Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: David Josephson describes C617 in detail  (Read 2830 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
David Josephson describes C617 in detail
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UisnRsbfEWg

This is an old video but I've never seen it here before.  The designer describing this very unique and amazing omni mic.  A couple notable points:

- Around 3:00, he describes that the Gefell MK221 capsule is made for Josephson to tighter tolerances than the measurement customers call for.
- The most interesting part may be around 8:00 where he shows the one-piece nickel diaphragm grown in-place on the capsule.

If I ever have $4k burning a hole in my pocket, I know what I'm buying...
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: David Josephson describes C617 in detail
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the link voltronic. I mentioned Josephson in your other thread. The demonstration of the pure nickel diaphragm is kick ass.
from the comments:

the best part about the 617's being that they are supported by all 48v preamps, rather than being limited to any one particular one like most of the high-voltage omni meaurement mics that are out there.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: David Josephson describes C617 in detail
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »
I use the 617s regularly on a Jecklin Disc for piano recordings, but with the 1" Gefell MK102.1 capsules.  I'll try to do a few things next month with the Josephson-branded MK221s, I haven't used them in a few years.  Comparisons are hard, since the results vary with pianists and repertory, I find (and I only have two C617 bodies).  I recently did a recording of a baroque string group with harpsichord with the Josephson C700S and it turned out spectacular (didn't even need the spots on the harpsichord); the same mic and position did not work so well yesterday for piano, clarinet and strings (Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time), okay when the music was soft but the reflections in the room (I think) muddied up the louder passages (and uncharacteristically noisy HVAC didn't help the quiet parts either).  Maybe I need to get some of the Josephson cardioids with the petrified loufa screens (yes, I do like Josephson mics a lot).

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com