »
Just for grins I thought I'd show this one. It obviously has very limited possibilities but it was already in my tool box as part of a Central Tools brake rotor run-out measuring device. The threads at 1/4 X 20 and the flex section locks fairly solidly but I wouldn't want to hang much weight on it.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
another great thread about clamping. very cool extension arm. Check it out.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103678.0.html

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
So I'm a little drunk tonight and would like to share what I did for my windtech clamp.
The rubber/plastic piece on the end is junk.
So I happen to have been drinking nips of belvedere vodka which comes with a mini hard rubber
composite cork.
I bored out the middle with some cutters and an exacto. Just enough to get the threads from the clamp in.
Then held the cork with chanel locks and tightened the clamp into it.
Whalla........ A snug fit that doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all.

MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »

Yep, this is one clamp to have if you are looking for bang for your buck (and weight considerations).  I like the Manfrotto Superclamp alot....it is a piece of art but if you carry two (if you want all configuations you gotta have two) it is a back breaker.

If you can't see why you'd need two superclamps to do anything....look here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=29789.0

hey, shaggy!

what piece(s) (part #s..?) are you using to connect the two superclamps..?

thanks.

would like to share what I did for my windtech clamp.
The rubber/plastic piece on the end is junk.
So I happen to have been drinking nips of belvedere vodka which comes with a mini hard rubber
composite cork.
I bored out the middle with some cutters and an exacto. Just enough to get the threads from the clamp in.
Then held the cork with chanel locks and tightened the clamp into it.
Whalla........ A snug fit that doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all.

i have no idea what you are talking about (and i am trying to understand ;) )...

i also saw somewhere that you could use valve covers, but what kind, and where to get them - i have no idea (i need something though, 'cos i agree the rubber end for those windtech clamps sucks)...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
Pretty sure that's the Bogen extension arm.  I believe it's the Bogen 203 Extension Arm (for Mini Clamp, though it works in the SuperClamp).  They make a long and short one.  Don't recall whether the 6" extension arm (w/ double-ended spigot) is the long or short, though (probably short). 

Any old rubber Schrader valve cap will do.  I've gotten mine free at my local auto parts store.  They might cost $0.25/ea if you have to buy them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:10:50 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
Pretty sure that's the Bogen extension arm.  They make a long and short one.  Don't recall whether the 6" extension arm (w/ double-ended spigot) is the long or short, though (probably short).

Any old rubber Schrader valve cap will do.  I've gotten mine free at my local auto parts store.  They might cost $0.25/ea if you have to buy them.

you can get em free at any bike shop in the world as well...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »

Or parking lot  >:D
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »

Or parking lot  >:D
Or you can go with my nip bottle suggestion  >:D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
I didn't see this one mentioned. It's my personal favorite.

ATS/Pedco Ultraclamp

QFT

Great clamp, small money.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
ATS/Pedco Ultraclamp

I used a pair of these for a while, but found they did not attach very securely to mic stands - even when I tightened as much as physically possible, the weight of a single LD mic caused the clamp to split.  But, if it works for you, great!  Especially since the thing is so versatile.  Wish it had worked for me.

That's really suprising. I've had no problems holding up the LSD2 with mine.

Only problem I've had is the rubber pad coming off, but replacements can be had in sheets at home depot.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline macdaddy

Re: my complete clamping setup
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
Pretty sure that's the Bogen extension arm.  They make a long and short one.  Don't recall whether the 6" extension arm (w/ double-ended spigot) is the long or short, though (probably short).

i bought that 042 extension arm, and it wont really work to join two superclamps together because of the angle on the hex bolt end (it doesnt always line up the two superclamps at the right angles; the spigot end obviously rotates 360 degrees). i will, however, use it to get a bit of extension (out, horizontally) when i clamp to a vertical i-beam, which is what i bought it for - thx for the part number...

