Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Versatile Setup  (Read 2134 times)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Versatile Setup
« on: December 15, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
So I am looking to buy a versatile stand/clamp setup for my AKG 480s.

Here is what I'm thinking, any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Mic Stand: Manfrotto 1052BAC Compact Stand
Adjustable Pole: Manfrotto 122B (21-33") - Assuming I can use this pole to extended the 1052
Clamp: Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:02:50 PM by nolamule »

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Versatile Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
So I am looking to buy a versatile stand/clamp setup for my AKG 480s.

Here is what I'm thinking, any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Mic Stand: Manfrotto 1052BAC Compact Stand
Adjustable Pole: Manfrotto 122B (21-33") - Assuming I can use this pole to extended the 1052
Clamp: Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp

I used to use an extension on my small FOB stand. However, I wouldn't recommend a Super Clamp due to its weight on a FOB stand. I've only used my Super Clamp to attach to a seat's armrest, balcony rail, etc.

EDIT: I see that's not a FOB stand, but I would still want to use a smaller, lighter clamp on a stand.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:40:45 PM by StuStu »
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »
You'd be better off with a taller stand than trying to use an extension, IMO. The one you have listed apparently only goes to 7.7'. Which would be a minimum for most of the stuff we do.

I have owned Manfrotto and Impact stands. While the Manfrotto is of a better build quality, the Impact does a fine job for me. I have also owned air-cushioned and regular stands and I never saw any benefit from the air cushioning. If you are running something heavy up high it may help prevent things from crashing down fast if you have a stand malfunction while setting up or breaking down.

The Manfrotto 099B is a popular extension around here. It can be coupled with a super clamp or the 649 quick release to clamp to rails, ledges balconies, etc. and extends to 8'.  The lighter and shorter extension would be better for horizontal extension.

The Impact Super Clamp works just as well as the Manfrotto IME, at $10 less.

I also keep a couple of goosenecks and several thread adapters on hand (5/8-27 female to 3/8-16 male and vice versa, etc. just in case)

I use the K&M 23550 bar usually on a Windtech C-clamp to mount mics: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298908-REG/WindTech_MPC_10_Multi_Position_C_Type_Clamp.html
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:05:35 AM »
For the most part I'm in agreement with the previous posts.  I think hoppedup has a good point in that you might be better off with a taller stand rather than try to use an extension on the top of a shorter one.  The manufacturers have certain specs in mind when they design a stand (generally, height vs. footprint) and when you add an extension to the top you're doing something that wasn't intended, it throws that balance out of whack, and you likely have a higher probability of the rig tipping over.  It doesn't mean that it will tip over but when you have ~7.5 feet and throw another 2.5 to 3 feet on top of that without increasing the footprint of the stand, it's not quite as stable and also not meant to carry as much weight.  And I think he's right in that ~7.5 feet is the bare minimum that you would need or want unless you're running head-height FOB.  BTW, I think air cushioning is a nice feature as I've sometimes unintentionally let risers slip and it's jarring to have your gear come crashing down rather than ease down on the cushioning. 

As also noted, the Manfrotto 099B is a great and versatile extension but it's minimum length is nearly 3 feet which could be a touch too long for the task at hand.  That's what's nice about the 122B when you require something shorter.  You can also connect the 099 and 012B (the 122 with a detachable base) together to make a pretty neat FOB stand but it's not terribly sturdy. 

As far as the Manfrotto vs. Impact debate, I own pieces from both manufacturers and they will both do a fine job.  That said, if I were to do it over again, I'd pay the extra money for all Manfrotto hardware due to the better build quality and design.  The only place where I've found it doesn't matter a whit is in the Super Clamps: build quality is virtually the same for both manufacturers, IMHO.  And it's also a good idea to have a Windtech C-clamp or two handy for those times where the Super Clamp is too heavy or you need a different solution. 

As a final note, if you're doing any kind of clamping where your mics and gear will be hanging off into the abyss, safety cables are an absolute must.  They're inexpensive and you'll look like someone who knows what he's doing as the venue's manager looks nervously on while you're manipulating your rig in thin air over the patron's heads.  The likelihood that you'll have something fall due to your negligence or the failure of a piece of gear is pretty small, but why take the chance when a well-placed $5 piece of wire and metal can help avoid a catastrophic event like destroyed gear or, much worse, injury to an innocent bystander below?  Better safe than sorry. 

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Lots of clamping/rigging info here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151303.0
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com