Alternative extension pole:

Bogen / Manfrotto 3109 Extension Pole (35" - ~91")
Mfr# 3109 | B&H# BO3109
Looks like it has a 5/8"-27 female thread on the bottom, according to the specs on B&H.  Has a combination 5/8" stud and 3/8"-16 male thread tip on the top.  Much less expensive than the custom APIC extension (by about half!).  Wish I could fit a 3' pole on my motorcycle more easily, I'd save myself a few bucks.

evidently, the 3019 is discontinued. i just bought the 099b, which is the replacement model for the 3109 (b+h link). the thing is sweet!! it is sturdy, TALL, and it works great with my superclamp: i use one of those 013 spigots - one end drops into the bottom female slot on the pole (which has its own tension knob), and the other end of the spigot drops into the quick-release hole of the superclamp, allowing the pole to be rotated the full 360 degrees. my only gripe with this extension pole is that it is not air-cushioned (the thing goes high up, and it sure does come down in a hurry  :o ).

my FAVORITE piece of clamping gear is the quick-action superclamp (b+h link). it is identical to the regular superclamp, except for the new quick-action mechanism (which is really simple and cool). the thing LOCKS and RELEASES in a jiffy, yet it is just as sturdy and secure as the standard superclamp. the tighten knob is smaller, too, which is a bonus when using the thing in a tight spot, which i sometimes have to do...

so, my clamp/extension quiver looks like this...

• manfrotto #635 quick release superclamp
  • manfrotto heavy-duty flex arm
  • manfrotto #099b extension pole
  • manfrotto #042 extension arm
  • manfrotto #013 spigot
  • 1/4" > 3/8" male adapter
  • 3/8" > 5/8" male adapter
  • manfrotto #061 and #061ra joining studs
  • manfrotto #035 standard superclamp
  • windtech msa1 clamp

i dont think that there is anything else i need (other than a good, solid, sturdy stand, which i do also have). the heavy-duty flex arm is the work horse, and does almost anything i need it to do. the only place it lacks is straight-on horizontal extension, which is the purpose of carrying the 042 arm. finally, the 099b pole is used for the bigger extension jobs...

if i had my druthers, i would use my superclamp, and above accessories, 100% of the time; a couple times a year (usually outdoors) i need to use a stand, but in most of the clubs/bars/venues where i record, a clamp is preferable. in fact, the biggest problem i encounter when recording is the footprint of the stand; getting the stand legs off of the floor (by eliminating the stand), and clamping to a table, drink rail, ceiling, i-beam, etc. is really the way to go. i used to think a superclamp was overkill, but i kind of need to use one, considering that i run a large shockmount and the c422; i feel the standard c-type clamp is not sturdy enough. in contrast, my gear is well below the weight limits on the superclamp, pole, and arms...

as far as the spigots go, i have had an old 3/8" by 1/4" one that i have used with my flexarm for years; this new one (#013) is a bit beefier, and is designed to fit in the #042 arm with which it came. i use a 1/4" > 3/8" male adapter so the spigot effectively has 2x 3/8" male ends;  i need to do this because the flex arm tops off with the 3/8" female opening, and to use either of the shockmounts i own, i need to use a 3/8" male end, so i can use the 3/8" > 5/8" male adapter, since the mounts have the standard 5/8" female opening...

for joining the two superclamps together, i picked up the connector studs (#061 and #061RA). to be honest, i don't know if i would bother with this otherwise, but rather than get rid of the 035 clamp when i bought the new quick-action one, i bought the two connector bolts - i have yet to use them, but i am ready if the occasion arises ;)
you dont need these bolts at all - since i have an extra spigot, i use that, and i am not limited to the angles on the studs, since the spigots can rotate 360 degrees...

finally, i have a windtech msa1 clamp for the rare instance when i need to clamp onto someone else's stand. the extension bar on that thing (msa1) is sturdy enough for my gear, and i think the clamp mechanism itself is superior (read "more secure") to what is offered by a standard c-type clamp (which isnt sturdy/beefy enough for my needs)...

now if i could only find like an eighteen inch offset arm that will clamp to the pole and accept the superclamp spigot...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:57:15 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
Re: my complete clamping setup
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »
i bought that 042 extension arm, and it wont really work to join two superclamps together because of the angle on the hex bolt end (it doesnt always line up the two superclamps at the right angles; the spigot end obviously rotates 360 degrees). i will, however, use it to get a bit of extension (out, horizontally) when i clamp to a vertical i-beam, which is what i bought it for - thx for the part number...

Hmmmm...just checked, and I got the part # wrong.  Sorry!  It's Bogen 203 Extension Arm (for Mini Clamp, though it works in the SuperClamp).  The 203 doesn't have a hex end, it's circular, allowing for variable angle instead of one of 6 angles due to the hex.  Going back to edit my original post...
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.323 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com